Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 4, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #42,061 of 150,837
Why are you still using a Wyrd instead of the superior Eitr?

Two reasons--I have the Wyrd, and didn't have $179 when I got the Wyrd (which is to say, it was early Schiit for me, and I didn't even know about Gen5 or SPDIF).

I use both the Allo DigiOne and a HiFiBerry SPDIF transports-- the Allo by Coax to the R2R-11 DAC and the second via Toslink to the Modi MB.

The Wyrd serves with the Modi 2 and the Vali 2 stack for HP use only, because I don't want to spring for a Modi 3 (unless I come up with $89 before the 39 B-stock units get sold..) --then both the Wyrd and USB would be retired.

The R2R-11 has the "Amanero Combo 384 USB interface" which has Outstanding sound quality. The Audio-gd folks pack a lot of punch in that all-in-one DAC/HP amp.
Think Gungnir with Asgard 2 in one box...

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #42,062 of 150,837
Why are you still using a Wyrd instead of the superior Eitr?
They do different things. Wyrd is USB to USB with power replacement from the linear wall-wart. Eitr is USB to S/PDIF.

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #42,063 of 150,837
...P.P.S. Don't read the Twilight books.

LOL! Craptastic! Someone once commented they were written for teenage girls and their grandmothers.

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:50 PM Post #42,064 of 150,837
Modi 3 sounds noticeably better to me than modi multibit and modi 2 uber, I'd recommend you sell it and get a Modi 3 at some point. Just my two cents. Schiit really shot themselves in the foot on this one, there is legitimately no reason to buy any higher end dac they offer imo.

Seriously? Which of the higher-end Schiit Audio DACs have you heard?

The Audio-gd folks pack a lot of punch in that all-in-one DAC/HP amp.
Think Gungnir with Asgard 2 in one box...

Why are you messing around with a Modi2 then? Just trying to understand :)

Dec 4, 2018 at 4:51 PM Post #42,065 of 150,837
Dec 4, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #42,066 of 150,837
Modi 3 sounds noticeably better to me than modi multibit and modi 2 uber, I'd recommend you sell it and get a Modi 3 at some point. Just my two cents. Schiit really shot themselves in the foot on this one, there is legitimately no reason to buy any higher end dac they offer imo. Audio is subjective though, so I am aware some thinkg multibit still sounds better, but I also know I am not alone in how much I love the Modi 3, side by side with Grace Design S, it also beats Grace Design S dac to my ears, (all testing done with same amps)
Troll much?

Dec 4, 2018 at 5:00 PM Post #42,067 of 150,837
Seriously? Which of the higher-end Schiit Audio DACs have you heard?
Why are you messing around with a Modi2 then? Just trying to understand :)

Only utilizing existing stock of equipment. In a perfect world I would buy a B-stock Modi 3, and another RasPi/DigiPlusPro endpoint and run Coaxial SPDIF.

But, with my limited resources, that solution is $164 away...so we're using what we got, and I might add, it sounds terrific with the New Telefunken e88cc tube rolled into the Vali 2.

I think that the tube makes the d/s DAC and USB sound as good as possible. I can alway shift the Vali 2 over to the other DAC which has SPDIF but quite frankly, I cannot really hear a huge improvement vs. trouble of moving things, and breaking Stabilant-22 connections.

Let's hope those 39 b-stock Modi 3s don't sell out before I get another $89 out of the cushions of all my furniture...

I had the Gungnir MB for about three months, and I have found that same quality of sound from the Audio-gd R2R-11 ladder DAC, but it also includes a Class-A HP amplifier all-in-one for $350. Think Gumby/Asgard in one box.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #42,068 of 150,837

I am so sorry, I mis-read the box on the iFi iPower 5v which claims 1uV of Noise floor, compared to 10uV for their "Ultra Low Noise adapter" and 20uV for an Audiophile LPS where a wall wort comes in at > 100uV... all this printed by iFi on the box FWIW.

1uV vs 1%, or splitting the hairs on a frog.
And I loved the Dilbert art...sometimes we just make up a number....

I can hear a noticeable improvement when I use the iFi iPower 5v on the RasPi which serves as my SPDIF transport (Allo DigiOne powered from Pi) I think if they can document their claims of removing 99%** of the noise of incoming 5volts, it would be a better than wall wort on virtually any component in the signal path, I would suppose. **-plug in the number, I tend to hyperbole when pulling numbers out my Schiit...

As noted: 1uV of noise, not 1%... and I still think is a worthy investment of $49 for ANY 5v appliance in the sound system.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #42,069 of 150,837
I had the Gungnir MB for about three months, and I have found that same quality of sound from the Audio-gd R2R-11 ladder DAC, but it also includes a Class-A HP amplifier all-in-one for $350. Think Gumby/Asgard in one box.

Right ... the above comment is what I was referring to in my post. Do you have the R2R-11?
ps. I hope the sofa is kind to your wallet :)

Dec 5, 2018 at 12:46 AM Post #42,071 of 150,837
I read a WWI book, massive in size, when I was in the 8th grade. Suffice it to say, I was not exactly a ladies man. :/

Any books on how to be a ladies man? Cause gg my life and being 31 years old now. DEPRESSION INCOMING BOMBS AWAY.... lol... oh boy... spiraling! time to log off now

Forget the books and just go talk to them. At some point you're bound to find a lady you fancy, who tolerates you enough to live with you.
Even I managed to find the most amazing woman last year, after the dumpster fire that was my previous relationship.

Dec 5, 2018 at 1:33 AM Post #42,072 of 150,837
For what it's worth I prefer the modi multibit over the modi 3. Modi 3 is very nice, but modi multbit is still better, subjectively. I notice a bigger difference between the two when using 2 channel gear, less so when using headphones.

If you really want to get into the nitty gritty though, I'd be hard pressed to decide between a modi 3/loki combo and a modi multibit, without Loki. Same price if buying new.

Modi multibit now resides at home with my saga/Vidar combo, modi 3 at work. Soon to be modi 3 in my fathers system., And the one I'm putting together for my den. It's very good, without a doubt.

I think the difference in filters is the key.

Dec 5, 2018 at 2:47 AM Post #42,073 of 150,837
Forget the books and just go talk to them. At some point you're bound to find a lady you fancy, who tolerates you enough to live with you.
Even I managed to find the most amazing woman last year, after the dumpster fire that was my previous relationship.
Ask your parents to unlock the cellar once a while.

Dec 5, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #42,074 of 150,837
giphy.gif

Dec 5, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #42,075 of 150,837
Modi 3 sounds noticeably better to me than modi multibit and modi 2 uber, I'd recommend you sell it and get a Modi 3 at some point. Just my two cents. Schiit really shot themselves in the foot on this one, there is legitimately no reason to buy any higher end dac they offer imo. Audio is subjective though, so I am aware some thinkg multibit still sounds better, but I also know I am not alone in how much I love the Modi 3, side by side with Grace Design S, it also beats Grace Design S dac to my ears, (all testing done with same amps)

You should listen to a Yggdrasil some time. I won't be selling mine to buy a Modi 3 lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back