1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. jimmers
    Thanks for the pics

You're a braver man than I, JJ.
    180 Volts plate voltage on your cardboard mounted 4 pin sockets? :fearful:

doesn't really worry us 240V AC people, it's like low voltage man :sunglasses:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
    ScubaMan2017 and johnjen like this.
  2. Rensek
    I love the toggle switches on Loki and Modi 3. I keep hoping a modi multibit or bifrost will be released someday that utilizes the toggle switch.

Mischif, ScubaMan2017 and Gazny like this.
  3. PioBeer
    I am noticing a marked SQ improvement with using the dedicated USB power along with the other USB port just for data (rather than just the data port for everything) on the Fulla 2. Man, this a beautiful piece of gear...(HD 598s and M1060Cs never sounded so good)

AudioGal, jmarcusg and QueYo like this.
  4. gefski
    We could have a chassis shootout at the next meet - USPS vs. U-Haul vs. FedX!

johnjen, GearMe, Rensek and 1 other person like this.
  5. UsoppNoKami
    Seeing the tubes powered down when not needed, and enjoying the music popping out from a darker background whilst tubes are active due to lower noise floor... I'm very happy with the upgrade from Freya 1 to Freya+ :)

IMG_20190617_230533.jpg

6. johnjen
    Ouuuhhha a battle of the boxes,
    and we could rate the SQ of the differences between single wall, double wall, and triple wall cardboard.
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

US Blues, gefski and ScubaMan2017 like this.
  7. Ableza
    Cardboard is great for mocking up prototypes as long as you realize you don't have a good ground plane, you don't have good heat sinks, you don't have any RF shielding and your structural integrity and strain reliefs are questionable.

8. johnjen
    Yeah, well, there is that, but that is what ducktape and aluminimum foil is for!
    hahahahahahahahahahahah

JJ

9. johnjen
    We certainly thought so.

I mean it took us all of 2-3hrs to get it up and running, and except for the continual fussing with the battery packs, all we wanted to do was listen to this or that, or this other over there.

It was one of 2 'highlights' of our explorations into 'pushing the envelope'

JJ

10. johnjen
    Actually the B+ was ≈130vdc so the danger of a major catastrophe was much less,
    as long as nothing untoward touched that sheet of aluminimum foil we added as the 'ground plane'.
    hahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

US Blues, jimmers and Ableza like this.
  11. wink
    I built a negative ion genetator into a cardbpard box. it worked wonderfully well on top of a cupboard for years ......:ksc75smile:

12. audio philestine
    In my early days before electrical engineering school, I always thought "bread-boarding" was an odd term for prototyping.

Until I tried making my own bread, and realized that the board I was using to knead the dough on bore a strange resemblance to the pieces of wood I've seen other people assemble electronic circuits and radios on. The a giant light bulb illuminated over my head as I exclaimed "Ahh! Now I get it!"

ScubaMan2017, RCBinTN and Ableza like this.
  13. jimmers
    And, of course, you previously thought they were blocks of plastic with 830 holes in them*, and 'what a strange name' :thinking:

*number of holes may vary due to manufacturer and board size.

basic breadboard kit
    [​IMG]

or a fancy one with screwed-down solder tags
    [​IMG]

I must check up the relative permittivity of pine

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  14. GearMe
    Or...pushing the box in this case!

15. 33na3rd
    No reports from the preamp shootout at the Schiitr?

On the home front, I'm really enjoying Freya S.
    I'll write more about that when I get more hours on, but I can say that Freya S sounded amazingly sweet right out of the box without warm up or burn in. Burning in just seems to add a bit more refinement.