Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 16, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #4,878 of 152,821
I only turn my gear off (and unplug it) when we're going on vacation...I like to keep my components nice and warmed up. I have turned off tube gear if I know I'm not going to be using it for several days. It wouldn't bother me in the least if my Gungnir came without a power switch. 

I do understand that opinions vary but if you spend too much time worrying about your components and their button/switch orientation (once you have your system together) it'll take away from your enjoyment of what is truly important and in this case that would be your music. 

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #4,879 of 152,821
I don't see what the difficulty of hitting those power switches. I have two Schiit piles

Magni 1 on top of a Modi 2 Uber. The power switches are vertically aligned. The devices are about as wide as your hand, put your hand on top and you will find the switch of the Magni. Once you power that off, the same finger will reach the Modi's power switch whithout having to move your hand.

Asgard 2 on top of a Bifrost Uber USB2. These are much wider than your hand, but if you place your hand slightly left of the top of the Asgard you will easily find the power switch. Again the Bifrost's power switch is aligned just below and requires a little reach as these units are taller. You will adapt to this quickly and hit these switches without thinking.

I have no problems finding the power switches of either stack. I would guess that they designed them to be aligned or else it was a wonderful stroke of luck. Are we done whinging?

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:08 AM Post #4,880 of 152,821
I think that the switch should be placed underneath the unit on the bottom of the chassis. Gotta stop those feral little fingers from turning the thing off.

Bettter still, delete the switch and power the unit on and off from the power point.

Think of the bucks saved by not having a power switch....

Pure win - right there.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #4,883 of 152,821
I just did not realise the bifrost can be upgraded to uber analog as well as uber gen 2 usb. I am tempted to get one while I save up for Yggdrasil. This hobby sucks my wallet dry lol.:)

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #4,884 of 152,821
A few months shy of 2 years since the Uber 1 was released. But I have a feeling if an Uber 2 would be released, it would be more expensive than $70, since it would probably be knocking on the door of the Gungnir.

If I understood previous writings correctly, Uber 1 IS the analog section of the Grungir (but a SE version). If there was an Uber 2, it would either mean adding more output features to the Bifrost, or effectively making it superior to the Grungir (again, aside from the lack of balanced topology). Of course, the digital section of the Bifrost is still the same no matter what, and as such it seems that a further SQ upgrade past Uber would be somewhat moot. EG the digital section of Bifrost would become a sort of bottleneck.

Buuuut I could always be wrong. Of course that's one of the reasons this thread exists.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #4,885 of 152,821
I only threw out the Uber 2 to get some different chatter on here.  I really like my Uber already.  
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #4,886 of 152,821
If I understood previous writings correctly, Uber 1 IS the analog section of the Grungir (but a SE version). If there was an Uber 2, it would either mean adding more output features to the Bifrost, or effectively making it superior to the Grungir (again, aside from the lack of balanced topology). Of course, the digital section of the Bifrost is still the same no matter what, and as such it seems that a further SQ upgrade past Uber would be somewhat moot. EG the digital section of Bifrost would become a sort of bottleneck.

Buuuut I could always be wrong. Of course that's one of the reasons this thread exists.

Why should the digital section become a bottleneck if its data throughput far exceeds what is required for digital audio?

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:06 PM Post #4,887 of 152,821
  Well said! Made me smile. It seems that whenever someone has anything percieved as a negative to say about Schiit and its' products a bunch of arm chair philosophers start sprouting all sorts of BS to justify Schiits' actions and marketing policies.
We are all entitled to our opinions as this is a public forum and one would hope that the participants would not villify someone with an opposing point of view to their own.
I, for one, would like the power switch for my electronics on the front as per normal accepted practice and not around the back where it is rather inconvenient and ,in my opinion, bad design and safety practice. Now just keep your shorts on, this is just my own 2c worth and has not dissuaded me from purchasing the Schiit products that I have already purchased and enjoy, I just wish they were more convenient for ME to use on a daily basis.
Yeah, yeah, I know that Jason and Co. are all Gods and can do no harm, but let me remind you that even the greats screw up every so often and I consider this a screw up in ergonomics. Imagine, if you will, if we all left all of our electronics turned on all the time as the power button was inconveniently located! What a waste of energy! And yes, I know that individually this does not amount to much, but collectively it certainly does and to advocate that one simply turn it on and leave it indefinatley is not sound advice from an energy or safety perspective.
I llike my Schiit a lot but I feel it could be improved at minimal cost to the consumer.
OK, kiddies, Pavlov has just rung your bell! Let the show begin.

All I could add to that is: +1.  People, however smart they are, shouldn't be afraid to be questioned.

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #4,888 of 152,821
There's no reason for either side of this switch "debate" to go making personal accusations about the other. The only thing that's clear here is that some people feel more strongly about switch positioning than others, and that among those people, some strongly prefer to have their switches in the front for various reasons. No one needs to "win" this debate as there is no debate to win, nor is there any reason to attack each other or Schiit. :)

Of course, there's nothing wrong with weighing in on either side so that Schiit knows what its customers prefer. I'm sure they take such feedback seriously. There may be engineering reasons to do things the way they've done, or price point reasons, or simply personal preference on their own part building the gear they want to use themselves. We trust them to make these decisions for us based on their experience, and to make the best product they can for their customers. If they succeed, people will buy them. If they don't, they won't. And it'll all work itself out.

The one productive thing we can do is not get at each other's throats about this. :p We all care deeply about this hobby and want the best gear we can get at the best price, and I hope we can all accept the idea of submitting our preferences for consideration and then allowing Schiit to make the decisions they feel best. If these decisions result in gear that doesn't fit your needs, then there's plenty of other gear out there. Just as any successful business, I'm sure they understand both sides and aren't trying to flip anyone the bird by doing one thing or the other, and they probably don't need a reminder that some people may not buy their gear because they made less-common choices about things like switch types and positions. 

This post is not intended to "defend" Schiit or "justify" them in any way as they need neither defense nor justification. I happen to fall in the camp of "I don't care where the switch is," but that's just my own view and I don't expect anyone else to feel the same way. One thing I feel strongly about, though, is that we refrain from attacking each other personally when discussing our preferences for gear. It makes the forum tiring and decreases the quality of the thread. I for one really value ALL of the opinions in this thread, from Schiit and others, whether I agree with them or not. :) None of us know everything, and we can all learn a lot from others here. I certainly have.

Jan 16, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #4,889 of 152,821
Hey guys, it's like this: the switches aren't moving to the front (at least not anytime soon). This is based on our own engineering decisions and preferences. If they are not to your preferences, I understand completely.

However, this has given me a great topic for the next week's chapter, which could be summed up as "When to Listen, and When To Act." In short, listen all the time, but act only after careful consideration. I'll include at least one example from outside the audio industry where acting without careful consideration (and benchmarking against the competition) has resulted in a very costly, owner-unfriendly solution...that paradoxically many owners would ask for...if not outright demand.

Next chapter after that will be a fun one: Our Favorite Scammers...And How To Avoid Them

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jan 16, 2015 at 2:56 PM Post #4,890 of 152,821
^ well said Shembot

Users who are viewing this thread

Back