Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 5, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #42,076 of 151,275
Right ... the above comment is what I was referring to in my post. Do you have the R2R-11?
ps. I hope the sofa is kind to your wallet :)

Yes, Kingwa shipped me the R2R-11 to do a review. It is the "main" DAC on my Reference System now, with the ModiMB dedicated to the Vali 2 HP system, fed by Toslink. The new Belden SPDIF cable connects the R2R-11. I am using the HiFiBerry SPDIF transport, which feed them both the same signal. I just power-doen the Vali 2 when listening to speakers, and switch off the R2R-11 when using HPs.

hmm nope, I know at least a few other people I have talked to that like MOdi 3 more than Multibit.

Audio is subjective much?

If I get $89 before the b-stock Modi 3 sell-out, I will upgrade to it back in the bedroom, and retire the Wyrd and Modi 2 (or re-gift to a less fortunate friend...) Then I can use Coax SPDIF instead of RasPi USB as the feed.

For what it's worth I prefer the modi multibit over the modi 3. Modi 3 is very nice, but modi multbit is still better, subjectively. I notice a bigger difference between the two when using 2 channel gear, less so when using headphones.

If you really want to get into the nitty gritty though, I'd be hard pressed to decide between a modi 3/loki combo and a modi multibit, without Loki. Same price if buying new.

Modi multibit now resides at home with my saga/Vidar combo, modi 3 at work. Soon to be modi 3 in my fathers system., And the one I'm putting together for my den. It's very good, without a doubt.

I think the difference in filters is the key.

I was envisioning buying another RasPi and making it an endpoint for the HP stack, but the dual SPDIF of the HiFiBerry kept me from that expense. I like the idea of a Modi 3, but I just paid-off the Sprout100, I am waiting on the new Fiscal year for further aquisitions:ksc75smile::ksc75smile::ksc75smile:

And thanks for letting me know about replying to multi-quote. I am sorry that I have been answering two or three posts with separate replies. I didn't understand that this was a problem...the fellow that sent me a private message, Thanks.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #42,077 of 151,275
Apropos of no comment in this thread, but a general vent comment about the (mostly) males in the audio hobby. Not everyone is an expert. Indeed most of us are users, fans, consumers. Just because I know what the buttons do on the Whammo PS-5000 does not make me an expert on same.

Listen guys, cool your jets. You don’t know half of what you wish you knew and neither do I.

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #42,080 of 151,275
For those of you who are considering Qobuz when it becomes fully available sometime next year, I found out that with the “Sublime” pricing tier that you can get substantial discounts on Hi-res downloads. Cheaper, in fact, than the non Hi-res downloads (in some cases). I recently purchased Ry Cooder’s “Prodigal Son” as an 88/24 FLAC for, after the £/$ conversion, $12.16. That’s a bit cheaper than the CD from Amazon. A great album, BTW.

qb.png

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #42,081 of 151,275
I don't envy Dave and Ivana's jobs...unless it's one of those days when your great new analog idea has (seemingly) decided to ignore the laws of physics.

Yes, today is one of those days.

I am a great motivational speaker.I would gladly fly out to you and put all people back in a straight motivated line.

Cook some pasta together. 10 minutes of screaming therapy and all will be well in a day.

Constanza does some callanetics with the group.

Maybe I mis-understood Jason, but I took "ignoring the laws of physics" to mean something good. You know, like getting the new Stones to sound like the old Stones by playing before the beat, and tuning orchestras to c=256, and re-tuning auto-tune, and expanding compression wars back to normal, and de-crapifying pop music to the point where Baldr sings it praises.

I've been known to be wrong before, so maybe I missed the point completely. Either way, a PCT visit might be good, whether a motivational speech, or to beta-test a laws-of-physics-ignoring gadget and report back to us.

EDIT:
OK, it looks like I was wrong:
Better days. The laws of physics have been upheld. Things just behave oddly when balanced on a knife-edge. The new prototype is behaving as expected now.

I guess I have to go back to dreaming again...

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #42,082 of 151,275
For those of you who are considering Qobuz when it becomes fully available sometime next year, I found out that with the “Sublime” pricing tier that you can get substantial discounts on Hi-res downloads. Cheaper, in fact, than the non Hi-res downloads (in some cases). I recently purchased Ry Cooder’s “Prodigal Son” as an 88/24 FLAC for, after the £/$ conversion, $12.16. That’s a bit cheaper than the CD from Amazon. A great album, BTW.
Qobuz is indeed very, very good.
The als do NOT re-master the music for their market.
We can all hope those streaming services stay and don't go bust.
I have a hard head however.

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #42,083 of 151,275
Hey all,

Better days. The laws of physics have been upheld. Things just behave oddly when balanced on a knife-edge. The new prototype is behaving as expected now.

However, I also now have a choice between matching parts and a differential servo with a very, very long time constant. Both have pluses and minuses, so I need to hear back from our parts partners about the feasibility and cost of matching and binning SOT-23 surface-mount parts. If the cost isn't high, I like the simpler solution. If it's not feasible due to cost or logistics, then we do the differential servo. We'll see. This is all for stuff that's pretty far out in the future, so I don't need to stress about it too much. Best to get some data (including listening tests) before making any decisions.

Beyond that, there's still a lot of mechanical work to do, so I'm going to get back to that. I should have more to report later this week, and hopefully a couple of chapters (one rant and one wrap-up) before the end of the year.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 5, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #42,084 of 151,275
you are the 0.1% of an already niche hobby... so your comeback is null and invalid. but cheers and enjoy your high end

:weary:

Why you hang out here anyway? Room for all in this tent.

Many folks here have a Yggy, Gumby, Mimby. You kinda picking a fight.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 1:40 PM Post #42,085 of 151,275
Qobuz is indeed very, very good.
The als do NOT re-master the music for their market.
We can all hope those streaming services stay and don't go bust.

I agree. Qobuz is my current favorite streaming service and I intend to renew when my free trial expires. I'm worried about the viability of all of the services other than Apple Music which doesn't necessarily need to be profitable to survive. Time will tell. I'll enjoy Qobuz as long as I can.

Out of curiosity, Pietro, who are you referring to by your comment "The als do NOT re-master the music for their market"?

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #42,086 of 151,275
Out of curiosity, Pietro, who are you referring to by your comment "The als do NOT re-master the music for their market"?
Most, I think all, streaming services request a specific kind of remaster and even remaster it themselves one more time.
After that comes the watermarking. You can hear huge differences between streaming providers not to forget with your own source.
Qobuz is the only one who does none of that.

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:35 PM Post #42,088 of 151,275
Instead of stating A is better than B you could state that YOU don`t hear the difference or in YOUR system there seems to be no difference.
You would have:
A. A valid point
B. Some new friends

My neighbour has a Modi and I pretend there is no difference with the pricier models to spare his feelings a little.
(Pietro on the other hand likes to crush my confidence with his Yggy every time I visit:) )

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:37 PM Post #42,089 of 151,275
Modi 3 sounds noticeably better to me than modi multibit and modi 2 uber, I'd recommend you sell it and get a Modi 3 at some point. Just my two cents. Schiit really shot themselves in the foot on this one, there is legitimately no reason to buy any higher end dac they offer imo. Audio is subjective though, so I am aware some thinkg multibit still sounds better, but I also know I am not alone in how much I love the Modi 3, side by side with Grace Design S, it also beats Grace Design S dac to my ears, (all testing done with same amps)

Lol.

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music." -- Nietzsche

:wink:

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #42,090 of 151,275
I also now have a choice between matching parts and a differential servo with a very, very long time constant.
I actually understood that before the explanation. I feel so proud!

I guess there is some good to my hanging around here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back