Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 31, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #41,266 of 149,393
I got some Schiit in today. Tomorrow I will try to a/b the mani and the phono stage in my integrated Marantz. I hope the sys and way too many interconnects don’t color the sound enough to discredit the test. Do you guys have any suggestions on best practices with this ? I figure the sys will allow me to quickly go between the 2. After I settle on one or the other, I’ll take the sys out.
Thanks.

Make sure you have the gains on Mani as close to what the gain of the integrated is as possible.

I would use as short of interconnects as possible (all the same brand and length) and if you really want to be anal don't let them cross each other, however if they must only at 90 degree angles

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #41,267 of 149,393
Did anyone get a phono stage with a Lyr 3 and if so how do you like it?

Nov 1, 2018 at 8:55 AM Post #41,268 of 149,393
I have the phono stage with the Jotenheim (same phono card). I don't really have much to compare it to other than the stock AT preamp inside my AT-120 (I performed a preampectomy to remove all caps from the bypass circuit). It was a great improvement over the stock preamp. I how ever wish I'd gotten the Mani. Why? Because if you use a loki or a preamp (Freya) neither can utilize the phono which connects directly to the Lyr/Jot. Since you already have a preamp, I'd definitely opt for the mani instead. I'm holding off on ordering a Mani however in hopes that Mike might have a Mani 2 or Mani Uber in the works to go with the SOL.

And since you are a crackhead the Mani direct to the BHC or via Freya. Otherwise you've got to use the Lyr as a preamp for the Crack (suboptimal solution to me).

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 9:15 AM Post #41,270 of 149,393
I have the phono stage with the Jotenheim (same phono card). I don't really have much to compare it to other than the stock AT preamp inside my AT-120 (I performed a preampectomy to remove all caps from the bypass circuit). It was a great improvement over the stock preamp. I how ever wish I'd gotten the Mani. Why? Because if you use a loki or a preamp (Freya) neither can utilize the phono which connects directly to the Lyr/Jot. Since you already have a preamp, I'd definitely opt for the mani instead. I'm holding off on ordering a Mani however in hopes that Mike might have a Mani 2 or Mani Uber in the works to go with the SOL.

And since you are a crackhead the Mani direct to the BHC or via Freya. Otherwise you've got to use the Lyr as a preamp for the Crack (suboptimal solution to me).

Even though I already have a Mani, I'm also hoping there is a Mani 2 announced once Sol is officially out, that way I can keep M1 with my current TT and use M2 with Sol...

Nov 1, 2018 at 9:17 AM Post #41,271 of 149,393
I was hoping for a mani 2 as well but had to jump on the b stock sale. I’m playing with them now. I’m getting a ton of buzz through the sys running it backwards. I just took it out of the equation. I was hoping for a push button a/b test but I’m moving cables around instead.

Do you have grounds running to both the Integrated and Mani or just one of them? If you have it running to only one try going to both, if you are running to both try only going to one of them etc...

Nov 1, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #41,272 of 149,393
Nov 1, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #41,273 of 149,393
Even though I already have a Mani, I'm also hoping there is a Mani 2 announced once Sol is officially out, that way I can keep M1 with my current TT and use M2 with Sol...
Ditto. Except with my JOT or fingers crossed a Freya 2 with a Preamp card slot so I can move it myself.

Nov 1, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #41,275 of 149,393
Regarding grounds, I have a Rega turn table with no separate ground lead. The ground is in one of the phono cables. I have thought about doing the incognito rewire to fix that.

I added a custom ground cable as well when I operated on my AT-120 and connected it to my Jot Phono Ground. No issues with ground hum. I think I might order a better RCA Cable for my AT-120 from a friendly headphone enthusiast I know, drill out the plastic enclosure and install the larger wire. And I'll use a Perma-Protoboard to link up the wires better. I did the surgery before I became a lot better at soldering and DIY.

Nov 1, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #41,276 of 149,393
Nov 1, 2018 at 10:44 AM Post #41,277 of 149,393
That is just completely nifty, Tom (and Ripper).
A cool new sales tool for the custom Schiit Coaster amp!
it is just a toy but many adults seem to like it as well. The source for the Coaster amp will be a DAP that will do most any music format and yet it will be easy enough for this particular 3 year old to operate. Only the DAP will be accessible and it is housed in a pretty sturdy aluminum case. Oh and the music provided will most likely come from Disney films and be appropriate for a young listener.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #41,278 of 149,393
Very nice.

Nov 1, 2018 at 11:45 AM Post #41,279 of 149,393
it is just a toy but many adults seem to like it as well. The source for the Coaster amp will be a DAP that will do most any music format and yet it will be easy enough for this particular 3 year old to operate. Only the DAP will be accessible and it is housed in a pretty sturdy aluminum case. Oh and the music provided will most likely come from Disney films and be appropriate for a young listener.

Oh, maaaaan, no Lou Reed?

(runz)

Nov 1, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #41,280 of 149,393
Oh, maaaaan, no Lou Reed?

(runz)
Um no lol, before her first birthday my son did have her singing some Ray Charles and it was adorable. I went looking through my music collection and found some very old Disney soundtracks as well as Wizard of OZ. I may pick and choose from those.

I do like most of Lou Reed's music myself though. I use Perfect Day as a test track and it works well with this particular device so I may include that. It is relatively safe compared to Walk on the Wild Side.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back