Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 15, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #47,582 of 149,125

I can't see the Ragnorok 2 on your website ... is it available for pre-order ?

Jun 15, 2019 at 5:19 PM Post #47,584 of 149,125
What you see there is the Ragnarok 2. The name just says Ragnarok on the link and title. Read description section and the FAQ.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't find a Ragnarok listing on the website ... which section are you seeing the Ragnarok on ?

EDIT: BTW I'm looking at the UK site

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 5:56 PM Post #47,585 of 149,125
When I was in retail audio many years ago, I was invited by a teacher to do just that. Set up a good basic system, turntable, receiver, loudspeakers, explained the basics of how it worked and what mattered, and listened to some music. Though they liked it when I played a cut from The Wall, only a couple of the kids (out of 30 or so) were interested enough to ask me any questions afterward. Maybe they continued in the hobby.

I think that is a reasonable (or very generous) expectation of the general public's interest in this hobby. (1 person out of 250 might be more realistic)

My own extended family, though always "hearing" music, doesn't actively listen to it. Only at meets with other audiophools does one really share the music, fun, and continued discovery. :L3000:
I'll be landing in a new high school in the Fall. I'll see what kind of music department they have. If it's mature, perhaps I'll plan something out. I appreciated your sage advice, @gefski ...I'll keep my expectations in check, eh. :)
Tidal->yggy A1_bal_->rag2->adante as-61
= Audio Nirvana
Least fatiguing sound without sacrificing detail with the hd800 that I have come across.
Welcome to the thread, @gefski (based on your post count... hell, you could be a umpteen year veteran). :ksc75smile:

Jun 15, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #47,586 of 149,125
Maybe it's just me, but I can't find a Ragnarok listing on the website ... which section are you seeing the Ragnarok on ?

I just went to the UK website and I did not see it either. May not be ready for the UK yet. If you want to read about it here is the link to the USA page:

https://www.schiit.com/products/ragnarok-5

Jun 15, 2019 at 6:54 PM Post #47,587 of 149,125

Better buy from NL i’d guess, probably better in euros and shipping

Jun 15, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #47,588 of 149,125
Update 1: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I used the gain switch, not the speaker/headphone mode switch. Still, the left channel buzzes, the right one doesn't.

Update 2:
the headphone out is unusable. Even on low gain, the left channel buzzes loudly - loud without me even wearing the headphones. I'm using the single ended output with Audio-Technica ATH-M50x.

I don't know whether I damaged something in the Rag 2 while stupidly increasing the gain at high volume, but it's not working right now.

Update 3: At least my instinct was right, the subwoofer wasn't running - the preout isn't active unless the headphone output is active. That doesn't make sense to me. I expected the preouts to either always be active, or be tied to the speaker mode, not the headphone out mode.

Original post, please disregard:

WARNING TO RAGNAROK 2 USERS

Do not switch between speaker/headphone modes while playing music at loud volume.

Here's my setup:
Yggy > balanced out > XLR cables > Rag 2
Rag 2 > binding posts > speaker cables > speakers
Rag 2 > RCA jacks > RCA cables > subwoofer
No headphones were connected at any point. Gain at lowest setting.

Everything was going fine, but this one test track didn't have the sub bass I expected. Turned the subwoofer off and on, didn't hear a difference. Thought maybe the single ended preout is only active in headphone mode, so I pushed the button (I was running with speakers out only at that point). Sound stopped. Pushed the button again, and heard either lots more bass, or it got louder altogether. Pushed the button again, silence (I think). Pushed the button again, WAY TOO LOUD WHY IS MY WOOFER FLYING BACK AND FORTH. Turned the volume all the way down, heard this buzz. Turned Rag 2 off, and back on. Buzz. Still some music coming out when I increase the volume, but there's this constant buzz out of the left channel (at least).

I thought it fried my speaker(s). Hooked Saga and Vidar back up... everything sounds fine, including the sub bass.

I will now experiment with Rag 2 and speakers / headphones that I don't mind losing (haven't tried headphones at all yet). Will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 7:08 PM Post #47,589 of 149,125
WARNING TO RAGNAROK 2 USERS

Do not switch between speaker/headphone modes while playing music at loud volume.

Here's my setup:
Yggy > balanced out > XLR cables > Rag 2
Rag 2 > binding posts > speaker cables > speakers
Rag 2 > RCA jacks > RCA cables > subwoofer
No headphones were connected at any point. Gain at lowest setting.

Everything was going fine, but this one test track didn't have the sub bass I expected. Turned the subwoofer off and on, didn't hear a difference. Thought maybe the single ended preout is only active in headphone mode, so I pushed the button (I was running with speakers out only at that point). Sound stopped. Pushed the button again, and heard either lots more bass, or it got louder altogether. Pushed the button again, silence (I think). Pushed the button again, WAY TOO LOUD WHY IS MY WOOFER FLYING BACK AND FORTH. Turned the volume all the way down, heard this buzz. Turned Rag 2 off, and back on. Buzz. Still some music coming out when I increase the volume, but there's this constant buzz out of the left channel (at least).

I thought it fried my speaker(s). Hooked Saga and Vidar back up... everything sounds fine, including the sub bass.

I will now experiment with Rag 2 and speakers / headphones that I don't mind losing (haven't tried headphones at all yet). Will keep you posted.

Good advice for any amp when switching.

Jun 15, 2019 at 7:14 PM Post #47,590 of 149,125
bttf-amplifier-speaker-dock-iphone-electric-guitar-marty-mcfly-2012.jpg

Jun 15, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #47,591 of 149,125
Tidal->yggy A1_bal_->rag2->adante as-61
= Audio Nirvana
Least fatiguing sound without sacrificing detail with the hd800 that I have come across.
Welcome to the thread, @claybomb :)

Jun 15, 2019 at 7:34 PM Post #47,592 of 149,125
Definitely. Although I didn't have any headphones connected, so I didn't think I had to be careful. Had I remembered that the unlabeled (!) gain button and the headphone/speaker mode button have exactly the same distance from the mode indicator, with the gain indicator far away on the other side of the volume knob, then, well, I would have expected this. Duh.

I knew this way before the Rag 2 was available. I saw that and thought that's a bad design choice. And still, I completely fell for it.

In low gain the left channel buzzes very quietly in speaker mode (now, or always has, don't know), and very loudly in headphone mode, so I'll have to send it back. Depending on how that ends, I'll tape over that gain button. Dangerous.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #47,594 of 149,125
Update 3: At least my instinct was right, the subwoofer wasn't running - the preout isn't active unless the headphone output is active. That doesn't make sense to me. I expected the preouts to either always be active, or be tied to the speaker mode, not the headphone out mode.

Are you sure about this? The Rag 1 preamp outs are only enabled when the speaker taps are enabled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back