1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. Snowpuppy77
    What you see there is the Ragnarok 2. The name just says Ragnarok on the link and title. Read description section and the FAQ.

2. Charente
    Maybe it's just me, but I can't find a Ragnarok listing on the website ... which section are you seeing the Ragnarok on ?

EDIT: BTW I'm looking at the UK site

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  3. ScubaMan2017
    I'll be landing in a new high school in the Fall. I'll see what kind of music department they have. If it's mature, perhaps I'll plan something out. I appreciated your sage advice, @gefski ...I'll keep my expectations in check, eh. :)
    Welcome to the thread, @gefski (based on your post count... hell, you could be a umpteen year veteran). :ksc75smile:

4. Snowpuppy77
    I just went to the UK website and I did not see it either. May not be ready for the UK yet. If you want to read about it here is the link to the USA page:

https://www.schiit.com/products/ragnarok-5

5. Derrick Swart
    Better buy from NL i’d guess, probably better in euros and shipping

Charente likes this.
  6. Alcophone
    Update 1: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I used the gain switch, not the speaker/headphone mode switch. Still, the left channel buzzes, the right one doesn't.

Update 2:
    the headphone out is unusable. Even on low gain, the left channel buzzes loudly - loud without me even wearing the headphones. I'm using the single ended output with Audio-Technica ATH-M50x.

I don't know whether I damaged something in the Rag 2 while stupidly increasing the gain at high volume, but it's not working right now.

Update 3: At least my instinct was right, the subwoofer wasn't running - the preout isn't active unless the headphone output is active. That doesn't make sense to me. I expected the preouts to either always be active, or be tied to the speaker mode, not the headphone out mode.

Original post, please disregard:

WARNING TO RAGNAROK 2 USERS

Do not switch between speaker/headphone modes while playing music at loud volume.

Here's my setup:
    Yggy > balanced out > XLR cables > Rag 2
    Rag 2 > binding posts > speaker cables > speakers
    Rag 2 > RCA jacks > RCA cables > subwoofer
    No headphones were connected at any point. Gain at lowest setting.

Everything was going fine, but this one test track didn't have the sub bass I expected. Turned the subwoofer off and on, didn't hear a difference. Thought maybe the single ended preout is only active in headphone mode, so I pushed the button (I was running with speakers out only at that point). Sound stopped. Pushed the button again, and heard either lots more bass, or it got louder altogether. Pushed the button again, silence (I think). Pushed the button again, WAY TOO LOUD WHY IS MY WOOFER FLYING BACK AND FORTH. Turned the volume all the way down, heard this buzz. Turned Rag 2 off, and back on. Buzz. Still some music coming out when I increase the volume, but there's this constant buzz out of the left channel (at least).

I thought it fried my speaker(s). Hooked Saga and Vidar back up... everything sounds fine, including the sub bass.

I will now experiment with Rag 2 and speakers / headphones that I don't mind losing (haven't tried headphones at all yet). Will keep you posted.

7. Snowpuppy77
    Good advice for any amp when switching.

ScubaMan2017 likes this.
  8. ScubaMan2017
    [​IMG]

audio philestine and gefski like this.
  9. ScubaMan2017
    Welcome to the thread, @claybomb :)

10. Alcophone
    Definitely. Although I didn't have any headphones connected, so I didn't think I had to be careful. Had I remembered that the unlabeled (!) gain button and the headphone/speaker mode button have exactly the same distance from the mode indicator, with the gain indicator far away on the other side of the volume knob, then, well, I would have expected this. Duh.

I knew this way before the Rag 2 was available. I saw that and thought that's a bad design choice. And still, I completely fell for it.

In low gain the left channel buzzes very quietly in speaker mode (now, or always has, don't know), and very loudly in headphone mode, so I'll have to send it back. Depending on how that ends, I'll tape over that gain button. Dangerous.

Rensek likes this.
  11. roshambo
    Ordered my Rag 2 last night. Looking forward to it!

Snowpuppy77, EELawson and Rensek like this.
  12. IndieGradoFan
    Are you sure about this? The Rag 1 preamp outs are only enabled when the speaker taps are enabled.

13. Alcophone
    It's the case on mine. Rag 1's behavior would be greatly preferred in my case. Speakers + sub via preout, or headphones.

Rensek and IndieGradoFan like this.
  14. Rensek
    Sounds like you have had some rain on your picnic mate, sorry to hear that.

I read the manual after your posts. I can imagine that in the weeks/months to come you won't be the only person to hit the gain button when you want to hit headphones/speakers vice versa. Hopefully you are the only one who has the issues you mentioned. Too bad that gain button couldn't be placed on the other side, next to the indicator.

I also just realized that there's mute buttons on the remote for Ragnarok, saga, Freya, but none on the front panels. Don't lose your remote! I only use my saga from a distance.

After reading the ragnarok manual I realized how great those back toggle switches are for folks with young children.

Turn that switch off when not in use and you will limit the chance that little Suzie or little Johnny blow their ears, or your speakers & headphones up while playing with the remote or front panel....

This is a fun toy for semi trained adults, not kids.

Also, last thought, while I think the front panel looks awesome, asthetically, does anyone else wonder what it would look like with toggle switches on the front?

Are toggle switches and remotes incompatible?

Alcophone likes this.
  15. Alcophone
    I just went back to double check this. Since the buzz is barely audible at low gain, I figured the Rag 2 probably didn't get damaged by me, but had the issue all along, and since I had already listened for at least 30 minutes prior, the risk seemed low.

But yeah, essentially the mode button acts like a speakers only / subwoofer only / speakers & subwoofer button. That has its charm when testing something since it works from the comfort of my couch. :) Too bad the manual doesn't document this at all. Ragnarok 1's manual had this note:
    No longer applies.

The subwoofer was quite a bit too loud just now - right for Saga + Vidar, but I need to lower its volume for use with Rag 2. That makes it very obvious whether it's getting a signal or not, though.

I used the same test song again (Fading Sun by Terje Isungset). Speakers only, sounded mostly okay except for some weird distortion* and the lack of sub bass. Then sub only and the apartment rattled. Oops :)

* I had noticed that distortion just before I accidentally changed the gain setting, but from far away on my couch thought maybe Rag 2 is resolving something I had not heard before. Up close, it sounds clearly wrong, though. So it had the issue all along.

For giggles, here's the moment I realized my mistake. With headphones, the buzz is obvious as well.

And a fun shot of Rag 2 and its uncle.

20190615_210047.jpg

Edit: Bonus content - relay clicking

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    ashirin, Pedro Janeiro, XERO1 and 5 others like this.