1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. audio philestine
    [anxiously awaiting RMAF news, and realizing it's still OMG early in the Rockies...]

2. the finisher
    Focal does not think this, my 3k a pair monitors use a 100 watt A/B amp for the tweeters, and a 150 watt class D for the woofer.
    It doesn't sound like crap, trust me.

However, the passive KEF LS50 driven by a class A/B amp with similar power may sound a bit sweeter.

I love em both, and again am on the fence.

3. FrivolsListener
    I won't be there tonight, which is a shame because I work only a couple blocks away.

I will be there tomorrow. Pictures will be early-cell-phone quality, but I'll try to get them up by Sunday.

ScubaMan2017, RCBinTN, Rensek and 4 others like this.
  4. FrivolsListener
    Jason said that a matched Class D + integrated speaker can be made to sound okay.

I've heard Class D in the wild, and my assessment, like Mike said, was also that it sounds like a$$.

If it's improved, good! Great! But that remains to be seen.

I don't usually get into "ideology wars" about amp topology, but my experience was more an exposure to a "high end" amp at an audio store that sounded really bad, and I looked at it in horror and found out only afterwards that it was Class D.

Other exposure to Class D was at RMAFs past. When their statement speaker display is all filled with digital hash, I'm'a pass.

TomSix, US Blues and CAPT Deadpool like this.
  5. riffrafff
    I'm at work, so can't really listen to that video interview again, but Jason was saying that these faster junctions (beryllium, maybe? I think it started with the letter B) may be the key to better-sounding class D amps. Given how class-D works, that makes sense.

the finisher likes this.
  6. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Let's say the A to Continuity (A2C) amp is the new way Schiit goes.
    It would still be a hell of a job to level, let alone improve on, the SQ of Ragnarok and Vidar.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  7. FrivolsListener
    I'm sure we'll see your beloved Sol, but that won't be a surprise.

The Continuity amp will be a mild surprise, but Jason has talked about it.

What third shoe might drop? Maybe the digital folks have a bombshell, or have another Gadget prototype.

8. JohnnyCanuck
    Or...

It could finally be the introduction of the REDACTED.

JC

DougD likes this.
  9. KoshNaranek
    Gallium Arsenide. They switch in the GHz range and should have unnoticeable switching noise(It may affect your WiFi if not shielded).

Baldr, earnmyturns, TheNidz and 2 others like this.
  10. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Stir a few of those trough the pudin and you could kill someone.

RCBinTN and US Blues like this.
  11. barondla
    Think class D would be tough anywhere near a Mani/Modi price range. Jason & Mike haven't heard class D they like at any price. To expect them to be happy with class D at their entry level pricing seems unrealistic for a first product. Jason might consider it a victory to make class D sound great at any price. Then Schiit could do their magic on reducing price.

12. CAPT Deadpool
    Hmm :thinking: Would Schiit use anything that has Arse in the name? After all Mike is prone to saying things sound like A$$.:smile_cat:

13. the finisher

You kinda took my post as a whole out of context. I have personally never owned a class D amp that wasn't a subwoofer amp before.
    But until you hear these monitors on a desk I'd say your opinion of them is meaningless.

I would suppose Focal chose Class A/B for the beryllium tweeter, and the Class D for the woofer for a reason.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Paladin79 likes this.
  14. Ninhalem
    I did email Schiit Info about this yesterday morning but haven't heard back yet, so I thought I would try here: does Schiit ship to Puerto Rico via USPS? I did not see an option in the shipping form to PR when trying to order yesterday and I know USPS usually ships in two to three days to Puerto Rico on a regular basis.

Thanks.

15. FrivolsListener
    The point was, they matched the Class D to the woofer. A woofer isn't going to pass high frequency digital hash.

But then, I wouldn't buy a subwoofer that wasn't part of a matched system. I'd rather buy speakers that cover that range as part of their design.