Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 4, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #42,046 of 151,525
Appropros to the WWI discussion and the Armistice anniversary, if anyone would like to learn a ton about the conflict, I really recommend Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast. He did a roughly 18 hour (!) series on The Great War that is really engrossing and educational. I'm up to only episode five of six (no spoilers, please!), but certainly can give it my highest recommendation.

I enjoy Dan Carlin as well.

Also, guys we are pretty off-topic last few pages... probably should stop before mods come and clean up the thread. Cheers.

on-topic: still loving my Modi 3 and Magni 3 combo, sounds freaking amazing and has brought new life to my cans (HE-4XX, HD58X, SHP9500, and Audio Technica ATH-AD700 old pink version with lambskin pads). had to finally replace the pads on an old favorite - my first audiophile headphone I ever bought in 2012, the ad700 open back pink version - blew me away at the time, now its laughable, but the lambskin pads + modi 3 and magni 3 really gave it a second life, it sounds so much better than I remembered.

cheers @Jason Stoddard and keep up the good work! I'm still waiting on something equivalent to a dragonfly red, I can plug directly into usb type c to a phone / laptop / or pc. :D thats probably my next buy, but no one offers it yet, lets face it, type C is mainstream and common now on PC, mac, laptops, and phones. no usb 2.0 or 3.0 dragonfly copy, give me straight up type C direct plugin portable dac/amp for phones, and I will throw my money at you.

Dec 4, 2018 at 7:17 AM Post #42,047 of 151,525
Also, guys we are pretty off-topic last few pages... probably should stop before mods come and clean up the thread. Cheers.

Nah, recent discussions not even close to off topic for this thread :)
It's all been very interesting, with a few dashes of Schiit

Dec 4, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #42,048 of 151,525
I don’t know about your hardware, but on my system I have been able to take the output from my Mac as spdif, toslink and USB in parallel and switch between them on the fly. At the resolving capability of my 2-channel system there was no significant difference between the technologies using my Modi.

I do not fear the USB. My audio nervosa lies elsewhere.

EDIT: PS I doubt Mike would release ANYTHING he personally thinks sounded like asss.

I am listening to USB feeding my Wyrd/Modi2 into the Vali 2/Sennheisers, and No, USB doesn't sound like Ass.
The Wyrd (or EITR, if you desire SPDIF) is essential to properly condition the USB by "Decrapification" with the Wyrd, and Gen5 in the EITR.

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #42,049 of 151,525
It was long planned, my closest friend, Tony (another Brit, became an American, married an American) lost two uncles and we have been planning this for almost 10 years. It turns out that Jody's grandfather fought with the AEF and when she and I met, she wanted in. Tony said "Ok, but no shopping." and thus it was. It turns out that Larry (Jody's grandfather) fought in 1918 with the Australian 2nd Division (Monash's guys) who were attached to the British IV army on the Somme. He fought with that contingent to take back the ground that my great-uncle gave his life defending in 1916. Tony and I found each of our relatives - in my case the grave and in Tony's one grave and one memorial for one uncle.

We attended the Last Post (think Taps for the US contingent) ceremony (they perform that every night) at the Menin Gate in Ypres on the evening of the 10th and then the memorial at 11am on the 11th, again at the Menin Gate. It was very moving.

We then headed to the Meuse Argonne (after which the national lab is named) where the AEF 33rd division formed part of Pershing's army from September 1918. We knew where Larry and the 123rd Machine Gun Battalion were every day of their deployment and I loaded maps online (using our GIGAmacro Viewer) and then marked them up with all locations and actions, so we had a specific set of places that we wanted to see and visit. [As an aside, if anyone had relatives in WW1 all the major action maps for each Diviion are online and you can consult / mark them up if so desired]. We used a military historian and guide who happened to be in France and knows the area well. In M-A many of the sites of battle are untouched even to this day, so we walked ( particularly on the heights of the Meuse) down the paths that the 33rd advanced down, and stood in the foxholes that they captured, checked out the bunkers and the defence and communications trenches.

In another of those small world things that happen, we met via the Facebook page for M-A, a man who talked about his father serving with the 33rd. I questioned that and when we met months later it turned out that it was indeed his father, he - Ed - being 'a very late surprise'. The small world stuff is that his dad and Larry were not only in the same battalion, but actually fought many of the same actions, Larry as a machine gunner in the 123rd and Ed's dad with the 129th Infrantry. We did a lot of reaserach and discussion to ensure that our differing locations for some actions were resolved, and so he wlaked the same ground in October to see where his father fought.

WW1 is huge in Europe but seems poorly commemorated in the US: that's a shame as many of the names we are so familiar with and shaped our contry were there: Harry Truman, MacArthur, Patton, and of course Pershing.

I gues that now that we have completed most of that I can start with my workshop, 3d printer, home automation, R Pis and anything I may be able to blow up.

Cheers

Graham

That post just made my day. Thank you very much, Sir.
Cheers indeed!
RCB

Dec 4, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #42,050 of 151,525
Dec 4, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #42,051 of 151,525
I am listening to USB feeding my Wyrd/Modi2 into the Vali 2/Sennheisers, and No, USB doesn't sound like Ass.
The Wyrd (or EITR, if you desire SPDIF) is essential to properly condition the USB by "Decrapification" with the Wyrd, and Gen5 in the EITR.

Modi 3 sounds noticeably better to me than modi multibit and modi 2 uber, I'd recommend you sell it and get a Modi 3 at some point. Just my two cents. Schiit really shot themselves in the foot on this one, there is legitimately no reason to buy any higher end dac they offer imo. Audio is subjective though, so I am aware some thinkg multibit still sounds better, but I also know I am not alone in how much I love the Modi 3, side by side with Grace Design S, it also beats Grace Design S dac to my ears, (all testing done with same amps)

Dec 4, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #42,052 of 151,525
I don’t know about your hardware, but on my system I have been able to take the output from my Mac as spdif, toslink and USB in parallel and switch between them on the fly. At the resolving capability of my 2-channel system there was no significant difference between the technologies using my Modi.

I do not fear the USB. My audio nervosa lies elsewhere.

EDIT: PS I doubt Mike would release ANYTHING he personally thinks sounded like asss.

It's not the Schiit stuff I'm worried about - it's the USB output from a Pi!!

I've now answered my own Q, there is no way I can find to control the volume on a Pi USB -> Modi setup! Tomorrow the HiFiBerry SPDIF HAT arrives and all should be well.

PS The Pi USB -> Modi -> Vidar -> DI is IMPRESSIVELY loud. I have cancelled my standing order for laxatives......

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #42,053 of 151,525
Dec 4, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #42,054 of 151,525
Appropros to the WWI discussion and the Armistice anniversary, if anyone would like to learn a ton about the conflict, I really recommend Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast. He did a roughly 18 hour (!) series on The Great War that is really engrossing and educational. I'm up to only episode five of six (no spoilers, please!), but certainly can give it my highest recommendation.

Another goodie is Indiana Neidell's The Great War on youtube. Each weekly installment covers WW1 history for that same week during the war. So, a long series, but well worth it for any WW1 history buff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar/featured

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #42,055 of 151,525
Another goodie is Indiana Neidell's The Great War on youtube. Each weekly installment covers WW1 history for that same week during the war. So, a long series, but well worth it for any WW1 history buff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/TheGreatWar/featured

I read a WWI book, massive in size, when I was in the 8th grade. Suffice it to say, I was not exactly a ladies man. :/

Any books on how to be a ladies man? Cause gg my life and being 31 years old now. DEPRESSION INCOMING BOMBS AWAY.... lol... oh boy... spiraling! time to log off now

Dec 4, 2018 at 2:26 PM Post #42,056 of 151,525
I read a WWI book, massive in size, when I was in the 8th grade. Suffice it to say, I was not exactly a ladies man. :/

Any books on how to be a ladies man? Cause gg my life and being 31 years old now. DEPRESSION INCOMING BOMBS AWAY.... lol... oh boy... spiraling! time to log off now

31 is too early to call gg on your life. Go enjoy some good music.

Dec 4, 2018 at 3:14 PM Post #42,057 of 151,525

I have no idea where you live but since you do read, join some book clubs if there are any in your area. I do not join them to meet females (happily married for many years) but the ratio of women to men in four clubs I am in is at least 8 to 1. Being in a college town, most of the ladies are well educated, most have a masters degree or better and immediately you may well have something in common. You could even start a Meetup group and form your own club if you so desired.

Getting back to Schiit Audio. Does anyone recall what the original Valhalla sold for? I realize it did not have a gain switch or pre-amp out but I was just curious.

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #42,058 of 151,525

Why are you still using a Wyrd instead of the superior Eitr?

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:23 PM Post #42,059 of 151,525
Any books on how to be a ladies man?
Just read all of Jane Austen and the Brontes so you have something to talk to the ladies about. Or whatever "lit" your preferred ladies like.

And don't cheat by watching the movies. They leave out like 90% of what's in the books.

Now, HST, my lady reads Heraclitus and Aristotle so what do I know.

P.S. Having to read those may deepen your depression. If that's the case, I apologize in advance.

P.P.S. Don't read the Twilight books. Any lady who likes those is not worth knowing.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 4:25 PM Post #42,060 of 151,525

Users who are viewing this thread

Back