Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 31, 2018 at 11:16 AM Post #35,853 of 150,789
Ah... give some space from your bedroom to the listening room and buy bunk beds.

Space we have! One of the benefits of moving form California to North Carolina (plus grandkids!). Most folks downsize as the kids depart, we did the opposite. So we each now have an office, a home theater (upstairs) and our bedroom is large - it will benefit from the ELACs being freed up form the living room where they have held the fort for a month.

Our listening room is about 32' x 20' so I think sufficient.

Cheers

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #35,854 of 150,789
ELACs and NC? We are truly brothers from a different mother! :wink:

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #35,855 of 150,789
Sorry, no Schiit stack in this picture (the Schiit is all in my office, at the moment). Latest version of my main system taken this morning while I was playing around with my new Osmo 2 gimbal

I love the sound of Tannoy monitors. Congrats.

Jul 31, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #35,858 of 150,789
What's not to like? I also spent most of my career in IT. I came over to Silicon Valley in the 90s to manage the UNIX program after the Novell deabcle.

Small world. I started my technical career in IT with Novell Netware 1.0 and became one of the 1st Certified Netware Engineers in Texas (maybe US) testing out 3 days after the CNE certification program was introduced. Netware was king -- especially after introducing directory services in 4.XX. Another classic example of a company with a technologically superior product being out marketed by a marketing company -- Microsoft. They never stood a chance. :frowning2:

Note: My first exposure to Unix was in the 80's with AT&T Unix running MS LanManager -- essentially an early NT Server OS running on top of Unix.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #35,859 of 150,789
What's not to like? I also spent most of my career in IT. I came over to Silicon Valley in the 90s to manage the UNIX program after the Novell deabcle.

Interesting. UNIX/Linux mgr/architect/tools - retired, thinking about moving to the Brevard/Hendersonville area. Have Schitt, will travel... the impact of the Courts deciding a brower is the same as an OS will reverberate through time. UNIX >>>>> M$

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #35,860 of 150,789
Ooooooh. Tannoys!!

I assume there was a fish-eye or wide-angle lens involved in taking the picture? Something just looks fishy about it. :wink:

Now this is fishy; 30 pounds, 4 ounces, 42" long, caught off the south wall Port Washinton, WI, summer 2004
upload_2018-7-31_11-48-17.jpeg

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 12:00 PM Post #35,861 of 150,789
How can one even begin to argue that? :smirk:

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #35,862 of 150,789
Yes, we are far from done! There is a debate about where the Frya/Vidar should go. Also I suspect that the speakers position will "evolve". When locations are settled, I expect to hide all wires. We are on wooden fllors, so I'm looking for a flush mount floor speker terminal system that will - ultimitely - deal with speakers. There is a built-in cabinet that could house all the junk with the Freya/Vidar on the outside shelf that has wire outlets into the crawl space, so that's the alternative. I'll also change out the Raspberry Pi with an IQAudio HAT with SE outputs for the HiFerryBerry, even thoug I'm less than enamoured of the xlr connector mountings on the latter. I may end up sticking with the exisiting PiIQ which I like an persoms well.

Progress!

:)

Best of all you have plenty of room for an Yggy. Your DAC has to match the rest of your kit. :smile_cat:

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:19 PM Post #35,863 of 150,789
Interesting. UNIX/Linux mgr/architect/tools - retired, thinking about moving to the Brevard/Hendersonville area. Have Schitt, will travel... the impact of the Courts deciding a brower is the same as an OS will reverberate through time. UNIX >>>>> M$

I was with X/Open in Europe and my first day of US employment was the day X/OPen and OSF merged - March 1st, 1996! Played around the open systems and architecture world for a long time: I did the first project that, ultimately, led to TOGAF (though I'm a business guy, not a techy) and recently did a consulting gig around IT4IT. Some cool stuff going on out there.

On the move, we are liking NC despite the fact there are insects here the size of small airliners, and the humidity!

Cheers

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #35,864 of 150,789
Best of all you have plenty of room for an Yggy. Your DAC has to match the rest of your kit. :smile_cat:

Ya know, you have to count me in the unconvinced column. I'm really enjoying this new fetish (or more accurately, reborn in a different form), but one of the things that appeals about the Schiit philosophy is the lack of adoration of sacred cows.

I can't ever see me bringing myslef to enter into the cable debate, for example. DACs pretty much sit there too, though to a lesser degree. As you will see elsewher, I'm using Raspberry Pi / IQAudio /HiFiBerry / Dietpi DACs and I find it hard to see a DRAMATIC improvement over them. At least for now, I'm satisfied with that setup. We'll see how that progresses!

Cheers

Jul 31, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #35,865 of 150,789
OK, so let's make a bit more palatable --- Gumby. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back