Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 5, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #39,241 of 151,086
Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #39,243 of 151,086
Now, if your opinion is that Class D is terrible in all cases all the time, then I can see how what I suggested is heretical.

Focal does not think this, my 3k a pair monitors use a 100 watt A/B amp for the tweeters, and a 150 watt class D for the woofer.
It doesn't sound like crap, trust me.

However, the passive KEF LS50 driven by a class A/B amp with similar power may sound a bit sweeter.

I love em both, and again am on the fence.

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #39,244 of 151,086
[anxiously awaiting RMAF news, and realizing it's still OMG early in the Rockies...]

I won't be there tonight, which is a shame because I work only a couple blocks away.

I will be there tomorrow. Pictures will be early-cell-phone quality, but I'll try to get them up by Sunday.

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #39,245 of 151,086
Focal does not think this, my 3k a pair monitors use a 100 watt A/B amp for the tweeters, and a 150 watt class D for the woofer.
It doesn't sound like crap, trust me.

Jason said that a matched Class D + integrated speaker can be made to sound okay.

I've heard Class D in the wild, and my assessment, like Mike said, was also that it sounds like a$$.

If it's improved, good! Great! But that remains to be seen.

I don't usually get into "ideology wars" about amp topology, but my experience was more an exposure to a "high end" amp at an audio store that sounded really bad, and I looked at it in horror and found out only afterwards that it was Class D.

Other exposure to Class D was at RMAFs past. When their statement speaker display is all filled with digital hash, I'm'a pass.

Oct 5, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #39,246 of 151,086
I'm at work, so can't really listen to that video interview again, but Jason was saying that these faster junctions (beryllium, maybe? I think it started with the letter B) may be the key to better-sounding class D amps. Given how class-D works, that makes sense.

Oct 5, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #39,248 of 151,086
Let's say the A to Continuity (A2C) amp is the new way Schiit goes.
It would still be a hell of a job to level, let alone improve on, the SQ of Ragnarok and Vidar.

I'm sure we'll see your beloved Sol, but that won't be a surprise.

The Continuity amp will be a mild surprise, but Jason has talked about it.

What third shoe might drop? Maybe the digital folks have a bombshell, or have another Gadget prototype.

Oct 5, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #39,250 of 151,086
I'm at work, so can't really listen to that video interview again, but Jason was saying that these faster junctions (beryllium, maybe? I think it started with the letter B) may be the key to better-sounding class D amps. Given how class-D works, that makes sense.
Gallium Arsenide. They switch in the GHz range and should have unnoticeable switching noise(It may affect your WiFi if not shielded).

Oct 5, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #39,252 of 151,086
Think class D would be tough anywhere near a Mani/Modi price range. Jason & Mike haven't heard class D they like at any price. To expect them to be happy with class D at their entry level pricing seems unrealistic for a first product. Jason might consider it a victory to make class D sound great at any price. Then Schiit could do their magic on reducing price.

Oct 5, 2018 at 10:29 AM Post #39,253 of 151,086
Gallium Arsenide. They switch in the GHz range and should have unnoticeable switching noise(It may affect your WiFi if not shielded).

Hmm :thinking: Would Schiit use anything that has Arse in the name? After all Mike is prone to saying things sound like A$$.:smile_cat:

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #39,254 of 151,086
Jason said that a matched Class D + integrated speaker can be made to sound okay.

I've heard Class D in the wild, and my assessment, like Mike said, was also that it sounds like a$$.

If it's improved, good! Great! But that remains to be seen.

I don't usually get into "ideology wars" about amp topology, but my experience was more an exposure to a "high end" amp at an audio store that sounded really bad, and I looked at it in horror and found out only afterwards that it was Class D.

Other exposure to Class D was at RMAFs past. When their statement speaker display is all filled with digital hash, I'm'a pass.

You kinda took my post as a whole out of context. I have personally never owned a class D amp that wasn't a subwoofer amp before.
But until you hear these monitors on a desk I'd say your opinion of them is meaningless.

I would suppose Focal chose Class A/B for the beryllium tweeter, and the Class D for the woofer for a reason.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #39,255 of 151,086
I did email Schiit Info about this yesterday morning but haven't heard back yet, so I thought I would try here: does Schiit ship to Puerto Rico via USPS? I did not see an option in the shipping form to PR when trying to order yesterday and I know USPS usually ships in two to three days to Puerto Rico on a regular basis.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back