1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up

Discussion in 'Jason Stoddard' started by jason stoddard, Jan 23, 2014.
  1. yonson
    My 3 are dead silent...

2. FrivolsListener
    Meh, I bet Mike isn't even awake yet. Jason is definitely in the speaker room display, fussing over the display.

Although, I could see him dinking around at CanJam, but that's where Mike was last year -- the Gadget was on display.

3. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Those are the transformers for sure.
    However there's a big chance a better AC supply can change it.
    Try listening for it in the middle of the night when the unwashed are in bed and do not use the grit.

US Blues and the finisher like this.
  4. Nicholas Seltzer
    I'm sorry I don't understand what you're saying. Grit? How can I change my AC power supply?

5. madwolfa
    Try a different power outlet perhaps.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  6. the finisher
  7. FrivolsListener
    He means noisy power. All the electrical hash that comes from vacuum cleaners, blenders, and other nasty loads on the mains power.

IIRC, Jason said that a couple early prototype transformers were noisy -- I'm wondering how well his transformer supplier solved that problem.

8. alreadyused
    Grid, as in electrical grid.

9. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    Ah yes grid.
    Sorry.
    Grits are a mixture of corn, glue and manure.

sam6550a, US Blues and Deke609 like this.
  10. Nicholas Seltzer
    Interesting. I ordered my Vidars pretty much as soon as they were released. They've never been particularly quiet. I just noticed the buzzing last night when I put my ear up to it. I moved things around a bit. Perhaps it got worse?

11. dieslemat
    Anyone at RMAF yet who had visted Schiit room? Very eager to know if there’s a new Continuity/Class A amp prototype

the finisher and Rensek like this.
  12. Pietro Cozzi Tinin
    In my experience if the hum/buzz is audible in the speakers too (and not only in the appareil itself with your ear on it) a cleaner power-supply might do the trick.
    You can't un-ring a bell so action is necessary.
    Otherwise there's only medication.

Juan_R and US Blues like this.
  13. TheNidz
    Technics have used some gallium-based components, I believe.
    (I think they use gallium nitride / GaN )

14. FrivolsListener
    It's been open for 18 minutes and you already want to know? :)

RMAF is pretty big. First you have to find them! In the past, they've had a major speaker room that they share with an online vendor of speakers, some minor displays in other rooms dominated by other vendors, and about 3 tables worth of stuff in CanJam.

15. winders
    I don't see any Southerners here on Head Fi denigrating your food....you might want to extend the same courtesy.

Byronb likes this.