Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 3, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #42,031 of 151,589
Yup, as I posted earlier I trnsposed a coupe of didgits when seraching on eBay and didn't pick that up. I'll be hanging around, I have been "missing" due to an extended trip to Europe for the Armistice anniversaary and a vacation in Italy.

We are now back and getting settled in a fall environment. New for us!

Cheers

Maybe Schiit can send you some Schiit paper for your tears for your dearly departed Freya when they return it back to you. Your likely to get a new/b-stock back I reckon depending on the damage.

Dec 3, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #42,032 of 151,589
Yup, as I posted earlier I trnsposed a coupe of didgits when seraching on eBay and didn't pick that up. I'll be hanging around, I have been "missing" due to an extended trip to Europe for the Armistice anniversaary and a vacation in Italy.

We are now back and getting settled in a fall environment. New for us!

Cheers

Graham, it is a great thing you did to go to that anniversary and I have a feeling you would even stand in the rain to pay tribute.:)

Dec 3, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #42,033 of 151,589
Graham, it is a great thing you did to go to that anniversary and I have a feeling you would even stand in the rain to pay tribute.:)

It was long planned, my closest friend, Tony (another Brit, became an American, married an American) lost two uncles and we have been planning this for almost 10 years. It turns out that Jody's grandfather fought with the AEF and when she and I met, she wanted in. Tony said "Ok, but no shopping." and thus it was. It turns out that Larry (Jody's grandfather) fought in 1918 with the Australian 2nd Division (Monash's guys) who were attached to the British IV army on the Somme. He fought with that contingent to take back the ground that my great-uncle gave his life defending in 1916. Tony and I found each of our relatives - in my case the grave and in Tony's one grave and one memorial for one uncle.

We attended the Last Post (think Taps for the US contingent) ceremony (they perform that every night) at the Menin Gate in Ypres on the evening of the 10th and then the memorial at 11am on the 11th, again at the Menin Gate. It was very moving.

We then headed to the Meuse Argonne (after which the national lab is named) where the AEF 33rd division formed part of Pershing's army from September 1918. We knew where Larry and the 123rd Machine Gun Battalion were every day of their deployment and I loaded maps online (using our GIGAmacro Viewer) and then marked them up with all locations and actions, so we had a specific set of places that we wanted to see and visit. [As an aside, if anyone had relatives in WW1 all the major action maps for each Diviion are online and you can consult / mark them up if so desired]. We used a military historian and guide who happened to be in France and knows the area well. In M-A many of the sites of battle are untouched even to this day, so we walked ( particularly on the heights of the Meuse) down the paths that the 33rd advanced down, and stood in the foxholes that they captured, checked out the bunkers and the defence and communications trenches.

In another of those small world things that happen, we met via the Facebook page for M-A, a man who talked about his father serving with the 33rd. I questioned that and when we met months later it turned out that it was indeed his father, he - Ed - being 'a very late surprise'. The small world stuff is that his dad and Larry were not only in the same battalion, but actually fought many of the same actions, Larry as a machine gunner in the 123rd and Ed's dad with the 129th Infrantry. We did a lot of reaserach and discussion to ensure that our differing locations for some actions were resolved, and so he wlaked the same ground in October to see where his father fought.

WW1 is huge in Europe but seems poorly commemorated in the US: that's a shame as many of the names we are so familiar with and shaped our contry were there: Harry Truman, MacArthur, Patton, and of course Pershing.

I gues that now that we have completed most of that I can start with my workshop, 3d printer, home automation, R Pis and anything I may be able to blow up.

Cheers

Graham

Dec 3, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #42,034 of 151,589
It was long planned, my closest friend, Tony (another Brit, became an American, married an American) lost two uncles and we have been planning this for almost 10 years. It turns out that Jody's grandfather fought with the AEF and when she and I met, she wanted in. Tony said "Ok, but no shopping." and thus it was. It turns out that Larry (Jody's grandfather) fought in 1918 with the Australian 2nd Division (Monash's guys) who were attached to the British IV army on the Somme. He fought with that contingent to take back the ground that my great-uncle gave his life defending in 1916. Tony and I found each of our relatives - in my case the grave and in Tony's one grave and one memorial for one uncle.

We attended the Last Post (think Taps for the US contingent) ceremony (they perform that every night) at the Menin Gate in Ypres on the evening of the 10th and then the memorial at 11am on the 11th, again at the Menin Gate. It was very moving.

We then headed to the Meuse Argonne (after which the national lab is named) where the AEF 33rd division formed part of Pershing's army from September 1918. We knew where Larry and the 123rd Machine Gun Battalion were every day of their deployment and I loaded maps online (using our GIGAmacro Viewer) and then marked them up with all locations and actions, so we had a specific set of places that we wanted to see and visit. [As an aside, if anyone had relatives in WW1 all the major action maps for each Diviion are online and you can consult / mark them up if so desired]. We used a military historian and guide who happened to be in France and knows the area well. In M-A many of the sites of battle are untouched even to this day, so we walked ( particularly on the heights of the Meuse) down the paths that the 33rd advanced down, and stood in the foxholes that they captured, checked out the bunkers and the defence and communications trenches.

In another of those small world things that happen, we met via the Facebook page for M-A, a man who talked about his father serving with the 33rd. I questioned that and when we met months later it turned out that it was indeed his father, he - Ed - being 'a very late surprise'. The small world stuff is that his dad and Larry were not only in the same battalion, but actually fought many of the same actions, Larry as a machine gunner in the 123rd and Ed's dad with the 129th Infrantry. We did a lot of reaserach and discussion to ensure that our differing locations for some actions were resolved, and so he wlaked the same ground in October to see where his father fought.

WW1 is huge in Europe but seems poorly commemorated in the US: that's a shame as many of the names we are so familiar with and shaped our contry were there: Harry Truman, MacArthur, Patton, and of course Pershing.

I gues that now that we have completed most of that I can start with my workshop, 3d printer, home automation, R Pis and anything I may be able to blow up.

Cheers

Graham

Fascinating stuff, I have seen a couple shows on trench and tunnel archaeology and it is amazing what amaments and munitions they still find.

Dec 3, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #42,036 of 151,589
Dec 3, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #42,037 of 151,589
I’m a little concerned that Mr Darko was discussing using the ipower linear power supply with the Modi 3. Jason explained why that would be a waste of money in the Modi 3 FAQ.

http://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

I like his reviews and interviews but this makes me wonder.

Ive got a friend on here bringing me the same iPower power supply for my RPi DAP, but that use is more likely to make a difference vice the Modi 3. And Im still even sceptical until I try it for myself.

Though it's slightly less clear in the video, this is what he said in the review: "What I do have at home is an iFi iPower low-noise switch mode supply (US$49), which when applied to the Modi 3, takes refinement up a single notch. But at half of the Schiit box’s asking, readers are invited to decide for themselves if, in this scenario, the iFi is worth the extra spend. I do not."

Because he ultimately recommended against it and because he didn't make any outlandish claims about improvements in sound quality, it didn't really bother me.

I must respectfully disagree with ripper.

I use a Logitech 2.1 desktop system at work, with my magni 3 as preamp. I cannot turn that 2.1 more then a third of the way up. Any further and it will get awful distortion/clipping when turning magni past 12 o clock.

My advice would be to play around with your gear and use what sounds best to you. All this gear interacts differently with different components. YMMV and all that.

I definitely agree with you here. Those kinds of desktop systems tend not to like having their volume turned all the way up in my experience. If the Magni was left in line, my initial instinct would be to turn the volume there all the way up and control volume using only the Logitech. But then I'd play around with it to see what sounded best.

Well I literally sit an arms length away from everything, so I am just going to plug the speakers directly in the modi 3, then when I want headphones, I unplug the back of dac and plug in the amp. Really not a big deal, should be better purity that way anyway

This is definitely the preferred solution in terms of sound quality. Alternatively, you could get an RCA splitter for your Modi (very cheap) and leave both the Magni and the Logitech speakers hooked up permanently. Then you can just turn the Magni on and the Logitech off when you want to use headphones. That should be more convenient than swapping the cables every time, but will sound just as good.

Also, your post took me back. The older version of the Logitech Z623, the Logitech Z-2300, was the first speaker I ever owned (that I can remember). I was so excited when I got it. It felt like the "top of the line." It's probably still in my garage somewhere.

Bringing it back to the present one more time though, I don't think the Z623 is really resolving in a way that would make having the Magni in line noticeable, so don't let it bother you if you leave it as-is for convenience.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #42,038 of 151,589
Ok, so the Freya is on the way back to Schiit, after a frustrating time with Fedex trying to create a label online. I failed, tech support failed - they couldn't take any credit card at all; how the hell does an organization like that stay in business.

However, I am now musicless and this is not good. My thought is to hook up my Modi 3. Here's the challenge, my streamer has only balanced outputs. So I have plenty of RPis about, but how to feed the Modi? I've ordered a SPDIF HAT [Digi HAT Digital Audio Add-on Board for Raspberry Pi (192KHz, 24bit, SP/DIF, IR)] - has anyone used that?

Know if it in the support HAT list for DietPi?

Has anyone used the USB output into a Modi? Is it (in a Mikeism) Ass?

Cheers

Dec 3, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #42,040 of 151,589
Ok, so the Freya is on the way back to Schiit, after a frustrating time with Fedex trying to create a label online. I failed, tech support failed - they couldn't take any credit card at all; how the hell does an organization like that stay in business.

However, I am now musicless and this is not good. My thought is to hook up my Modi 3. Here's the challenge, my streamer has only balanced outputs. So I have plenty of RPis about, but how to feed the Modi? I've ordered a SPDIF HAT [Digi HAT Digital Audio Add-on Board for Raspberry Pi (192KHz, 24bit, SP/DIF, IR)] - has anyone used that?

Know if it in the support HAT list for DietPi?

Cheers

I sometimes connect my laptop into my mimby using USB since the optical is a pain to turn on and off when needed. Most of the time I use my RPi with a HifiBerry Digi+ HAT connected to the mimby via coaxial. It works well, though I have heard that the more expensive Allo HAT is better (and is a bit more expensive). I am not sure which HAT you got in particular (I tried googling various versions of what you wrote and could not find anything too conclusive). I would say it is probably functional, and if needed, you could always a/b test USB from the Pi and whatever output from the HAT you want to use. My guess is the DietPi probably can handle the HAT, but I think a quick google search of the brand/make of HAT and DietPi should give results (I searched for HifiBerry Digi+ and that one is supported).

Dec 3, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #42,041 of 151,589
I sometimes connect my laptop into my mimby using USB since the optical is a pain to turn on and off when needed. Most of the time I use my RPi with a HifiBerry Digi+ HAT connected to the mimby via coaxial. It works well, though I have heard that the more expensive Allo HAT is better (and is a bit more expensive). I am not sure which HAT you got in particular (I tried googling various versions of what you wrote and could not find anything too conclusive). I would say it is probably functional, and if needed, you could always a/b test USB from the Pi and whatever output from the HAT you want to use. My guess is the DietPi probably can handle the HAT, but I think a quick google search of the brand/make of HAT and DietPi should give results (I searched for HifiBerry Digi+ and that one is supported).
From the description I thought it was the JustBoom Digi HAT as available from Amazon
(Digi HAT Digital Audio Add-on Board for Raspberry Pi (192KHz, 24bit, SP/DIF, IR))
https://www.justboom.co/product/justboom-digi-hat/

reviewed by DARKO https://darko.audio/2017/08/a-better-sounding-raspberry-pi-with-justbooms-digi-hat/

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #42,043 of 151,589

Cheers

I don’t know about your hardware, but on my system I have been able to take the output from my Mac as spdif, toslink and USB in parallel and switch between them on the fly. At the resolving capability of my 2-channel system there was no significant difference between the technologies using my Modi.

I do not fear the USB. My audio nervosa lies elsewhere.

EDIT: PS I doubt Mike would release ANYTHING he personally thinks sounded like asss.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #42,044 of 151,589

Cheers

Graham
My wife's maternal grandfather was an officer in the Portuguese contingent that joined on the side of the Allies in 1916. He was gassed in the trenches, never fully recovered, and died young leaving my wonderful (late) mother-in-law an orphan. Back then in Portugal (as in many other countries), a young girl depended on her father's income and connections to avoid falling into destitution. However, since her father was an officer, my mother-in-law was accepted to a state religious school for the daughters of officers, where my mother-in-law studied chemistry and was able to gain an independent livelihood as a lab technician in a government ag lab, where she worked into her 70s. She was a remarkable woman whose path in life was totally shaped by that French trench warfare.

Dec 4, 2018 at 1:12 AM Post #42,045 of 151,589
Appropros to the WWI discussion and the Armistice anniversary, if anyone would like to learn a ton about the conflict, I really recommend Dan Carlin's Hardcore History podcast. He did a roughly 18 hour (!) series on The Great War that is really engrossing and educational. I'm up to only episode five of six (no spoilers, please!), but certainly can give it my highest recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back