Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 6, 2018 at 8:45 AM Post #41,416 of 150,791
Oh, silly. There is no such thing as a "last" tube once you buy your first. :p
Did you take a look at the new 6SN7 Sophia Electric is offering? They used to be re-labeled TJs but this is something totally new. The plate structure looks like a copy of a 50's RCA ladder plate. I'm sure TJ is still manufacturing it but the fact that the tube is physically new piques my curiosity a bit.

It's OK son, the first hit is FREE!

What? Oh, no, nobody gets addicted off just one.....

Nov 6, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #41,417 of 150,791
One common cause for hum is DC offset that can be caused by things like light dimmers or refrigerators or even some switching power supplies on the same electrical circuit in your house. If you can't power the amp from a different circuit, try using something like an Emotiva CMX2 to filter out the problem.

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #41,418 of 150,791
Then there's the perpetual 'next-to-the-last' tube. :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #41,419 of 150,791
:laughing:

Good sir ... your assumption that I have VETO power made my morning. My wife IS the boss of the house, but allow me to elucidate this matter a little:

1) I do all of the household laundry, so my opinion may carry some weight in this particular matter. ?maybe?
2) Refusal is not VETO ... she's a powerful, successful, career woman who could buy a new set at any time.
3) While I may personally refuse to replace my reliable, cost effective, simple to refurb units of my own accord ... that is very different from actively preventing her from going out on her lonesome to acquisition a new pair (which she could do at any time).
4) Now this is where, like you, I'll make an assumption. I'm assuming she'd rather wait for me to be onboard with their replacement, as her time is precious, and she'd rather not deal with associated time loss of said acquisition.

@KoshNaranek , those SpeedQueen commercial units are on my shortlist for the inevitable day I can no longer source parts. They're found in many apartment complexes around here, and never seem to fail. :thumbsup:
Amen, brother @liquidsmote ...

BTW, to my fellow US-Schiitheads.... Please exercise your right. Vote, eh. :ksc75smile:

Nov 6, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #41,420 of 150,791
CA6649CA-3E69-4EDD-A634-7A2EAFBF4803.jpeg :flag_um:Schiit Book Club Update :flag_ca: To my Canadian & US veterans... thank you for preventing my Cold War going Hot.
Sincerely,
A Poppy-Wearing-ScubaMan.

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #41,421 of 150,791
Hey, one question for you guys with way more experience and knowledge than me...

You know some Hi-Fi systems have rather crappy volume potentiometers that you can turn with the minimum force applied to them and because of that, are kinda difficult to deal with when you want to adjust the volume in a precise way cause you always end applying more force than needed so if the volume is at let's say 9 o'clock, you try to move it a little bit but "it jumps" to 10 o'clock so you need to turn it back and it's grrrrrrrrrrrr infuriating.

Now, there are other pots that require "a lot" of torque so they move in an extremely smooth way, which is -at least to me- very satisfying cause it allows me to reach the exact volume without a single problem (no need to go back and forth).

So my question is: is there a name for those "high traction" pots?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #41,422 of 150,791
Hey, one question for you guys with way more experience and knowledge than me...

You know some Hi-Fi systems have rather crappy volume potentiometers that you can turn with the minimum force applied to them and because of that, are kinda difficult to deal with when you want to adjust the volume in a precise way cause you always end applying more force than needed so if the volume is at let's say 9 o'clock, you try to move it a little bit but "it jumps" to 10 o'clock so you need to turn it back and it's grrrrrrrrrrrr infuriating.

Now, there are other pots that require "a lot" of torque so they move in an extremely smooth way, which is -at least to me- very satisfying cause it allows me to reach the exact volume without a single problem (no need to go back and forth).

Thanks a lot in advance.

I don't know the answer to your question. But:

Some stepped potentiometers switches like those used in Bottlehead Projects actually can have the torque adjusted by removing a leaf spring. Of course with these they step from one level to another so if you miss you just go back.

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #41,423 of 150,791
:flag_um:Schiit Book Club Update :flag_ca: To my Canadian & US veterans... thank you for preventing my Cold War going Hot.
Sincerely,
A Poppy-Wearing-ScubaMan.

What did the TSA think of your book? I've listened to the audiobook, pretty amazing stories. I think one of us was on one of the featured subs.

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:23 AM Post #41,424 of 150,791
What did the TSA think of your book? I've listened to the audiobook, pretty amazing stories. I think one of us was on one of the featured subs.
Like I've said before, I can neither confirm nor deny any aspect of the details in that book. :)

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #41,425 of 150,791

Thanks a lot in advance.
Unfortunately, I can only suggest a manufacturer that apparently put a lot of design & engineering into the horizontal-mounted “pot”, the JDS Labs The Element.
My reference:
2015 Vlog. Adam Savage’s Tested series. Link.

My Grundig Satellit 750 has a big chunky tuning knob that resists drift. Are you considering breaking out the soldering kit and replacing it on a Schiit device? Sure it’ll void the waranty, I respect your right to repair, eh.

{edit} I’m not ready to void my waranties; however, perhaps you could visit this discussion forum and snoop-and-search. Just my 2 cents...
https://www.bottlehead.com/smf/index.php

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 10:30 AM Post #41,427 of 150,791
Like I've said before, I can neither confirm nor deny any aspect of the details in that book. :)
TSA slip (I never, ever try to bullsh@t my way through the boarders)...

Good eyesight. And observant.
Maybe a little tooooooooooo observant..... :ksc75smile:

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #41,428 of 150,791
The problem I've had with my Ragnarok's stepped attenuator is that 64 steps is too broad in some cases especially when trying to match volumes with another amp using my sound meter. I always have to set the Ragnarok first and have any other amps matched to it. Maybe 128 steps would be better. My RH-5 has 185 steps which vary in 0.5 dB increments. I also imagine there's a lot more that goes into good attenuator beyond just the number of steps.

And in my experience the larger in diameter and weightier the knob the easier it is to really fine tune levels.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #41,429 of 150,791
For that we should be using Vernier dials. Or the Krell power indicators from the movie.

Nov 6, 2018 at 10:55 AM Post #41,430 of 150,791
Some stepped potentiometers switches like those used in Bottlehead Projects actually can have the torque adjusted by removing a leaf spring. Of course with these they step from one level to another so if you miss you just go back.

Interesting, I'm wondering if the pots I'm talking about work in that way.

Unfortunately, I can only suggest a manufacturer that apparently put a lot of design & engineering into the horizontal-mounted “pot”, the JDS Labs The Element.
My reference:
2015 Vlog. Adam Savage’s Tested series. Link.

My Grundig Satellit 750 has a big chunky tuning knob that resists drift. Are you considering breaking out the soldering kit and replacing it on a Schiit device? Sure it’ll void the waranty, I respect your right to repair, eh.

No, until a couple of days I was using a pair of Genelec M030 powered monitors + Asgard 2. Buuuut, one of my monitors died. I need to replace a SMT fuse, so in the meantime I'm using a pair of KEF LS50 + a TEAC digital amp and I've forgotten how awesome the volume pot is, extremely smooth & precise movement. So I'm wondering if those are considered "high-end" pots and what's the actual name.

:D I'm wondering what would be your answer after some (a lot) of drinks :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back