Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 4, 2018 at 8:58 AM Post #41,371 of 149,327
Careful. You'll have me posting photos of my Tektronix 500 series oscilloscope collection. Lots of tubes in those. That they were all hand built on a production basis boggles my mind. My 547 is fully restored and functional, still has all the original tubes. Doubles as a space heater in the winter.

I had a good friend from Texas who had one of those. There was a time when things were built to last and from what I have been told, the test equipment tubes are the ones that really hold up. A time when you could buy a washer and dryer and expect them to last 30 years, I have one employee who has bought five sets in 25 years while I have an old set that is perfectly functional at 30 years of age.

Nov 4, 2018 at 9:18 AM Post #41,372 of 149,327
6SN7 LISST lacks the sex appeal of a tube. Even a socket savers lift doesn’t improve its looks, maybe better buried down inside a bit, LOL! I’ll let it burn in for a couple days while I await delivery of my “last” (I’m dead X%&*#@ serious, this time) tube on order to arrive. A Grant Fidelity Treasure Globe 6SN7-SE Limited Edition Lowest noise - Grade A, single tube.
upload_2018-11-4_9-16-44.png

Nov 4, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #41,373 of 149,327
I had a good friend from Texas who had one of those. There was a time when things were built to last and from what I have been told, the test equipment tubes are the ones that really hold up. A time when you could buy a washer and dryer and expect them to last 30 years, I have one employee who has bought five sets in 25 years while I have an old set that is perfectly functional at 30 years of age.

Hahaha .... my wife has been pushing for a new washer / dryer set for 20 years. I refuse. I have a basic set of GE's that I rebuild as needed. The dryer usually just needs slide bearings and a belt every 5 years ... maybe 30 minutes max.

Meanwhile ... you aren't kidding ... these newfangled W/Ds with built in smart phones .... NO WAY JOSE ... my parents / friends failed so fast and were so expensive to repair.

Nov 4, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #41,375 of 149,327
Hahaha .... my wife has been pushing for a new washer / dryer set for 20 years. I refuse. I have a basic set of GE's that I rebuild as needed. The dryer usually just needs slide bearings and a belt every 5 years ... maybe 30 minutes max.

Meanwhile ... you aren't kidding ... these newfangled W/Ds with built in smart phones .... NO WAY JOSE ... my parents / friends failed so fast and were so expensive to repair.
You can still get 30 year equipment. Just like anything in audio. You go with a brand you trust and do some research.

https://speedqueencommercial.com/en-us/home

Nov 4, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #41,376 of 149,327
6SN7 LISST lacks the sex appeal of a tube. Even a socket savers lift doesn’t improve its looks, maybe better buried down inside a bit, LOL! I’ll let it burn in for a couple days while I await delivery of my “last” (I’m dead X%&*#@ serious, this time) tube on order to arrive. A Grant Fidelity Treasure Globe 6SN7-SE Limited Edition Lowest noise - Grade A, single tube.

Hmmm I should start a raffle, pick the week when @FLTWS buys another tube and win a prize. I have a feeling it will be within two weeks of the Grant Fidelity Treasure Globe if there is really such a tube. I do not want to Google it only to have my hopes dashed or to find out it sells for $1,000 and when used, you not only hear the music, you taste, feel, smell, and see it. The holy grail of tubes.:) I have been around electronics for a while but I thought Grade A applied to eggs, who could have imagined tubes were graded that way as well?

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #41,377 of 149,327
Hmmm I should start a raffle, pick the week when @FLTWS buys another tube and win a prize. I have a feeling it will be within two weeks of the Grant Fidelity Treasure Globe if there is really such a tube. I do not want to Google it only to have my hopes dashed or to find out it sells for $1,000 and when used, you not only hear the music, you taste, feel, smell, and see it. The holy grail of tubes.:) I have been around electronics for a while but I thought Grade A applied to eggs, who could have imagined tubes were graded that way as well?

Price? Not that much but, yes, that's why I only bought 1 instead of a matched pair. But lately I've been thinking long and hard on the topics of balanced vs SE and "Pure" Class A all the way versus "the others" in an HP amp that can deliver serious juice to the phones. I made the mistake of revisiting some of Nelson Pass's thoughts on these subjects (I liked the Threshold preamp I owned back in the 80's). Truth to tell I still lust for some aspects of both SS and tubed sound in one unit that is all SS to take the tubes out of the equation. I prefer listening balanced over SE on all the amps I have until LYR3 came along. Now my wheels are churning again, ouch! My brain hurts, LOL! The fun never stops for me.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 12:20 PM Post #41,378 of 149,327
Price? Not that much but, yes, that's why I only bought 1 instead of a matched pair. But lately I've been thinking long and hard on the topics of balanced vs SE and "Pure" Class A all the way versus "the others" in an HP amp can can deliver serious juice to the phones. I made the mistake of revisiting some of Nelson Pass's thoughts on these subjects (I liked the Threshold preamp I owned back in the 80's). Truth to tell I still lust for some aspects of both SS and tubed sound in one unit that is all SS to take the tubes out of the equation. I prefer listening balanced over SE on all the amps I have until LYR3 came along. Now my wheels are churning again, ouch! My brain hurts, LOL! The fun never stops for me.

I have been around solid state for so many years that it is fun for me to go back to tubes and right now that is my preference. It had been a while since I looked up that Treasure Globe tube and I was being facetious, I will be curious to hear your impressions. I have one amp that only uses one of the 6SN7's and it is my favorite HP amp. My next tube HP amp will use those as well and give me a small amount of speaker power, Class A of course. I am working on clearing space for it now. My setup got to be a little too complex so it is time to for me to simplify.

Nov 4, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #41,379 of 149,327
She should just buy them without your consent.
Why do you have a veto over that?

:laughing:

Good sir ... your assumption that I have VETO power made my morning. My wife IS the boss of the house, but allow me to elucidate this matter a little:

1) I do all of the household laundry, so my opinion may carry some weight in this particular matter. ?maybe?
2) Refusal is not VETO ... she's a powerful, successful, career woman who could buy a new set at any time.
3) While I may personally refuse to replace my reliable, cost effective, simple to refurb units of my own accord ... that is very different from actively preventing her from going out on her lonesome to acquisition a new pair (which she could do at any time).
4) Now this is where, like you, I'll make an assumption. I'm assuming she'd rather wait for me to be onboard with their replacement, as her time is precious, and she'd rather not deal with associated time loss of said acquisition.

@KoshNaranek , those SpeedQueen commercial units are on my shortlist for the inevitable day I can no longer source parts. They're found in many apartment complexes around here, and never seem to fail. :thumbsup:

Nov 4, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #41,380 of 149,327
Good sir ... your assumption that I have VETO power made my morning. My wife IS the boss of the house, but allow me to elucidate this matter a little:

1) I do all of the household laundry, so my opinion may carry some weight in this particular matter. ?maybe?
In my book, if it's you who does the laundry than you have veto.

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #41,381 of 149,327
In my book, if it's you who does the laundry than you have veto.

Hehehe ... I live in a simulacrum of democracy, but in reality my household is a matriarchal monarchy. The fairer sex outnumbers me by a significant margin, so even when we "vote" ... I lose. My GSD is the only other male in the household, and even he is beholden to the queen.

Used to have a beautiful male short hair ... but he ran away :worried:.

Nov 4, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #41,382 of 149,327
I took some time to A/B my system with Sage in tube and passive mode, now that the Modi 3 is in my system.

I'm using the 6SN7 Tung-Sol New Production Tube that Schiit sells. My amp is Vidar and my speakers are KEF LS50s. I also have a pair of Tekton Pendragon subwoofers which I sometimes turn off depending on the genre of music.

First off, there isn't a huge difference between the two modes, which I think says something good about the transparency of Saga's active stage. The immediate difference is that there is definitely some gain with the active stage on. The difference, to my ears, is about one step on Saga's volume control. I did not confirm this with an SPL meter. For my listening, I switched between the modes and added or reduced the volume that step at the same time to make it an even match.

In terms of the sound quality, while the difference wan't large, it was easily noticeable. I'm fairly certain I'd be able to pick out one mode over the other in an ABX test.

The difference, as best I can describe it, is that in tube mode, there was something "more" to the sound. I don't mean that in necessarily a positive way. However, after spending some time with music that I like, I found myself preferring the sound with the tube engaged. I felt that whatever sound was being added to the music had a very pleasant harmonic effect.

I also got the sense that the passive mode was more accurate. Listening to live studio recordings, the separation of instruments and vocals was more clear and it was easier to pinpoint a location in the soundstage for each. Another way to put it is that the space between the instruments was more empty, or black. On a handful of songs, this improved the realism of the sound. It provided a better "artist is in the room with you" feeling. The album that I felt this most strongly with, and the only one I found myself outright preferring passive mode on, song after song, was "Love Has Come for You" by Steve Martin Edie Brickell.

However, in most other recordings, possibly due to lower production quality, the songs didn't sound more real in passive mode, just a little more flat. The tube section often made the sound feel more cohesive in a positive way. Another way I can explain it is that in tube mode, the whole soundstage in front of my was filled, whereas in passive mode, there were "holes" in the sound. Now, if those "holes" are supposed to be there and help improve instrument separation and such, that's good. But I listen mostly to modern music which, the vast majority of the time, isn't produced well and doesn't have clear instrument separation to begin with. With those recordings, passive mode didn't make the music feel more real, and most importantly, it lessened the emotional impact of what I was listening too. Even on some well recorded music, where my preference was more of a toss up rather than an outright preference, I tended to lean towards the tube mode for this reason.

Like I said at the beginning, these differences were mostly subtle, but I could hear the same effect on a number of different songs in different genres, so I'm fairly confident in what I was perceiving. Of course we all have different ears so you might hear something entirely different than me.

My main takeaway is that I will continue to use the tube stage in most of my music listening, but now I'll definitely try the passive mode as well when listening to acoustic, live, or well produced recordings, or when I'm in a more critical mood. However, for me, listening to music is more often an emotional experience, and the tube mode improved the impact, less accurate or not.

I also got my LISST in the mail a few days ago. Once I get it in my system and let it burn in for a bit (just to be sure), I'll do another comparison and see if any of this changes.

Nov 4, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #41,383 of 149,327
My GSD is the only other male in the household, and even he is beholden to the queen.
Used to have a beautiful male short hair ... but he ran away
What's a GSD and.... she has you by the short hairs....
You use a salad centrifuge for all that women's lingerie too?
I always did when my wife was still alive.
51LaMYNpmRL._SY300_.jpg

At last a real man where I can share my girly girly things with.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 6:36 PM Post #41,384 of 149,327
What's a GSD and.... she has you by the short hairs....
You use a salad centrifuge for all that women's lingerie too?
I always did when my wife was still alive.
51LaMYNpmRL._SY300_.jpg

At last a real man where I can share my girly girly things with.

Edit: Didn't even answer your question the 1st time around. German Shep Dog and an American Shorthair cat.

Ahhhhh hahaha I never thought to use a salad shooter (edit centrifuge) ... that's actually a great idea for more than just lingerie =D !!!

I wouldn't have it any other way ... my wife has put up with my shenanigans since we were teenagers. She's a great woman, and if you can you imagine, I even get along smashingly with my in-laws!?!

I'm sure you've heard this, and I'm the last person to say it (or who'd you'd even care to hear it from), but my heart goes out to you for losing your wife. A grievous wound I would not fathom to suffer, as I intend to go first. I do not believe I'm strong enough to handle a loss like that.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #41,385 of 149,327
... if you can you imagine, I even get along smashingly with my in-laws!?! ...

Basically what it's about, join a new family.
I've had two chances and loved 'em all and now miss 'em all. Enjoy the time, because it's too short, my friend.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back