Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 5, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #39,256 of 145,767
You kinda took my post as a whole out of context. I have personally never owned a class D amp that wasn't a subwoofer amp before.
But until you hear these monitors on a desk I'd say your opinion of them is meaningless.

I would suppose Focal chose Class A/B for the beryllium tweeter, and the Class D for the woofer for a reason.

The point was, they matched the Class D to the woofer. A woofer isn't going to pass high frequency digital hash.

But then, I wouldn't buy a subwoofer that wasn't part of a matched system. I'd rather buy speakers that cover that range as part of their design.

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #39,258 of 145,767
I did email Schiit Info about this yesterday morning but haven't heard back yet, so I thought I would try here: does Schiit ship to Puerto Rico via USPS? I did not see an option in the shipping form to PR when trying to order yesterday and I know USPS usually ships in two to three days to Puerto Rico on a regular basis.

Thanks.

I imagine Schiit is tied up in knots over RMAF right now.

Oct 5, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #39,259 of 145,767
The point was, they matched the Class D to the woofer. A woofer isn't going to pass high frequency digital hash.

But then, I wouldn't buy a subwoofer that wasn't part of a matched system. I'd rather buy speakers that cover that range as part of their design.

They actually do, and use Class D. I don't have the jing for 2 of them so...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Sub6Red--focal-sub6-11-inch-powered-studio-subwoofer

Also you still have to marry these with your monitors the same way I have with mine.
Mine just aren't as good.

How are you going to fit a speaker on a desk that play down to -20hz?

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #39,260 of 145,767
Oct 5, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #39,261 of 145,767
Magni probably is their answer to affordable class D. Given that class D amps live and die by their power supplies at these price points I doubt a class D implementation could match or beat the Magni anyway.

Honestly part of the problem with class D is the word itself. There is a lot of variation in the products that all get grouped under the banner of "class D" and the same generalizations don't necessarily apply to all of them.

I really like the sound of well implemented Tripath designs myself. I took that to mean once upon a time that I liked the sound of class D. Turns out I actually dislike most class D amps I hear, it was just something about Tripath in particular that worked for me. A lot of people probably experience one particular type and then apply the experience to the whole category. If your first class D amp experience is a 1st generation ICE amp for example I can definitely see that person forming a strongly negative opinion about class D. There are class D amps that sound very different from ICE power though, and that person many not know that.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #39,262 of 145,767
You kinda took my post as a whole out of context. I have personally never owned a class D amp that wasn't a subwoofer amp before.
But until you hear these monitors on a desk I'd say your opinion of them is meaningless.

I would suppose Focal chose Class A/B for the beryllium tweeter, and the Class D for the woofer for a reason.

Class D has come a long way in the last few years. Dynaudio uses Class D amps in all of their active speakers. I've got a couple pair of the older ones (BM Compact mk III and BM 5 mk III) The BM 5's are used for the back channels in my 7.2 setup and the BM Compacts are being run through my Modi 2 uber/Vali 2 in my small workshop and I have to say they sound amazingly well...

The new Dynaudio Focus XD's have newer technology and they are quite phenomenal, if I was looking for an all in one setup I'd definitely have a set of those!

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #39,263 of 145,767
Class D has come a long way in the last few years. Dynaudio uses Class D amps in all of their active speakers. I've got a couple pair of the older ones (BM Compact mk III and BM 5 mk III) The BM 5's are used for the back channels in my 7.2 setup and the BM Compacts are being run through my Modi 2 uber/Vali 2 in my small workshop and I have to say they sound amazingly well...

The new Dynaudio Focus XD's have newer technology and they are quite phenomenal, if I was looking for an all in one setup I'd definitely have a set of those!

The last system I listened to was a "statement system" by two vendors at last year's RMAF.

I'll look around and see what's there tomorrow. I don't go into the rarefied air of house-priced systems, though.

Oct 5, 2018 at 12:51 PM Post #39,265 of 145,767
I won't be there tonight, which is a shame because I work only a couple blocks away.

I will be there tomorrow. Pictures will be early-cell-phone quality, but I'll try to get them up by Sunday.
Life has gotten in the way of my plan at RMAF. I was going today but need to go 3 hrs. east to the border with Kansas for football. Not back til after 6pm Saturday. Trying for Sunday! Looking forward to @FrivolsListener pictures.

Oct 5, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #39,270 of 145,767
That's why I don't take up precious desk space with speakers.

Two different worlds I guess, not my desk, but this is kinda what I'm going for.
I don't have huge rooms in my house, bigger than this at least.

I'm also am working on a regular 2 channel setup, for a more laid back experience.

Home studio.PNG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back