Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 7, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #39,571 of 151,471
From Elnrik at *somewhereelse*
CCCE9BB4-357A-4E44-B9F0-088476885721.jpeg

What Jason had to say about the button on the front:
“The button on the front of Aegir de-biases the output stage and puts the amp in a “standby” mode, yes. It takes idle power down from 200W or so to 15W or so. I think. I haven’t actually measured that for the specs yet.

But yes, we actually did something that made ergonomic sense. Please do not fall out of your chairs. I’m sure we’ll continue to screw up plenty of other things in the future.

Oh, and the LEDs are dim, since we’re using light pipes.

I’ll probably have a full chapter up on Aegir this week, after I recover from the show.”

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #39,573 of 151,471
Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 8:53 PM Post #39,575 of 151,471
Um ya, this is so stupid I don't have words.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #39,576 of 151,471
There is a mountain called the Eiger, some of you may recall the movie The Eiger Sanction years ago. That is pretty close to the pronunciation I would think. Classic Latin Caesar was prounonced more like like Kaiser, the German version of the same word, in Russia it was Czar. Things change a bit coming over to English.

Also the from the "Eiger Sanction".

Meier: "You’re very good. I have really enjoyed climbing with you."

Eastwood: "We’ll make it."

Meier: "I don’t think so, but we shall continue with style."

About 4 seconds later Meier falls to his death.... seems strangely apropos

Oct 7, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #39,577 of 151,471
I have had my hearing tested. I can’t hear a damn thing above 10k and my hearing response is “U” shaped. Loki makes more sense in my situation than a fancier amplifier would.
It is a shame to get to that point but after age fifty or so it happens to most if not all of us. I generally use dual volume controls to compensate for a slight hearing loss in one ear. It is also why I often use younger folks when possible for audio test purposes.

Oct 7, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #39,578 of 151,471
It's probably most sensible to think in terms of how much *output power* into whatever given load impedance 4, 6, 8 ohms, etc an amplifier will produce and still remain in Class-A. At whatever point the individual tube/s or transistor/s comprising the power output stage begin to turn-off for a portion of each 360 degree wave cycle, then that amplifier stage has transitioned out of Class-A operation.

Another interesting fact: the tube/s or transistor/s comprising a Class-A amplification stage actually dissipate the most power, and therefore generate the most heat, when the amp is at a zero signal condition. So yeah, when no music is playing, the amplification devices are running hottest! As the level of the audio (music) being amplified is increased, in tandem, progressively less power is being dissipated within the Class-A output tube/s or Transistor/s and proportionally this power is transfered to the load (loudspeaker). So, a Class-A amp actually runs a cooler as the output level is progressively cranked-up towards maximum rated output (volume/SPL)!

There are various clever 'sliding bias' and/or bias servo schemes that some manufacturers have implemented in an effort to increase the range/ wattage of an amplifier's Class-A output without causing the amplifier to exceed it's static dissipation ratings (aka: burn up!) but only varying degrees of success and various real caveats are attendant with such approaches.

Regarding the questions about the BA-3 amplifiers you mention: I simply don't have knowledge of the circuit/design of this amplifier, and so apologize I cannot answer your question. If I had time today to take a glance at it I would, but unfortunately I do not. Sorry about that.

@TomSix thank you for the quick response. I appreciate your help and your experience.

Oct 7, 2018 at 9:40 PM Post #39,579 of 151,471
Also the from the "Eiger Sanction".

Meier: "You’re very good. I have really enjoyed climbing with you."

Eastwood: "We’ll make it."

Meier: "I don’t think so, but we shall continue with style."

About 4 seconds later Meier falls to his death.... seems strangely apropos

I will have to re-watch that movie sometime, it has been ages. George Kennedy was in a few Eastwood films, the same way Ned Beatty was with Burt Reynolds films. Deliverance etc.

Oct 7, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #39,580 of 151,471
Someone help me out here because I really don't know and I want to.

Why is a 20w stereo amp exciting? Seems like sothat would power some small bookshelf speaker and that's about it.

I'm seriously asking because I don't know. 20 watts sounds relatively tiny considering my current speakers are rated for 150.

There are horn speakers that would make you cry no mas in pain with that sort of power turned up to max in a medium sized room. In 76' that stereo shop in Wellsley, MA drove me deep into the chair running Stanley Clarkes first solo LP running a pair of K-horns with the first Mark Levinson pre-amp.

Amp wattage over time has taken on the same growth curve that auto horsepower has. You can buy a Dodge (or Chrysler perhaps) that test out at over 500 HP, but it can't really do corners, nor can you push it on any street in the US except in the Mountain West past 20% of its capacity. The Phase Linear 700 was 350 a channel. Big deal, didn't sound good.

Some of the best amps I've owned were smallish - Pass Aleph 3 & 5, Bedini 25/25, Dyna Mk VI, and yeah a current box - Ragnarok. Personally I've never heard an amp over 200 wpc that I liked better than smaller members of the same family.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #39,581 of 151,471
@TomSix thank you for the quick response. I appreciate your help and your experience.

Capt, you have a few Class A amps, how are you liking them compared to other amps you might own?

Oct 7, 2018 at 9:46 PM Post #39,582 of 151,471
I will have to re-watch that movie sometime, it has been ages. George Kennedy was in a few Eastwood films, the same way Ned Beatty was with Burt Reynolds films. Deliverance etc.

Yeah old 'sweeee'...

Kennedy is great in that 'Thunderbolt and Lightfoot' from the same era. "If I hit you square, you'd be dead now..."

Oct 7, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #39,583 of 151,471
Yeah old 'sweeee'...

Kennedy is great in that 'Thunderbolt and Lightfoot' from the same era. "If I hit you square, you'd be dead now..."
A young Jeff Bridges in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot as well. Another film I do not mind seeing on occasion.

Oct 7, 2018 at 10:05 PM Post #39,584 of 151,471
Yup Class A runs hot. Unless there are electrical storms or a power failure my stuff is pluged in an on. Hurts the AC bill in the summer, but a great if not nasty hot foot warmer in the winter!

The Bedini 25/25 was the hottest, inside the cabinet it was 170F - way short of heat sinking, mostly the cabinet was the heat sink. I sold that within a month, scared me, plus it had this odd double mono sound.

Oct 7, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #39,585 of 151,471
A young Jeff Bridges in Thunderbolt and Lightfoot as well. Another film I do not mind seeing on occasion.

Yeah, Bridges is good and doomed. If you want to see a great movie try 'Cutter and Bone' AKA 'Cutter's Way' with JB, John Heard, and Lisa Eichorn.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back