Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 20, 2019 at 12:34 PM Post #44,941 of 149,185
I'm not. But it is a format that is damaged by physical wear each time it is used, so you should use it as rarely as you can.
In keeping with the tradition...
cat-on-turntable.gif

From Seven Bad Habits That Will Destroy Your Vinyl Records
(hmmm that was supposed to be an animated gif but it's not showing on my screen. You'll just have to open the link :frowning2: )

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 1:33 PM Post #44,943 of 149,185
I think you're wrong (with all my respect). Maybe you and your friends don't appreciate the physical media, and it's nothing wrong with that, but we sometimes do generalizations based on what we like / dislike without real facts.

You can think I'm doing that right now, but the data of Vinyl sales from the RIAA in US and around the world shows I'm not. And also an important grow on Vinyl sales comes from millennials, young people that wants to "touch" the music experience.

CDs are fading and dying, maybe the size and the analog / mechanical aspect from Vinyl are more "cool" to them.

I'm saying everybody will listen to Vinyl in 50 Years? No, i don't think analog will be the popular format again. I'm saying Vinyl it's in the 80s amount of sales right now (and that's a fact) and will have a good piece in the cake. Nothing more, nothing less.

And talking about schiit ... think about it, they have to be really dumb to build a turntable if it's not in that way :)
Interesting what people listen to, I think. I’m over 50 and I have some Vinyl, a metric boatload of CDs, and a Squeezebox Server setup with all of the CDs available in flac ir alac. I do keep the physical media, as I feel that it would bewrong to rip and then resell. But my daughter, a number (call it a dozen that I know of) her friends, ranging from 15 to 21, use spotify and spin vinyl both. So who knows what people will be doing in the future, or even what new formats will come along. Some will do X, others Y, and a few will do Z (and defend doing so with extreme prejudice) . The big wheel turns, and things come, go, and sometimes return again. My 21-year-old is more passionate about vinyl than I am. It’s not a format war, it’s choice. People choose what they listen to and how they listen to it. I don’t need or want Sol, but I’ll freely admit to coveting Mike’s aforementioned transport.

Mar 20, 2019 at 1:50 PM Post #44,944 of 149,185
Interesting what people listen to, I think. I’m over 50 and I have some Vinyl, a metric boatload of CDs, and a Squeezebox Server setup with all of the CDs available in flac ir alac. I do keep the physical media, as I feel that it would bewrong to rip and then resell. But my daughter, a number (call it a dozen that I know of) her friends, ranging from 15 to 21, use spotify and spin vinyl both. So who knows what people will be doing in the future, or even what new formats will come along. Some will do X, others Y, and a few will do Z (and defend doing so with extreme prejudice) . The big wheel turns, and things come, go, and sometimes return again. My 21-year-old is more passionate about vinyl than I am. It’s not a format war, it’s choice. People choose what they listen to and how they listen to it. I don’t need or want Sol, but I’ll freely admit to coveting Mike’s aforementioned transport.

That's all right .... and that's what i promote ... but some people think that i "promote" or "insist" on vinyl as to rule the world. I try to add some information or data about vinyl for those who doesn't know about it, because i see that on some opinions.

Simply to add information.

So, i will add information from RIAA (i mean, only US) about vinyl sales and then think that's marginal or comparable to wax cylinders, cassettes or what you want. The numbers are $millions and the sources: eBay, Discogs, Zia Records for used and RIAA for new records ... we're not considering sites like Amazon or flea markets (that's added to the final estimated in green).

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fbillrosenblatt%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F10%2FTotal-vinyl-revenue.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2019 at 3:04 PM Post #44,945 of 149,185
That's all right .... and that's what i promote ... but some people think that i "promote" or "insist" on vinyl as to rule the world. I try to add some information or data about vinyl for those who doesn't know about it, because i see that on some opinions.

Simply to add information.

So, i will add information from RIAA (i mean, only US) about vinyl sales and then think that's marginal or comparable to wax cylinders, cassettes or what you want. The numbers are $millions and the sources: eBay, Discogs, Zia Records for used and RIAA for new records ... we're not considering sites like Amazon or flea markets (that's added to the final estimated in green).

I don't think: "vinyl vs digital, USB vs SPDIF, hi-gain vs lo-gain, tubes vs solid-state, acoustic vs electric guitars", have any place on an Audio forum which is obviously about cats. My two cents worth, with a grain of salt, on the side.

Mar 20, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #44,946 of 149,185
Mar 20, 2019 at 3:55 PM Post #44,947 of 149,185
Can't really see what they can do differently on a CD transport, unless they want to put some serious effort into some sort of advanced tracking that eliminates skipping on scratched CDs, maybe multiple lasers viewing the information from different angles or something? I can't think of any other area that could use improvement, though I'm also not a CD transport scientist.
I don't think they have to do anything different at all at this point though, so many of you are religious followers that you'd buy anything they sell.
When you listen to the interview Jason and Mike recently gave you can hear what can be the game changer on a transport.
With the CD transport (and any other digital source for that matter), Mike can make not only the receiving end of the Unison USB™, but can also place a USB server/hub/master (whatever you call it) on the sending end to bring Unison USB™ to full life!
To me that would be a game changer.

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:33 PM Post #44,948 of 149,185
When you listen to the interview Jason and Mike recently gave you can hear what can be the game changer on a transport.
With the CD transport (and any other digital source for that matter), Mike can make not only the receiving end of the Unison USB™, but can also place a USB server/hub/master (whatever you call it) on the sending end to bring Unison USB™ to full life!
To me that would be a game changer.
I’m really excited to see what they can do here. Jason has been quiet lately. Probably really busy putting final touches on Aegir

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #44,949 of 149,185
I’m really excited to see what they can do here. Jason has been quiet lately. Probably really busy putting final touches on Aegir
I've been watching to see the Aegir pop up on the Schiit product page (Amps) and "About" section since they are shipping this week:
https://www.schiit.com/products

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:37 PM Post #44,950 of 149,185

He's trying to get Aegir out the door. What do you think he's working on :)

Mar 20, 2019 at 5:35 PM Post #44,954 of 149,185
Can't really see what they can do differently on a CD transport, unless they want to put some serious effort into some sort of advanced tracking that eliminates skipping on scratched CDs, maybe multiple lasers viewing the information from different angles or something? I can't think of any other area that could use improvement, though I'm also not a CD transport scientist.

I don't think they have to do anything different at all at this point though, so many of you are religious followers that you'd buy anything they sell.

Have you read this?

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/wha...n-robert-hunter.784471/page-649#post-14700297

Mar 20, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #44,955 of 149,185
In other depressing news, the [REDACTED] has been a glorious success keeping the cats amused, and the reliability trials are still ongoing.
Thus far it has been subjected to being immersed in boiling bitumen, coated in feathers from a female leghorn, used as a shot put at the local sports arena, and still functions perfectly.
After much soul searching, both Mike and I feel that releasing this product would be too traumatic to the public at large.
For instance, there is nothing more soul destroying than hurling your beloved [REDACTED] at you recalcitrant spouse or sibling and finding that after the event, it still funtions as intended.
Where is the remorse...? Where is the feeling of consolation as you purchase a new replacement with the fervent vows to never behave in that way again.

In other more heartening news, our [SON OF REDACTED] prototype blew up spectacularly and spewed forth sheets of flames and incendiary pieces of componentry in all all direcrions.
DARPA, arrived on the scens after detecting the seismic distrubance and confiscated the remains and all the relevant documentation pertaining thereto.
As they were departing they were heard to mutter something along the lines of it being the replacement to neuclear and atomic based weoponry.
I don't know what yer smokin'....
More please!!!!! :ksc75smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back