Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 10, 2019 at 4:15 PM Post #48,196 of 151,272
Cassette decks regaining popularity? Is this the latest hipster trend? They might as well eat Tide pods.

Look for prices of a Nakamichi Dragon or CR-7 (or even a ZX-7) on Audiogon or Hifishark. You would be surprised.

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:19 PM Post #48,197 of 151,272
somewhere inside of me there is an audiophile snob that very much likes the fact that the signal stays analog when I record from vinyl over to cassette. No AD conversion required. This thought releases a great deal of endorphins I reckon.

Jul 10, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #48,199 of 151,272
Look for prices of a Nakamichi Dragon or CR-7 (or even a ZX-7) on Audiogon or Hifishark. You would be surprised.
Nah I'd just be depressed since I gave mine away ten years ago.

Jul 10, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #48,201 of 151,272
somewhere inside of me there is an audiophile snob that very much likes the fact that the signal stays analog when I record from vinyl over to cassette. No AD conversion required. This thought releases a great deal of endorphins I reckon.

Why not just play the vinyl and skip the copying part?

Unless you're making mix tapes, in which case party on.

Jul 10, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #48,202 of 151,272
Why not just play the vinyl and skip the copying part?

Unless you're making mix tapes, in which case party on.

One reason I can see for maybe copying over is that with a cassette tape, you do not need to get up ever fifteen minutes or so to flip the record. Though if you are going to copy to tape, go all the way with reel to reel. (mostly kidding).

Jul 10, 2019 at 5:30 PM Post #48,203 of 151,272
I kind of think of my vinyl as the 'master tape' *snicker* so I don't want to play it more than I have to to keep the wear and tear down. I also sometimes don't want to be bothered to get up off the couch and walk over to the TT to changing the record side every 15-20 minutes. With cassette I wouldn't have to worry about it - but it would still be in glorious analog

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #48,204 of 151,272
I kind of think of my vinyl as the 'master tape' *snicker* so I don't want to play it more than I have to to keep the wear and tear down. I also sometimes don't want to be bothered to get up off the couch and walk over to the TT to changing the record side every 15-20 minutes. With cassette I wouldn't have to worry about it - but it would still be in glorious analog

That is a good case for digital files. I have actually listened to hours of music, without flipping anything but the left button on a mouse. It is pretty good quality, especially if you rip your albums to MP3 @ 320 (I am JOKING!) but 16/44 will be even better. Plus I have a plastic storage tub full of third, fourth, up to 16th generation Grateful Dead tapes...

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #48,205 of 151,272
I have a lot of fond memories of cassettes, but I've never been tempted to put the words cassette. And glorious in the same sentence.

Jul 10, 2019 at 6:31 PM Post #48,206 of 151,272

I used to always take my new vinyl and tape it when fresh and clean on high quality tapes. These tapes always sounded excellent. I can personally see where you are coming from. My Dad has an NAD tape deck in storage. I may ask him if I could use it for a while.

Jul 10, 2019 at 7:00 PM Post #48,208 of 151,272
Also, wouldn't need an F'n GUI to rip the vinyl like I would with a digital file. (the last thing I want to do is dork around with windows again at the end of a long day). Copying vinyl to cassette is a much more straightforward process, I think

Jul 10, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #48,209 of 151,272
Decisions. Decisions ... :wink:

Capture2.JPG Capture.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back