Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 17, 2018 at 2:57 AM Post #41,716 of 151,061
OblongEnchantingGreatdane-small.gif

Nov 17, 2018 at 8:44 AM Post #41,717 of 151,061
Now, if I can just figure out a way to clean up my WiFi in our condominium. Pings. Pops. Scritchy-scratchy. Even some stuttering. I know an EITR won’t fix it. The moment I run a 16’ CAT5e cable from my Netgear Nighthawk R7000P (with the latest firmware update, no other load on the router), silent background again. :triportsad::triportsad::triportsad:

I’m casting a critical eye towards my elderly laptop feeding my Modi. Die!
:ksc75smile:
I have the same router and have all audio connections wired.
In my experience wired is always better than WiFi.

Nov 17, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #41,718 of 151,061

I agree, hard wired beats wireless and I have both.

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:33 PM Post #41,719 of 151,061

I agree, hard wired beats wireless and I have both.

At first, I thought the answer to my woes was picking up a designated media streamer (a Bluesound Node 2i was on my short-list). Or, try my hand at assembling a Pi. I ended up buying an Acer Chromebook 15 (after watching my wife cuss & swear at her Windows 10 laptop, I won't upgrade my Windows 7 rig). If I have enough cash at the end of December, I'll pick up an EITR to play with. I understand my current set-up is as good as it's going to get (stack o' Modi, Loki, Magni, Vali, Sys).

Re: hard-wired versus WiFi audio. Even though we own this condo suite, the thought of hammer-drilling holes through the 1970-era concrete makes me queasy. These Canadian-built condominiums might have loads of aluminium wiring (and mirrors on the ceilings?!), but the cement they used is hard-hard-hard (we had a suite gutted by fire... the adjacent rooms were untouched). The building plans are INCOMPLETE, and the thought of puncturing something in the walls also add to my demo-anxiety. I guess I could snake wiring along the walls and cover it with some kind of cable cover (make the place look like the insides of a submarine). Wife might have issues with that.... Hmmm.

Nov 17, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #41,720 of 151,061
At first, I thought the answer to my woes was picking up a designated media streamer (a Bluesound Node 2i was on my short-list). Or, try my hand at assembling a Pi. I ended up buying an Acer Chromebook 15 (after watching my wife cuss & swear at her Windows 10 laptop, I won't upgrade my Windows 7 rig). If I have enough cash at the end of December, I'll pick up an EITR to play with. I understand my current set-up is as good as it's going to get (stack o' Modi, Loki, Magni, Vali, Sys)

I ran cat 5 cable to my bedroom, to a hard-wired RasPi endpoint which is on an OpenSSH network. My Wi-Fi is good enough for a laptop, but not audio. Hard-wired is the way to go. There are different colors of Cat 6 cable which may make it either more concealed or a splash of bright color...:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Nov 17, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #41,721 of 151,061
I have a designated ethernet music transport also because I can avoid USB that way. (see my personal page)
The streamer I have sounds really good in combination with the Yggdrasil.
I do not concur to the motion that all media players sound like phuck.
Added convenience is the total balanced pathway.
I know that the later will be seen as audio nervosa but it's the way it and I am wired.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #41,722 of 151,061
Now, if I can just figure out a way to clean up my WiFi in our condominium. Pings. Pops. Scritchy-scratchy. Even some stuttering. I know an EITR won’t fix it. The moment I run a 16’ CAT5e cable from my Netgear Nighthawk R7000P (with the latest firmware update, no other load on the router), silent background again. :triportsad::triportsad::triportsad:

Wondering how viable it might be to go all 5Ghz on the Nighthawk to reduce interference but not sure your clients can do that freq.

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #41,723 of 151,061

Wonder if you could avoid the issue with something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/NETGEAR-PowerLINE-Gigabit-Pass-Through-PLP1200-100PAS/dp/B00S6DBGIS/

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #41,724 of 151,061
This may have been discussed already but the deluxe Beatles white album available from HDtracks and other places is freaking amazing. This is an album I know well and have heard more than most things in my collection so to hear it with such jaw dropping clarity really made my day.

Nov 17, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #41,725 of 151,061
Nov 17, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #41,726 of 151,061
This may have been discussed already but the deluxe Beatles white album available from HDtracks and other places is freaking amazing. This is an album I know well and have heard more than most things in my collection so to hear it with such jaw dropping clarity really made my day.

Dang-it. I had and lost it on vinyl in the late '70's, at least two versions on cassette, and the first or second CD version. Paul & Ringo should send me a "Thank You" note for buying it a fifth time...:ksc75smile:
The recent release of Sgt.Peppers is pretty solid, too.

Nov 17, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #41,727 of 151,061
I got Sgt Peppers on vinyl again not long ago. The white album going through the Gumby and Freya through various amps I have been tweaking is about as good as it gets for me.

Nov 17, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #41,728 of 151,061
I think a lot of Beatles vinyl is available at Music Direct.

Nov 17, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #41,729 of 151,061
There have been a wealth of excellent reissues this month. Along with the White Album Deluxe Box set (ripped Blu-Ray), I have been listening to Hendrix's Axis: Bold As Love (Hybrid CD/SACD) and Electric Ladyland (ripped Blu-Ray). Yesterday, I bought the Stone's Beggar's Banquet from HDTracks. Of them all, Axis: Bold As Love has the greatest improvement over what was previously available

Nov 17, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #41,730 of 151,061
I pulled it up on Amazon Music Unlimited, they earned the $7.99 this month just for this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back