Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 14, 2018 at 7:31 AM Post #41,686 of 150,730
1-funny-texts-for-him.gif

Nov 14, 2018 at 8:15 AM Post #41,687 of 150,730
I'd strongly factor in that with 20 breweries participating in the anniversary, many of which are helmed by large, burly brewing-type guys, all of which have big burly beer-drinking-type fans, many of which who will be, ah, more than a little snockered, who to a man (or woman) would be less than amused by a dearth of TP, this may not be the best strategy for long-term health and well-being.
I just learned many new words. Great idea: Schiit TP

Nov 14, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #41,689 of 150,730
Nov 14, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #41,692 of 150,730
Looks like nuclear powered or like "whack-a-mole"?

upload_2018-11-14_16-15-2.png

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #41,695 of 150,730
I combined some of those tubes in an amp I designed. Slightly different display but same principle.

LOL I love the part about the curve tracer, I can probably only show four of five in my shop, some of which I built. Nice old scope he is using for the display though. Huntron made or makes that device all built together but there are cheaper ways to go. Not a bad video for those starting out to learn some basics. Below are three different curve tracers I had not used for a while that I am checking out, I can just plug them into a scope as needed.IMG_2747.JPG

Thanks for sharing Rensek.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #41,696 of 150,730
A bit bemused by the giddy excitement over Schiit toilet paper. The business opportunity is obvious - Schiit needs to buy this stuff by the boxcar load and sell it on their website. The advertising practically writes itself - "We're on a roll...you can be, too..." List it on a new "Schwagg":copyright: page, with T-shirts and other products I probably don't want to think about before sitting down to dinner. Heck, toss in a free roll with any order over $150.00. Great potential for repeat business. How often do you need a new DAC, versus how often you need a new roll of TP?

Oh, and, Jason, make sure the porta-potties you rent (and rent lots) for the beerfest have built-in sound systems. So you can play Golden Oldies. Like Prince - "cuz' tonite we're gonna potty like it's 1999" and The Byrds - "To everything, turd turd turd, there is a season, turd turd turd" or Jefferson Airplane - "You call it rain, but the human name doesn't mean Schiit to a tree," and of course that revered philosopher Frank Zappa - "Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow..." I'll stop now, lest I be banned for life.

On a more serious note, add my voice to the chorus asking far an all-tube speaker amp with circa 75wpc. New Stereophile arrived, complete with "Ape Schiit" ad (two page spread, you guys must be doing well.) Herb Reichert, the senior desperately-hanging-on hipster in residence and Ygg owner, praises a new Cary tube amp. And he name-checks Mike Moffat for championing the 6DJ8 tube which he likes in the Cary. Which sells for $6K. Tell me Mike and Jason couldn't do better for less than $2K. Another marketing opportunity

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #41,697 of 150,730
Been fallowing this thread for a while, got a question. My father owns a pair of original Martin Logan Quest speakers that he's had since 1991. Given the electrical specs that I found in the owners manual which are:
S e n s i t i v i t y 90dB/1 watt/meter

Power Handling 200 watts per channel

Recommended Amplifier Power 80 - 200 watts per channel

I m p e d a n c e
Nominal: 6 ohms; Minimum: 2 ohms

How good a match would a Vidar or pair of Vidars be?

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:29 AM Post #41,698 of 150,730
I gotta think it's a match. I have vidar powering some 8 ohm wharfedale tower monitors circa 00-01, 125 watt max power rating, 90/89 db/1watt meter depending on what literature believe. vidar and saga maxed puts out 100 wpc. Those speakers get crazy loud via Vidar. I had my db meter hitting 100db about 25 feet away from speakers. Vidar wasn't maxed.

Vidar would do 150 wpc into your speakers. You could max out Vidar and destroy your eardrums before ever hurting your speakers.

Those two ohm dips might be something to pay attention to at high volume for sustained listening, but the reviews I've read says it handles 2 ohms as well, even though schiit literature doesn't talk about it.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 12:32 AM Post #41,699 of 150,730
I gotta think it's a match. I have vidar powering some 8 ohm wharfedale tower monitors circa 00-01, 125 watt max power rating, 90/89 db/1watt meter depending on what literature believe. vidar and saga maxed puts out 100 wpc. Those speakers get crazy loud via Vidar. I had my db meter hitting 100db about 25 feet away from speakers. Vidar wasn't maxed.

Vidar would do 150 wpc into your speakers. You could max out Vidar and destroy your eardrums before ever hurting your speakers.

The only thing I'm concerned about is the impedance dip to 2 ohms, I've read that the Vidars don't like low impedance speakers when in mono bloc mode.

Nov 15, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #41,700 of 150,730
The only thing I'm concerned about is the impedance dip to 2 ohms, I've read that the Vidars don't like low impedance speakers when in mono bloc mode.

No idea about mono blocking. I'm running one in stereo, and I can't fathom running two with my current speakers. From what I've read it can handle alot, but not everything. Don't some Maggies have vicious ohm dips? Sounds like Vidar pushes them really well. Room size and other factors coming into play of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back