Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM Post #4,426 of 151,304
  Pretty much all of Scandinavia is like that. One of the reasons is that many television shows, movies etc. are not dubbed, so subtitles is all you get. In many other european countries dubbing is the rule, and sometimes I think that's a mistake...

I for one can't imagine the reason for dubbing anything else than children's movies etc. It's just horrible. 

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:31 PM Post #4,427 of 151,304

I for one can't imagine the reason for dubbing anything else than children's movies etc. It's just horrible. 

It's totally fine if that's what you grow up with.  Sort of like cheap headphones....

Dec 18, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #4,428 of 151,304
  It's totally fine if that's what you grow up with.  Sort of like cheap headphones....

It's totally fine until you realise how much better the original voices are, because, well, it's the actual voice of the actor and everything is lip-sync....

There's only one exception:

When I was a kid, everything I watched was dubbed. Even in the Schwarzenegger movies, his voice never bothered me - it seemed totally ok. Years later, I watched Terminator 1 again, this time the original version. And when that guy opened his mouth and I heard his thick styrian accent, I almost fell off my chair. I mean, people always talk about how he got famous despite that exotic name. That's not what makes me wonder. How on earth did he become famous with that accent?! Even today, watching Terminator or Conan is like comedy for me.
Whenever I need to laugh, I watch this ---> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDxn0Xfqkgw and the world is a happy place. It's showtime!

Anyway, enough OT. Back to Schiit. I am really looking forward to Yggdrasil, how about you guys? What are your hopes and dreams for new Schiit products/upgrades? Jason sometimes makes me mad with his "I have something great on my desk right now, but I won't tell you what it is" remarks. He surely knows a thing or two about marketing.
wink.gif

Dec 18, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #4,429 of 151,304
Not exactly new to the forum but first Time Poster Here. I will apologize now for the lengthy first post I have a lot that's been brewing since i have been reading head fi. I am a Long time audio enthusiast without the $$ to support it. I am enjoying the story of schiit and am impressed that you get the good the bad an the ugly of how Schiit came to be and the struggles and accomplishments keep you on the edge of your seat. I am Sad the Final Chapter nears.

I have a Schiit Modi and Wyrd now which has finally allowed my to accept digital formats other than CD's. I have a Fulla on Order and a Modi 2 Uber as well.

I use schiit products slightly different than most people i have seen. I stack my schiit for use with an NAD Preamp going to Mackie Powered Studio Monitors In my living room (I know Blasphemy on the head fi site not using cans and all, no worries I have a few I use and the Fulla is going to get used heavily). The Modi 2 Uber Solves One of my issues, my blu ray player and cable box can now take advantage of My Schiit products as well as my computer, so I am very anxiously awaiting its arrival. Yes used for Home audio/Entertainment and loving it. however 2 only channel, no surround here.The SQ of music is priority, hearing the stupid helicopter go by is not worth the sacrifice of having heavily processed signals Imho, I just like to have to option to get the better SQ from my setup instead of the crappy TV speakers. So these products work incredible well

Being that Schiit is starting to build products that play in both Headphone and Traditional Home audio arenas I am considering replacing my current pre amp with a Valhalla 2 and while the Modi 2 Uber has my digital input problems solved. but not my analog. I really like the idea of the sys but need more analog inputs. Modi 2, Phono Pre amp, Tuner etc. Yes I know I am old school.

A 4 or 6 channel SYS would be AWESOME. In the form factor of a bifrost.... drool. The draw of the sys is it does not change the signal it just allows a clean path of switching with no magic or amplification which i can then feed its outputs directly into the preamp of my choice, in this case a Valhalla 2 would be the choice. I cannot do this with any typical preamp  I would have to have two preamps or possibly a bunch of daisy chained sys's neither of which i want to do so my purchase of Valahalla2 is on hold until I can find a solution.
frown.gif

in the meantime I will continue to dream of a Valahalla 2, Bifrost Uber, and imaginary SYS 4/6 channel stack of schiit.

Keep up the good work Jason and Team, when I read your stories I am reminded of some of the guys I used to work in a previous life.Its good to know there are humans behind these products. Your quality and price point is allowing me to finally get the home audio sound I could only dream off before I stumbled on to headfi.

Dec 18, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #4,431 of 151,304

I got the call from Drive Savers today and the adjusted quote is now between $2,300 and $2,600. Up from $900, down from $2,900. Some cold comfort there.

No toys for me for a while: in fact, bill payment is going to require some juggling.

In the face of those numbers, I don't feel too bad about ordering a Modi 2 Uber as retail therapy. No Ragnarok or Yggdrasil for me any time soon, though!

Sentiments appreciated.

Why dont you send it to cheaprecovery in Crete?  Even with postage and all it will be cheaper than that. they are very nice guys, ask them for a quote.

Unfortunately, once a drive has been cracked open in a clean room, that's it: can't bounce it somewhere else :frowning2:

But I'll add them to my bookmarks, thanks.

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #4,432 of 151,304

Dubbed anime. *SHUDDERS*

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #4,433 of 151,304
Originally Posted by bigro:
A 4 or 6 channel SYS would be AWESOME. In the form factor of a bifrost.... drool. The draw of the sys is it does not change the signal it just allows a clean path of switching with no magic or amplification which i can then feed its outputs directly into the preamp of my choice, in this case a Valhalla 2 would be the choice. I cannot do this with any typical preamp  I would have to have two preamps or possibly a bunch of daisy chained sys's neither of which i want to do so my purchase of Valahalla2 is on hold until I can find a solution. :frowning2:

Two thoughts for you:

The "Tape Out (Record or REC)" on vintage gear (pre amps, intergrated amps etc.) are generally passive pass through. Example - computer to dac to intergrated amp used for headphones - tape out (REC) to aux in on another pre/amp system for speakers. Speaker system gets unaltered signal from first amp/pre without turning first amp/pre on, just passes signal to the speaker system.

The Pioneer U24 Program Selector is the granddaddy of passive switching, no volume control, just switching.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-U-24.html

Be creatative with the tape outs and power amp outs and you get many configurations to play with.

Dec 19, 2014 at 10:26 AM Post #4,434 of 151,304
Anyway, enough OT. Back to Schiit. I am really looking forward to Yggdrasil, how about you guys? What are your hopes and dreams for new Schiit products/upgrades? Jason sometimes makes me mad with his "I have something great on my desk right now, but I won't tell you what it is" remarks. He surely knows a thing or two about marketing. :wink:

As much as I love my Modi, I had been considering a Bifrost USB for a while, if only for greater versatility. Modi 2 Uber solves this. I am hoping for more trickle-down from Schiit. Magni 2 (Uber) is a good example of this as well. I don't need a gain switch or preamp output, but it is great to see these features coming to lower cost products.

What I really hope for is for some Schiit for powering external speakers, far below the Ragnarok cost. I don't own a house now, far from it, but I hope to someday and I do prefer speakers to wearing cans. So Schiit has some time to create the product I want. Of course, perhaps I will then have a wife and children and will be back here reading about headphones.

Dec 19, 2014 at 1:17 PM Post #4,435 of 151,304
A 4 or 6 channel SYS would be AWESOME. In the form factor of a bifrost.... drool. The draw of the sys is it does not change the signal it just allows a clean path of switching with no magic or amplification which i can then feed its outputs directly into the preamp of my choice, in this case a Valhalla 2 would be the choice. I cannot do this with any typical preamp  I would have to have two preamps or possibly a bunch of daisy chained sys's neither of which i want to do so my purchase of Valahalla2 is on hold until I can find a solution. :frowning2:

Two thoughts for you:

The "Tape Out (Record or REC)" on vintage gear (pre amps, intergrated amps etc.) are generally passive pass through. Example - computer to dac to intergrated amp used for headphones - tape out (REC) to aux in on another pre/amp system for speakers. Speaker system gets unaltered signal from first amp/pre without turning first amp/pre on, just passes signal to the speaker system.

The Pioneer U24 Program Selector is the granddaddy of passive switching, no volume control, just switching.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-U-24.html

Be creatative with the tape outs and power amp outs and you get many configurations to play with.

Better yet, in the Bifrost/Asgard form factor, a balanced Sys. Of course, that might be a bit pricey, but it would be very nice. And with a much cleaner aesthetic than other balanced passives...

Dec 19, 2014 at 2:44 PM Post #4,437 of 151,304
  A 4 or 6 channel SYS would be AWESOME. In the form factor of a bifrost.... drool. The draw of the sys is it does not change the signal it just allows a clean path of switching with no magic or amplification which i can then feed its outputs directly into the preamp of my choice, in this case a Valhalla 2 would be the choice. I cannot do this with any typical preamp  I would have to have two preamps or possibly a bunch of daisy chained sys's neither of which i want to do so my purchase of Valahalla2 is on hold until I can find a solution.
frown.gif

I have an Adcom SLS-505. Does exactly what you need, and more. 7 inputs, two tape loops, totally passive. There's also a volume control on it, so you can plug it straight into a power amp (that's what I do, into a Meitner STR55 for my desktop speaker rig) or you can take outputs from the tape loop and leave the volume control out of the circuit and use it just as a switching center. It's essentially a SYS with 7 ins and volume. Except not in a Bifrost case...

Long out of production, I've seen them sell used online for around $150.

Cheers!

EDIT: Because it's passive, it won't drive headphones. I run the tape loop out to a headphone amp, and use the volume control to control the power amp/speakers.

Dec 19, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #4,438 of 151,304

I have an Adcom SLS-505. Does exactly what you need, and more. 7 inputs, two tape loops, totally passive. There's also a volume control on it, so you can plug it straight into a power amp (that's what I do, into a Meitner STR55) or you can take outputs from the tape loop and leave the volume control out of the circuit and use it just as a switching center. It's essentially a SYS with 7 ins and volume. Except not in a Bifrost case...

Long out of production, I've seen them sell used online for around $150.

Cheers!

Great switch.
But back to bigro, if I am following his issue, I think he has all he needs.  All sources can go into his NAD, including Modi (2) line out, then the NAD pre out feeds the Mackie speakers giving volume control to them and the Tape out (REC) feeds his headphone amp and he adjust headphone volume there.  Not sure if the REC out and source selection on the NAD will need Power on or not, most pre amps will feed the REC whatever source is selected without powering on the pre amp.

The end results is that all his sources are available to the Mackies and a headphone amp.

EDIT Add:
If he wants to use the Schiit as the pre amp ( not the NAD ) then all sources into NAD ( switch only ) and REC out to Schitt, again all sources available.

Dec 19, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #4,439 of 151,304
hi jason and other schiit employees...

do you guys read the posts here regularly?

i have one thing to ask about your international dealers... i read on schiit website that Singapore, Thailand, Indonesia, and Malaysia share the same dealer. SLT Tech

i don't live in singapore. Buying from singapore, or buy from schiit directly doesn't make a difference to me, because the shipping costs from Singapore to Thailand and US to Thailand from schiit website are not that different. The time i have to wait for it aren't that different either.

my question is, am i forced to only be able to buy from singapore SLT Tech even if i dont live in singapore?
or is it more like an otpion?

Getting schiit to thailand means paying for shipping and taxes either way, i'd much rather buy it directly from you than buy it from Singapore dealer. can i do that?

is buying from Singapore SLT Tech compulsory or is it more like an option?

also... have you consider separating Singapore-Malaysia, and Thailand, and Indonesia? SG-Malaysia is reachable by bus because it used to be one country, and im aware that there are a couple brands that have sg-malaysia distributors.

But singapore, indonesia, and thailand is 3 completely separate countries that aren't (normally) reachable by bus. have to go by plane because we're separated by oceans...

if i cant buy from you directly just because there's SLT Tech in singapore, it's pretty sad for me...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back