Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 10, 2019 at 1:42 PM Post #48,181 of 149,196
I for one am holding out for the Schiit 8-track...and the Ultramax Loki with 16 bands...
As long as it's 16 bands of graphic EQ with LED lights in each channel so I can see the smiling face curve in the dark.

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #48,182 of 149,196
Little or free? That's not true anymore, cassette decks are increasingly getting popular, and prices are skyrocketing. Try to find a decent secondhand Nakamichi, preferably a 3 head deck. NOT CHEAP!!! A donated my CR-4E to my son, and regretted it once I discovered what they cost nowadays.
Cassette decks regaining popularity? Is this the latest hipster trend? They might as well eat Tide pods.

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #48,184 of 149,196
Time to list my Sony Walkman Sports on eBay!! Cha-ching!!!! :wink:

Capture.JPG

Jul 10, 2019 at 1:55 PM Post #48,186 of 149,196
To be honest when I was a kid I never heard an audiophile cassette deck, only the junk pictured above. On you tube there are some fantastic cassette "rips" with audiophile equipment which is piquing my interest a bit

Jul 10, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #48,187 of 149,196
Cassettes are making a small resurgence. With analog making a bit of a comeback, cassettes are a cheaper and easier option for smaller and indie artists than making a vinyl release. I just picked up a tape deck from the local goodwill a couple weeks ago. It is by no means spectacular, but it does the job for my small but now slowly growing collection. I bought it because I had order an album on vinyl from bandcamp and went for the package that came with a cassette EP and I really wanted a means for listening to it.

Jul 10, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #48,188 of 149,196
I tired to pick up a cassette deck to match my Schiit but it is hard to find one at the right place. The last one I picked up had a bad uptake wheel and just spooled tape all over the place.
Anyone have an idea of a Casste deck that would look good next to some Shiit?

Jul 10, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #48,191 of 149,196
So in my experience older cassette tapes regularly get "eaten". Is this because of bad tape or bad players?
Yes, both. Plus it is just a characteristic of the format. Cassettes suck. Big time. And I say this as a former owner of a Nakamichi Dragon and also of several Tascam pro decks. Cassettes should stay in the dustbin of history.

Jul 10, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #48,194 of 149,196
Since we are sharing... :wink:

Capture.JPG

Jul 10, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #48,195 of 149,196
Hey, I’m pretty new to high end audio and have been really enjoying my Schiit stack (Modi, Lokki, Magni). Recently I had a chance to demo a pair of Grado GS1000e's and HD800S' with Bryston's headphone amp. I was blown away by the GS1000e and wasn't really impressed by the HD800S. I bought theGS1000e and have been on the hunt for some new equipment.

Naturally, I’m looking at what Schiit has, but the best components are all focused on balanced outputs ad opposed to single ended. Amazingly the GS1000e doesn't have detachable cables. I could return the GS1000e and get the GS2000e which can be ordered with a balanced cable.

When I read about the Ragnarok 2 not having a summed outputs I thought I that might be the right thing for me. I’m just not sure if the Multibit DAC in it will be as good as the one in others like the Gungnir.

Can anyone give me some insight as to how the Ragnarok 2 Multibit sounds compared to maybe a Gungnir and Mjolnir 2?
A friend sent his Grado 1000 headphones in and Grado rewired them for balanced playback. It wasn't very expensive but took some time. Grado is a small company.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back