Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 30, 2019 at 11:36 AM Post #49,936 of 151,483
.....{{{snip}}}}From the manual:.....{{{{snip}}}.....1 Vents. Asgard 3 runs 500mW of Class A bias (for 32 ohm loads), so it runs plenty warm. Don’t block these vents, and don’t spill your Chardonnay in them, either. Nor coffee. Nor Coke. Or let your cat throw up in it. You get the basic idea, right?
Oy. Your repair departments going to get some bizzare warranty work (perhaps one day you can post some images of what spills into your units... a rouge's gallery). So stacking other Schiit gear on top of Asgard 3 (or other units with convection cooling [air vents] is a no-no. 10-4. If I can see red (mainboard), let it vent!

Um, did anyone else visualize bambi-meets-godzilla with his quote? :ksc75smile:

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #49,937 of 151,483
How about "Bifrost 2?" Seriously, can we please kill the nicknames?.....{{snip}}....
This seems to be an inherent risk of advertising on social media & trying to optimize search results.
My public radio has a show called, Under the Influence (The Age Of Persuasion).
...cute brand names & shock-value(?)....
https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radi...20-to-bleep-or-not-to-bleep-vulgar-trademarks
...real-time advertising...
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...-time-advertising/id493536367?i=1000430603286

You should consider doing it, but release em as a Cyber Monday promo . Put something out to Guttenberg and Darko in the week(s) before. It would undoubtedly drive traffic to your site, and you'd end up selling people on a bunch of other Schiit, in addition to the classic stacks.

This sounds a bit like what MassDrop used to do (i.e., limited runs of 'classic' or 'remodeled' or 're-released Hi-Fi gear). And, @Rensek , you're right on the money. Schiit needs new users (not us).

Don't feel guilty. I think that I speak for everyone when I say that we are glad to help.

Kind Regards
Crowd sourcing!
try the konami code

I see what you did there!
Does Schiit have any plans on introducing a Canadian distributor?
+1 on that request.
I get it. However, you add $50 and you're at the price of the delta-sigma Gungnir. I suspect they wanted to keep below that point. Besides, while Schiit has shown a willingness to cannibalize their products in the past, keeping the A variant in the Bifrost 2 and leaving the B to Gungnir results in a more logical overall product mix, considering their whole line of DACs.
I wonder if a **Thunderdome** effect will manifest itself between the Gungnir & Bifrost 2? Hmmmm....
I don't mind helping with the website corrections either (I PM'd though to keep the thread clean), a large part of my job is reviewing new policies or doctrine so I automatically do it when I read anyway.

Since you used to build speakers (prior to Schiit), I'd be very interested to hear what you think makes a good speaker design and the way you view the tradeoffs of different features. I figure you will not make any specific brand/model recommendations and that is fine.

I'm in the market for some high efficiency speakers for music....

If you did bite the bullet and build speakers again I'd be very interested. Gjallarhorn would be an awesome name for it.
...curious...

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #49,939 of 151,483
Oy. Your repair departments going to get some bizarre warranty work (perhaps one day you can post some images of what spills into your units... a rouge's gallery). So stacking other Schiit gear on top of Asgard 3 (or other units with convection cooling [air vents] is a no-no. 10-4. If I can see red (mainboard), let it vent!

Um, did anyone else visualize Bambi-meets-Godzilla with his quote? :ksc75smile:

I have always been content to use Yggdrasil or Bifrost or Gungnir in the first reference, and later in the article, I might refer to it as a Yggy or Bimby. I don't mind Bifrost 2, which seems like the Lincoln Continental Mark series.
The casual reference to weird abbreviations saves the reader or writer no time if it fails to communicate the name of the device. I like the Norse mythological references for naming, and I like Classic Silver metal, and I like the Schiit Sound.

So @Jason Stoddard, if you call it 'Bifrost 2', that is the name I choose to use.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #49,940 of 151,483
So what you are saying is the Bifrost 2 is unbuyable?

I am not sure how you are getting unbuyable. Bifrost 2 has less precision than the Gungnir Multibit, but also costs less. Just like how the Modi Multibit is lower quality than the Bifrost 2. If you want and are able to spend $550 more for the Gungnir Multibit, cool. For others, Bifrost 2 is good enough or more within their budget.

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:21 PM Post #49,941 of 151,483
I am not sure how you are getting unbuyable. Bifrost 2 has less precision than the Gungnir Multibit, but also costs less.

I was being flippant. But in all seriousness how much of that spec actually matters though? If it doesn't, then I'm not sure you can say it has "less precision", whatever "precision" is supposed to mean here.

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:40 PM Post #49,942 of 151,483
I was being flippant. But in all seriousness how much of that spec actually matters though? If it doesn't, then I'm not sure you can say it has "less precision", whatever "precision" is supposed to mean here.

Ah, my mistake. Well, I looked and INL is Integral Nonlinearity, so that is the measurement of how much the DAC deviates from linearity. LSB is Least Significan Bit which I have looked into some but still am wrapping my head around, and I should get back to work.

Simply looking at the numbers, +/- 0.5 is a bit smaller than +/-4, but I leave it to more intelligent people to say just how significant that is, or if it is like the difference of a 116 db SNR to a 115 dB SNR (some might notice it, others might not care or not consider the difference worth the price difference).

For some reading if wanted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_nonlinearity

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #49,943 of 151,483
@Jason Stoddard

Are there any plans to incorporate relay-switched volume on any of the HP amps? Or the SYS? Channel imbalance on a HP is even more obvious than on a full stereo rig.

Not at any sane price level or size--it would only fit in a Mjolnir-sized amp, and Mjolnir is really too big. And we have tons of Asgard-sized headamps. And the Alps RK27 series pots are really good.

The info on the analog stage is great. But there is no mention of any clocking scheme used. As I recall Bifrost had a better clocking scheme than ModiMultibit, but not the AdaptiClock that Gungnir and Yggy have. Does Bifrost 2 retain the Bifrost clocking scheme? This is probably a Mike question.

Mike: "Use the USB."

Wolf Creek? Does The Refinery make their own beer now?

Pocock.

Does Schiit have any plans on introducing a Canadian distributor?

To do what? Increase prices? Honestly asking--I don't know what they could do for us in Canada. Is there some advantage that I don't know about?

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 30, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #49,944 of 151,483
Ah, my mistake. Well, I looked and INL is Integral Nonlinearity, so that is the measurement of how much the DAC deviates from linearity. LSB is Least Significan Bit which I have looked into some but still am wrapping my head around, and I should get back to work.

Simply looking at the numbers, +/- 0.5 is a bit smaller than +/-4, but I leave it to more intelligent people to say just how significant that is, or if it is like the difference of a 116 db SNR to a 115 dB SNR (some might notice it, others might not care or not consider the difference worth the price difference).

For some reading if wanted:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral_nonlinearity

For the numbers guys, Bifrost actually measures better than Gungnir Multibit, despite the lower-spec parts. It appears to be a bit of an overblown problem, or THD isn't correlated to INL. But then again, hardcore measure-ers won't buy True Multibit anyway, because it won't perform at the same level as delta-sigma on the analyzer. If you want to chase numbers, there's Modi 3.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Aug 30, 2019 at 12:55 PM Post #49,945 of 151,483
Sadly the hardcore measurement extremists don't have ears. You know the only thing that matters when it comes to how good something sounds.

Oh and I hope that isn't taken as a knock against the Modi 3, because that is a damn fine DAC. At $99 it's a steal, could be endgame for some not interested in chasing the last 10% of pixie dust

Aug 30, 2019 at 12:58 PM Post #49,947 of 151,483
For the numbers guys, Bifrost actually measures better than Gungnir Multibit, despite the lower-spec parts. It appears to be a bit of an overblown problem, or THD isn't correlated to INL. But then again, hardcore measure-ers won't buy True Multibit anyway, because it won't perform at the same level as delta-sigma on the analyzer. If you want to chase numbers, there's Modi 3.

Thanks for the further clarification. I do not consider myself to be a numbers chaser, but I do enjoy understanding what numbers are supposed to mean and how they are used.

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #49,949 of 151,483
Sadly the hardcore measurement extremists don't have ears. You know the only thing that matters when it comes to how good something sounds.

Oh and I hope that isn't taken as a knock against the Modi 3, because that is a damn fine DAC. At $99 it's a steal, could be endgame for some not interested in chasing the last 10% of pixie dust

Honestly have to agree. For me Multibit dacs eliminated the low-level fatigue I always got with delta-sigma dacs. My ears finally truly relaxed after I got a multibit dac.

Aug 30, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #49,950 of 151,483
Now we need Saga to have some cheap ass balance ins and outs

I might be wrong but I don’t think “cheap ass balanced” would really apply to a preamp.

But regardless, I was thinking the same thing, especially given that the preamp Thunderdome is still going.

However, this amounts to asking for a Freya S with fewer inputs, a smaller chassis, and fewer relay steps, so I’m skeptical that the price would be different enough from Freya S to justify its existence.

*By the way, if Jason doesn’t mind sharing, I’m sure we would all love to know how the preamp wars are going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back