Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #44,911 of 150,874
It will fade away when a generation changes. Teenagers don't know how to use rotary phones these days. I doubt people born these days will have music on physical media when they become teenagers. Even now do you know any 16-year olds who have CD's or LP's? It's all in files locally or in the cloud.

I think you're wrong (with all my respect). Maybe you and your friends don't appreciate the physical media, and it's nothing wrong with that, but we sometimes do generalizations based on what we like / dislike without real facts.

You can think I'm doing that right now, but the data of Vinyl sales from the RIAA in US and around the world shows I'm not. And also an important grow on Vinyl sales comes from millennials, young people that wants to "touch" the music experience.

CDs are fading and dying, maybe the size and the analog / mechanical aspect from Vinyl are more "cool" to them.

I'm saying everybody will listen to Vinyl in 50 Years? No, i don't think analog will be the popular format again. I'm saying Vinyl it's in the 80s amount of sales right now (and that's a fact) and will have a good piece in the cake. Nothing more, nothing less.

And talking about schiit ... think about it, they have to be really dumb to build a turntable if it's not in that way :)

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 2:42 AM Post #44,912 of 150,874
In other depressing news, the [REDACTED] has been a glorious success keeping the cats amused, and the reliability trials are still ongoing.
Thus far it has been subjected to being immersed in boiling bitumen, coated in feathers from a female leghorn, used as a shot put at the local sports arena, and still functions perfectly.
After much soul searching, both Mike and I feel that releasing this product would be too traumatic to the public at large.
For instance, there is nothing more soul destroying than hurling your beloved [REDACTED] at you recalcitrant spouse or sibling and finding that after the event, it still funtions as intended.
Where is the remorse...? Where is the feeling of consolation as you purchase a new replacement with the fervent vows to never behave in that way again.

In other more heartening news, our [SON OF REDACTED] prototype blew up spectacularly and spewed forth sheets of flames and incendiary pieces of componentry in all all direcrions.
DARPA, arrived on the scens after detecting the seismic distrubance and confiscated the remains and all the relevant documentation pertaining thereto.
As they were departing they were heard to mutter something along the lines of it being the replacement to neuclear and atomic based weoponry.
Ah come-on,
I figured they were muttering about the yield to mass ratio being so far beyond ANY thing they have tested to date.
This made making the determination to proclaim it the subject of a brand new black budget secret project, all that much easier…
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Mar 20, 2019 at 6:55 AM Post #44,913 of 150,874
I think you're wrong (with all my respect). Maybe you and your friends don't appreciate the physical media, and it's nothing wrong with that, but we sometimes do generalizations based on what we like / dislike without real facts.

You can think I'm doing that right now, but the data of Vinyl sales from the RIAA in US and around the world shows I'm not. And also an important grow on Vinyl sales comes from millennials, young people that wants to "touch" the music experience.

CDs are fading and dying, maybe the size and the analog / mechanical aspect from Vinyl are more "cool" to them.

I'm saying everybody will listen to Vinyl in 50 Years? No, i don't think analog will be the popular format again. I'm saying Vinyl it's in the 80s amount of sales right now (and that's a fact) and will have a good piece in the cake. Nothing more, nothing less.

And talking about schiit ... think about it, they have to be really dumb to build a turntable if it's not in that way :)

Glad to see people enjoying their music in whatever format best suits them...

On the other side of the coin, I had an extensive album collection, a couple turntables with really nice arms and cartridges, and some really nice equipment to listen to it on; couldn't be happier that everything went digital!

The convenience factor alone (cleaning, anti-static, changing sides after 20 mins, finding the next album, etc.) was worth the switch to me. It bugged me so much that I owned two very nice tape machines (Reel to Reel and Cassette) to try to minimize the hassle and increase my listening enjoyment at home (RtoR) and on the go (cassette).

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #44,915 of 150,874
And today's winner of our spot the troll contest is........

why if we talk about analog reproduction we're "trolling"?
every time i talk about analog some people try to "defend" digital music or in some way try to dismiss the topic ... and i see every imaginable off-topic (animals, food, whatever) rolling well.

i don't talk against digital, i use digital too, too much time than analog. But ... i only try to show some facts and (i think) good experiencies and realities about analog. I only try to do something good to the comunity, or at least, to those that wants to know more about analog reproduction.

If you aren't on that kind of people, that's ok, simply ignore me ... but please, i beg your respect as i respect anyone here.
Maybe bad behaviour it's more "trolling" to me.

Mar 20, 2019 at 7:37 AM Post #44,916 of 150,874
FYI …

The Surprising Comeback of Vinyl Records
by Felix Richter,
Jan 15, 2019

Continuing one of the more surprising comebacks of the digital age, vinyl album sales in the United States have grown for the 13th consecutive year. In 2018, 16.8 million LPs were sold in the United States, up 14.6 percent compared to 2017 when accounting for the fact that Nielsen’s 2018 tracking period ran 53 weeks from Dec. 29, 2017 through Jan. 3, 2019.

So how big is vinyl's comeback really? Should we all dust off our old record players to prepare for the future of music? According to Nielsen’s 2018 music report, LPs accounted for 12 percent of album sales in the United States, which is quite substantial. Factoring in streaming and downloads of single tracks, however, that number drops to 2.7 percent of album equivalent music consumption, which puts things in perspective.

Mar 20, 2019 at 8:15 AM Post #44,917 of 150,874
Ah come-on,
I figured they were muttering about the yield to mass ratio being so far beyond ANY thing they have tested to date.
This made making the determination to proclaim it the subject of a brand new black budget secret project, all that much easier…
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

JJ

Only with good fuses and proper cabling. :smiley_cat:

Mar 20, 2019 at 8:25 AM Post #44,918 of 150,874
stubborn.jpeg

Mar 20, 2019 at 9:40 AM Post #44,919 of 150,874
People who like vinyl can continue to use it. People who don't, wont. People like me who have been there done that won't go back are here too. None of it matters. Schiit is producing a turntable for those who wish to use vinyl. The rest of this dead-horse discussion can be deleted.

Mar 20, 2019 at 9:52 AM Post #44,920 of 150,874
People who like vinyl can continue to use it. People who don't, wont. People like me who have been there done that won't go back are here too. None of it matters. Schiit is producing a turntable for those who wish to use vinyl. The rest of this dead-horse discussion can be deleted.
Personally, I’m VERY excited for Schiit to release both of their physical media devices. The Sol and the cd transport. I really hope the CD transport is as much of a game changer as the Sol appears it will be. All that said, I’m definitely enjoying digital now that I’ve dedicated some thought and money to it, to the point it’s made me listen to my vinyl less (at least till Sol hits production run 2/3). I think one of the most satisfying things about modern HiFi is you can build a really respectable rig that sounds great either digitally or in analog, and I’d say Schiit has some influence in making that happen with their pricing and philosophy. It’s a great time to be in HIFi whether you are digital, analog or both!

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #44,921 of 150,874
Personally, I’m VERY excited for Schiit to release both of their physical media devices. The Sol and the cd transport. I really hope the CD transport is as much of a game changer as the Sol appears it will be. All that said, I’m definitely enjoying digital now that I’ve dedicated some thought and money to it, to the point it’s made me listen to my vinyl less (at least till Sol hits production run 2/3). I think one of the most satisfying things about modern HiFi is you can build a really respectable rig that sounds great either digitally or in analog, and I’d say Schiit has some influence in making that happen with their pricing and philosophy. It’s a great time to be in HIFi whether you are digital, analog or both!
Can't really see what they can do differently on a CD transport, unless they want to put some serious effort into some sort of advanced tracking that eliminates skipping on scratched CDs, maybe multiple lasers viewing the information from different angles or something? I can't think of any other area that could use improvement, though I'm also not a CD transport scientist.

I don't think they have to do anything different at all at this point though, so many of you are religious followers that you'd buy anything they sell.

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:22 AM Post #44,922 of 150,874

If we compare relative figures I can say that the sales of wax cylinders doubled because this year they sold 100 compared to 50 last year. LOL. Vinyl almost died and now it's resurrecting. That's why relative figures are so high.
Here is an overview: https://www.forbes.com/sites/matthe...endrick-lamar-queen-album-sales/#15fac911775a

"Vinyl album sales accounted for 13.7% of all physical sales, up from 10% in 2017 and 8% in 2016."
Call me back when it's at least 60%.

Also: "Cassette sales, however, grew 18.9%, selling roughly 120,000 units — a nod to artists releasing collectible versions of albums on the once-defunct medium."

On the other hand: "With a 41.8% bump, audio streaming saw the largest year-over-year growth — up 534.6 billion streams from 376.9 billion in 2017."

Smart companies like Schiit produce diversified products. Note that they will introduce a turntable and a CD transport. And products come and go. Unfortunately, they are thinking of discontinuing Eitr. I thought that would never happen.

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #44,923 of 150,874
Regarding CD Transports:
1. Some people still have a lot of CDs.
2. Some people prefer the sound of CDs as opposed to streaming ripped files of the same CD.
3. Old used ones from the golden era of transports (the 90's) are dying from old age and can't always be repaired.
4. Current production transports are either insanely expensive, or really cheaply made. Sometimes both.
5. There is a market for a reasonably priced transport that is of high quality.

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #44,924 of 150,874
Can't really see what they can do differently on a CD transport, unless they want to put some serious effort into some sort of advanced tracking that eliminates skipping on scratched CDs, maybe multiple lasers viewing the information from different angles or something? I can't think of any other area that could use improvement, though I'm also not a CD transport scientist.

I don't think they have to do anything different at all at this point though, so many of you are religious followers that you'd buy anything they sell.
Was thinking a high quality memory buffered transport with top loading and a selection of digital outputs, strong consideration for clocks, etc for an affordable price. Pretty much what they do in all other product categories. Those features don’t come from other manufacturers under $2-3k, and I’m betting Schiit can do it as well for MUCH cheaper. That’s where my excitement lies. As for Schiit fanboys, count me as one. I never expected this level of fidelity for such little financial outlay (I’m strictly in the two channel realm).

Mar 20, 2019 at 10:38 AM Post #44,925 of 150,874
--snip--

Neither religion or politics has anything to do with it.
I purchase Schiit because as the Affordable Audiophile, they are the only manufactuer whose mission statement includes the word, "cheap".
Why have no other companies tried to imitate them? Why are other firms not targeting the buyers of good, relatively inexpensive, yet very high quality audio gear?

I would say that the per capita population of very wealthy, trust fund babies, buying systems of over $100,000 is a fraction of the folks who want to hear the Music they already own sound better. I would say, like my old uncle Abe used to say--"It is better to make10 cents on a $1, than to have a warehouse of $100 items that no one can afford." or something to that effect.

Businesses are a success when they develop products which people want, and that people can afford.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back