Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 31, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #41,251 of 150,546
Loved that show, fun characters, especially Mal and Jayne.
....mmmmmmmmm..... I have to go back to my bunk for a bit. That character gave me the creeps.

Very shiny indeed.

Oct 31, 2018 at 2:33 PM Post #41,252 of 150,546
Since you have the Gumby, did you go for just a plain Lyr amp without DAC or phono input?
Yeah, at first I got an Eitr + mimby combo instead because I heard it was superior to the internal dac cards, and it did sound pretty darn good. So good, I decided (kinda impulsively) to spring for the Gumby, and holy hell this thing is on another level. Also, much more convenient with usb gen 5 than dealing with two boxes, two wall warts, and a SPDIF cable :)

I really like that shelf. That's the sort of thing I will spend 2 hours scrolling through Amazon search results (which cannot be filtered down due to lack of relevant filter criteria) looking for but not finding.
Here you go!

Nice ... just one suggestion to take stress off the headphones:
https://wooaudio.com/accessories/hps

:)
Hey, that’s a good idea! I actually had one of these stands, but the top part was actually starting to dent the head-band :frowning2:. I’m still worried about that, so decided to spring for one of these padded (albeit expensive) audioquest stands. You’re always so helpful RCBinTN, I appreciate it :)

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #41,253 of 150,546
Nice ... just one suggestion to take stress off the headphones:
https://wooaudio.com/accessories/hps

I can vouch for that stand as well. I bought the double version (HPS-T) 4 years ago when I first put together my headphone rig. The quality is phenomenal. Everything is made out of thick metal and it weighs a very solid 5 pounds. But more importantly, it is all cut and finished very well. All the pieces thread together smoothly without any give. It's not padded, but the curve at the top seems appropriate for a wide range of headbands. The height adjustability is nice too.

It is a bit pricey at $89, but I picked mine up around Black Friday for $71, and I have noticed it on sale during that time in years since. I would highly recommend it to anyone at either price. Personally, the price was further justified given that it can hold two headphones.

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:32 PM Post #41,255 of 150,546

Yeah of course! :D

Glass top and metal legs are nice, good quality, but do note the feet are noticeably worse quality (some have reported spurs/burrs on the sides, though I fortunately didn't have any).

The feet do have rubber stick-ons that don't scratch/damage the gungnir, though!

IMG_4196.JPG

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #41,256 of 150,546
They’ll return at some point... But the answer to your question is a resounding YES (it’s not just good looking, it sounds great, too)!
Thank you, with that recommendation I might just spring for a brand-new unit, rather than wait.
Hey, does anybody else think that Headphones and the accoutrement of Head-Fi could be a new addiction, or is it just me?

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:48 PM Post #41,257 of 150,546
you can't take the sky from me...[/
Thank you, with that recommendation I might just spring for a brand-new unit, rather than wait.
Hey, does anybody else think that Headphones and the accoutrement of Head-Fi could be a new addiction, or is it just me?
New for you, perhaps. The remainder of us are probably too far gone to tell...

Oct 31, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #41,258 of 150,546
New for you, perhaps. The remainder of us are probably too far gone to tell...

I know that I have Garlic and a wooden stake if I hear another person tell me I need to give vinyl a try...that is like a boat, which is a hole in the middle of the Lake you pour money into. I have more Music than I can listen to, and having to do something every twenty minutes. I like digital playlists and remote controls, so I don't move from the exact Sweetspot

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #41,259 of 150,546
Hey, that’s a good idea! I actually had one of these stands, but the top part was actually starting to dent the head-band :frowning2:. I’m still worried about that, so decided to spring for one of these padded (albeit expensive) audioquest stands. You’re always so helpful RCBinTN, I appreciate it :)

Thanks @pure5152 for your kind words.
The AQ headphone stand looks very fine, indeed. Zero stress on the headphones = a good thing.

We own (2) of the dual Woo HP stands and like them. Here's my example pic:

The Home Rig x2 with Refreshments.JPG
Oppo BDP-103 - toslink - GMB - BHA-1 - HD800 x2
Kettle One Citron & soda --------------------------- Sierra Nevada Pale Ale.
The start of a fun music session :)

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #41,260 of 150,546
The AQ headphone stand looks very fine, indeed. Zero stress on the headphones = a good thing.

We also own (2) of the dual Woo HP stands and like them. Here's my example pic:

Now that's some serious audio heaven schiit. Enjoy! :beers:

Oct 31, 2018 at 6:39 PM Post #41,261 of 150,546

Beer with a water chaser, water with a beer chaser-or drinks with a friend? :beerchug:

Oct 31, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #41,262 of 150,546

Very nice setup RCB!

Oct 31, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #41,263 of 150,546

Thank you for posting that picture. My wife now admits that I am not as audio crazy as some people.

Oct 31, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #41,264 of 150,546
Thank you for posting that picture. My wife now admits that I am not as audio crazy as some people.

HA - good one. I admit my needle swings to the crazy side.
Side - did you see the video that @HumanFly posted?

Annette and I listen together, thus we keep 2x HD800. A nice place to be.
Good luck with introducing it to your wife.
I suggest to start with BluRay DVDs ... the visual aspect helps, you know ... :)

Oct 31, 2018 at 10:22 PM Post #41,265 of 150,546
I got some Schiit in today. Tomorrow I will try to a/b the mani and the phono stage in my integrated Marantz. I hope the sys and way too many interconnects don’t color the sound enough to discredit the test. Do you guys have any suggestions on best practices with this ? I figure the sys will allow me to quickly go between the 2. After I settle on one or the other, I’ll take the sys out.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back