Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 1, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #42,001 of 151,274
21566CBB-FF62-435A-B35D-2B8CCE0FD66C.jpeg EA8267AF-AA79-49A1-9230-D9F35CF0E17B.jpeg F0720BBB-2F12-4F94-A1CF-DC661A2710FE.jpeg I was at the Schiit-sponsored craft beer fundraiser today, and for your everlasting enjoyment (and I sincerely hope that this is the las time I ever say this ANYWHERE), here are photos of porta-potties and bog roll...
Let the puns commence!

Dec 1, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #42,002 of 151,274
I was at the Schiit-sponsored craft beer fundraiser today, and for your everlasting enjoyment (and I sincerely hope that this is the las time I ever say this ANYWHERE), here are photos of porta-potties and bog roll...
Let the puns commence!
The only thing I would have added to the porta pottie sign is "Please do it here." to the bottom. Did you get to keep the roll of TP?

Dec 1, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #42,003 of 151,274
The only thing I would have added to the porta pottie sign is "Please do it here." to the bottom. Did you get to keep the roll of TP?
I “might” have absconded with the few sheets you see here, merely so I could (as promised) post photos for those of you unable to make it (like Costanza).

Dec 1, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #42,005 of 151,274
That is some crafty schiit. Perfect for when schiit happens.

Looks like double-ply, which is the right schiit.

Dec 1, 2018 at 9:34 PM Post #42,007 of 151,274
I’m a little concerned that Mr Darko was discussing using the ipower linear power supply with the Modi 3. Jason explained why that would be a waste of money in the Modi 3 FAQ.

http://www.schiit.com/products/modi-1

I like his reviews and interviews but this makes me wonder.

Ive got a friend on here bringing me the same iPower power supply for my RPi DAP, but that use is more likely to make a difference vice the Modi 3. And Im still even sceptical until I try it for myself.

I can hear a noticeable improvement when I use the iFi iPower 5v on the RasPi which serves as my SPDIF transport (Allo DigiOne powered from Pi) I think if they can document their claims of removing 99%** of the noise of incoming 5volts, it would be a better than wall wort on virtually any component in the signal path, I would suppose. **-plug in the number, I tend to hyperbole when pulling numbers out my Schiit...

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #42,009 of 151,274
I was at the Schiit-sponsored craft beer fundraiser today, and for your everlasting enjoyment (and I sincerely hope that this is the last time I ever say this ANYWHERE), here are photos of porta-potties and bog roll...!
Is that a VU (volume units) meter on the door :frowning:
dialcrop.jpg

or a low paper warning

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2018 at 10:41 PM Post #42,010 of 151,274
The encountering and (hopefully) eventual taming of quirky circuit failure/ misbehavior modes is a big part of what keeps the design game interesting, IMO.

Oh indeed. Speaking of which I think I just figured out why that 45 amp you and I were talking about has some noise left. :beerchug:

Of course even though I have isolated the problem, I know how to think about how the heck I am gonna fix it : P

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #42,011 of 151,274
Can someone help me with my Modi 3?

I love it, best sounding DAC I have ever heard.

Issue 1: Can I run optical from Modi 3 to Playstation 4, and then RCA out on Modi 3 to a logitech 2.1 z623 400 watt speaker setup? or does it not work that way?

Issue 2: I have Modi 3 hooked up to my PC with USB, can I leave my Magni 3 plugged in, and just plug in my logitech 2.1 speakers to magni 3 preout? then which knob do i use to turn for volume? the one on the z623 left speaker or the one on magni 3? please advise! (I know I leave windows volume at 100% for the dac)

Hi caenlen : P

I think you have some things backwards. I think you want to use your PS4 as a digital source feeding your modi3. Then from the modi 3 into your legitech speakers? If so, yes that should work.

As for your speaker volume control, you should max out your speaker volume control and use the magni 3 control. Or you know. You could get a TRS connector to RCA cable for the amp I made you and use it as a preamp :)

Dec 1, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #42,012 of 151,274
Hi caenlen : P

I think you have some things backwards. I think you want to use your PS4 as a digital source feeding your modi3. Then from the modi 3 into your legitech speakers? If so, yes that should work.

As for your speaker volume control, you should max out your speaker volume control and use the magni 3 control. Or you know. You could get a TRS connector to RCA cable for the amp I made you and use it as a preamp :)

Thanks, can you PM me or link me here what cable it is I exactly need to buy for that? Also, why won't RCA to RCA work? That is the cable I use now for the tube amp you built me... TRS is longer right? so does that activate something in the tube amp that switches it to preout or something?

Dec 2, 2018 at 3:07 AM Post #42,013 of 151,274
Can someone help me with my Modi 3?

I love it, best sounding DAC I have ever heard.

Issue 1: Can I run optical from Modi 3 to Playstation 4, and then RCA out on Modi 3 to a logitech 2.1 z623 400 watt speaker setup? or does it not work that way?

Issue 2: I have Modi 3 hooked up to my PC with USB, can I leave my Magni 3 plugged in, and just plug in my logitech 2.1 speakers to magni 3 preout? then which knob do i use to turn for volume? the one on the z623 left speaker or the one on magni 3? please advise! (I know I leave windows volume at 100% for the dac)

I've always heard (and I also adhere to) the suggestion that one should turn the powered speaker volume to max and adjust volume with the amp. Works well for me.

While I can't say with 100% confidence, I do not see why the scenario in #1 would not work. PS4 as digital source via Toslink - to Modi 3 and then pre-out to powered speakers using speaker volume control.

I must respectfully disagree with ripper.

I use a Logitech 2.1 desktop system at work, with my magni 3 as preamp. I cannot turn that 2.1 more then a third of the way up. Any further and it will get awful distortion/clipping when turning magni past 12 o clock.

My advice would be to play around with your gear and use what sounds best to you. All this gear interacts differently with different components. YMMV and all that.

Dec 2, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #42,014 of 151,274
I must respectfully disagree with ripper.

I use a Logitech 2.1 desktop system at work, with my magni 3 as preamp. I cannot turn that 2.1 more then a third of the way up. Any further and it will get awful distortion/clipping when turning magni past 12 o clock.

My advice would be to play around with your gear and use what sounds best to you. All this gear interacts differently with different components. YMMV and all that.

Well I literally sit an arms length away from everything, so I am just going to plug the speakers directly in the modi 3, then when I want headphones, I unplug the back of dac and plug in the amp. Really not a big deal, should be better purity that way anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back