1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. audio philestine
    What, no VU meters?

RIP, ORT.

2. Ableza
    Nah I'd just be depressed since I gave mine away ten years ago.

EricDH likes this.
  3. GearMe
    Betamax!

W S L likes this.
  4. Xcalibur255
    Why not just play the vinyl and skip the copying part?

Unless you're making mix tapes, in which case party on.

5. judson_w
    One reason I can see for maybe copying over is that with a cassette tape, you do not need to get up ever fifteen minutes or so to flip the record. Though if you are going to copy to tape, go all the way with reel to reel. (mostly kidding).

6. PioBeer
    I kind of think of my vinyl as the 'master tape' *snicker* so I don't want to play it more than I have to to keep the wear and tear down. I also sometimes don't want to be bothered to get up off the couch and walk over to the TT to changing the record side every 15-20 minutes. With cassette I wouldn't have to worry about it - but it would still be in glorious analog

neoaudiophyte and Snowpuppy77 like this.
  7. Robert Padgett
    That is a good case for digital files. I have actually listened to hours of music, without flipping anything but the left button on a mouse. It is pretty good quality, especially if you rip your albums to MP3 @ 320 (I am JOKING!) but 16/44 will be even better. Plus I have a plastic storage tub full of third, fourth, up to 16th generation Grateful Dead tapes...

8. QueYo
    I have a lot of fond memories of cassettes, but I've never been tempted to put the words cassette. And glorious in the same sentence.

9. Snowpuppy77
    I used to always take my new vinyl and tape it when fresh and clean on high quality tapes. These tapes always sounded excellent. I can personally see where you are coming from. My Dad has an NAD tape deck in storage. I may ask him if I could use it for a while.

PioBeer likes this.
  10. PioBeer
    I think if you do it right, with good quality gear and good quality tapes it can sound really fantastic...I would buy a $300-$400 tape deck from schiit

Ripper2860 likes this.
  11. PioBeer
    Also, wouldn't need an F'n GUI to rip the vinyl like I would with a digital file. (the last thing I want to do is dork around with windows again at the end of a long day). Copying vinyl to cassette is a much more straightforward process, I think

Ripper2860 likes this.
  12. Ripper2860
    Decisions. Decisions ... :wink:

Capture2.JPG Capture.JPG

13. jimmers
    or ...
    [​IMG]

14. Ripper2860
    Not very retro, but ...

I LOVE IT!!!!!

AudioGal likes this.
  15. judson_w
    Personally, I would go with the one on the right. It can handle up to 10.5" reels. Mine only goes up to 7". Also 7.5 ips. I feel that one in the picture can probably do 15 ips but it is hard to tell.

sam6550a and Ripper2860 like this.