Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 5, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #41,401 of 149,298
You can try connecting a thin wire to the chassis of all your components to see if it helps. Any screw on the chassis would do. That way the ground on all the components are connected directly with the one wire. I was taught that trick by an electrician back in the day to get rid of a hum I had in my system at the time.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #41,403 of 149,298
Hehehe ... I live in a simulacrum of democracy, but in reality my household is a matriarchal monarchy. The fairer sex outnumbers me by a significant margin, so even when we "vote" ... I lose. My GSD is the only other male in the household, and even he is beholden to the queen.

Used to have a beautiful male short hair ... but he ran away :worried:.

What is s GSD?

EDIT: Never mind, already answered.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #41,404 of 149,298
I can explain the logic behind directional RCA cables sometime if you like, I have experimented with some. Decent coaxial cable works quite well of course and should not be causing you any issues.

I’m actually curious about that. My Monster cables have arrows on them, and I generally orient them away from source because, why not? I’ve never bothered A/Bing them diectionally. But I’ve been mildly curious about whether it was just marketeing hoopla back when I bought them. (My dealer was authorized by Monster - they’re all hand built and different appropriate lengths).

Nov 5, 2018 at 12:43 PM Post #41,405 of 149,298
I believe it's because the shield is connected on just one end and they want you to connect it properly. I believe it's with the shield connected at the receiving component not the source component.

Nov 5, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #41,406 of 149,298
I’m actually curious about that. My Monster cables have arrows on them, and I generally orient them away from source because, why not? I’ve never bothered A/Bing them diectionally. But I’ve been mildly curious about whether it was just marketeing hoopla back when I bought them. (My dealer was authorized by Monster - they’re all hand built and different appropriate lengths).
I cannot tell much difference in performance between a good double shielded coaxial cable or microphone cable set up in this way. Some of my customers require it and they like the ability to open the connectors and modify the connections as needed.

Nov 5, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #41,408 of 149,298
I haven't run into any hum related issues since I got out of vinyl over 15 years ago, and those were pretty easy to fix just by going over the TT grounding arrangement. And they were a once in a blue moon event. I'd check for tight connections, (and cleaning them while going thru the process) or looking for a defective / intermittent interconnect. That's one reason I don't bother with bargains at $4.95 a meter. No need to spend thousands but there is always a happy median somewhere that's built well enough using good materials that will give years of trouble free service. I also clean the connections once a year even though they always look new with the plating's used now a days.

My rules of thumb is use only one wall outlet for AC, isolate digital from analog equipment with a power filtering / conditioning devise with at least 2 isolated socket banks, and if there is an arrow on a cable indicating direction, abide by it.

RFI can be more difficult, I'm a hard wired kinda guy and avoid wireless whenever possible. The only wireless devise I have is my laptop that sits on the dining room table (and my land line phone has a wireless portable along side that won't work when I'm running the microwave) . My big PC's in the basement and TV are all hard wired. My cell phone spends most of its time in the glove box of my car.

I'm always surprised when I see how many folks are having various noise issues with a lot of the same equipment I have.

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #41,409 of 149,298
I haven't run into any hum related issues since I got out of vinyl over 15 years ago, and those were pretty easy to fix just by going over the TT grounding arrangement. And they were a once in a blue moon event. I'd check for tight connections, (and cleaning them while going thru the process) or looking for a defective / intermittent interconnect. That's one reason I don't bother with bargains at $4.95 a meter. No need to spend thousands but there is always a happy median somewhere that's built well enough using good materials that will give years of trouble free service. I also clean the connections once a year even though they always look new with the plating's used now a days.

My rules of thumb is use only one wall outlet for AC, isolate digital from analog equipment with a power filtering / conditioning devise with at least 2 isolated socket banks, and if there is an arrow on a cable indicating direction, abide by it.

RFI can be more difficult, I'm a hard wired kinda guy and avoid wireless whenever possible. The only wireless devise I have is my laptop that sits on the dining room table (and my land line phone has a wireless portable along side that won't work when I'm running the microwave) . My big PC's in the basement and TV are all hard wired. My cell phone spends most of its time in the glove box of my car.

I'm always surprised when I see how many folks are having various noise issues with a lot of the same equipment I have.
Nicely said FLTWS!

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #41,410 of 149,298
6SN7 LISST lacks the sex appeal of a tube. Even a socket savers lift doesn’t improve its looks, maybe better buried down inside a bit, LOL! I’ll let it burn in for a couple days while I await delivery of my “last” (I’m dead X%&*#@ serious, this time) tube on order to arrive. A Grant Fidelity Treasure Globe 6SN7-SE Limited Edition Lowest noise - Grade A, single tube.
Oh, silly. There is no such thing as a "last" tube once you buy your first. :p
Did you take a look at the new 6SN7 Sophia Electric is offering? They used to be re-labeled TJs but this is something totally new. The plate structure looks like a copy of a 50's RCA ladder plate. I'm sure TJ is still manufacturing it but the fact that the tube is physically new piques my curiosity a bit.

Nov 5, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #41,411 of 149,298
Oh, silly. There is no such thing as a "last" tube once you buy your first. :p
Did you take a look at the new 6SN7 Sophia Electric is offering? They used to be re-labeled TJs but this is something totally new. The plate structure looks like a copy of a 50's RCA ladder plate. I'm sure TJ is still manufacturing it but the fact that the tube is physically new piques my curiosity a bit.

I was not aware of Sophia Electric (still very new to tubes, especially new production tubes). Now I have more options to look at and consider when I get around to updating my tubes, thanks. I kind of like the coke bottle design of the EL34s... not sure I want to shell out that much for a quad just yet though.

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #41,412 of 149,298
Nov 5, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #41,413 of 149,298
Re: Hum talk.

In order to isolate the hum in my Vidar, Schiit support asked me to try another outlet. Since I'm not ready to move vidar out of my garage yet I haven't tried their suggestion.

In the meantime my Vidar Saga Mimby combo sounds awesome.This garage is 34 x 20 with open slanted ceilings so I play it louder then the hum anyway. I should mention that I was able to hit 104db on my wharfedales during van Halens eruption, from 20 feet away, sounded awesome, no distortion that I could hear. I have a cheapo db meter I bought on Amazon.

I came across this video by Paul last night. His attitude on hum helped convince me not to worry about it right now. Why let nervosa get in the way of a good thing.

My living room is considerably smaller, 12 x 20 so I won't worry about hum unless I hear it from the listening position in that room.

That trick of wiring all devices to a single ground was pretty interesting, as is the directional cable talk.

Music talk, I'm at work listening to a playlist called Latenight Jazz by Spotify. I'm an admitted jazz noob so this playlist is a gold mine for good music and new artists to explore. 1.25 million followers can't all be wrong.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 6:13 AM Post #41,414 of 149,298
Re Hum. the hum is coming from my usb3 camera kit adapter for my iPhone. I’ve tried multiple usb and lightning cables as well as different power bricks and other usb power sources to no avail. I’ll be using a different source for now until I can get a another Schiit DAC with the new schiity usb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back