Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 31, 2018 at 2:49 PM Post #35,881 of 149,074
You folks are into BBQ as well? My wife and I have had 4 trips to the SE looking for all the BBQ we could find. Low and slow and rubs, and bark at the end, so true. Memphis area was probably our favorite - Interstate #1.
This is what I actually used once at the CES in Las Vegas. But I will admit it was over 14AWG zip cord.

No.... everyone knows red cable has an emphasis at 3k and a 8.7k... use 2 gauge aluminum litz strand that they use in old main frames - say it's .99999 silver, put a serious jacket on it, and terminate with vampire gold plate over OFC cooper spades that take 2 ga, say it's $900 a ft.... now you're cooking...

Wow, u folks are into BBQ as well? My family and I have taken 4 trips to the SE over the last 7-8 years, both to find the best BBQ, and to learn how to cook it. We liked the Memphis area over towards Decatur Alabama the best.

I cook pulled pork using pork butt (cooked in water), ribs, brisket - dry rub, low and slow, bark it at the end.. Yea... got a great 3 bean recipe out of the BBQ Bible that's worth a try too.

Jul 31, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #35,882 of 149,074
Speaker cables are easy to build, you can use the star quad to bi-wire but i know some folks prefer solid wire for the lower frequencies and I can understand the logic. I am starting to deal more with power amps and speakers once again so it is always fun to experiment with bi-wire combinations.

Jul 31, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #35,883 of 149,074
Speaker cables are easy to build, you can use the star quad to bi-wire but i know some folks prefer solid wire for the lower frequencies and I can understand the logic. I am starting to deal more with power amps and speakers once again so it is always fun to experiment with bi-wire combinations.

Or combine all 4 and have an 8 AWG wire...

Jul 31, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #35,884 of 149,074
I absolutely do not what to contribute to this becoming a cable and wire debate, but my time at THX taught me one thing: the old saying that "bi-wire = buy more wire" is generally true.

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #35,887 of 149,074
Ya know, you have to count me in the unconvinced column. I'm really enjoying this new fetish (or more accurately, reborn in a different form), but one of the things that appeals about the Schiit philosophy is the lack of adoration of sacred cows.

I can't ever see me bringing myslef to enter into the cable debate, for example. DACs pretty much sit there too, though to a lesser degree. As you will see elsewher, I'm using Raspberry Pi / IQAudio /HiFiBerry / Dietpi DACs and I find it hard to see a DRAMATIC improvement over them. At least for now, I'm satisfied with that setup. We'll see how that progresses!

Cheers

The best advice I can offer on Schiit DACs is - try to hear one for yourself, at a headphone meet.
I suspect you will be impressed. :)

There was quite a large HP meet taking place in Atlanta - not too far from NC - let's see if it is still around...
Hey there @MattTCG are y'all still organizing CanLanta meets? Do you have a meet scheduled for 2018?
Thanks, pal.

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #35,888 of 149,074
Will say I use a Raspberry Pi with a HifiBerry Digi to a Mimby and it sounds quite good using the coax connection.
I use a Raspberry Pi, moode audio player and USB going into a Bimby Gen 5 USB. It sounds as good or maybe a bit better the another Pi with the same player and a Hifiberry Digi+ Pro using the coax SPDIF connection.

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:34 PM Post #35,889 of 149,074
The best advice I can offer on Schiit DACs is - try to hear one for yourself, at a headphone meet.
I suspect you will be impressed. :)

We did do a Schiitr visit to audition gear and the DACs are good I have to admit. We checked out the Yggy (with input from the portotype Sol, so there) and decided that, for us the Freya/Vidar was the solution.

That experiecne also confirmed that I won't go back to vinyl, though they have some NICE albums in the Schiitr. Very Nice. (and some crap CDs - sorry Wagner, the Gotterdamerung recording needs to be ditched......)

I'm always happy to be persuaded otherwise, so will head to any meetups within reach.

Cheers

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:38 PM Post #35,890 of 149,074
We did do a Schiitr visit to audition gear and the DACs are good I have to admit. We checked out the Yggy (with input from the portotype Sol, so there) and decided that, for us the Freya/Vidar was the solution.

That experiecne also confirmed that I won't go back to vinyl, though they have some NICE albums in the Schiitr. Very Nice. (and some crap CDs - sorry Wagner, the Gotterdamerung recording needs to be ditched......)

I'm always happy to be persuaded otherwise, so will head to any meetups within reach.

Cheers
Sol -> Yggy 2

How does that work a turntable into a digital-to-analog converter (DAC)?
I may have misread that or something.

Jul 31, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #35,891 of 149,074
Jul 31, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #35,892 of 149,074
I absolutely do not what to contribute to this becoming a cable and wire debate, but my time at THX taught me one thing: the old saying that "bi-wire = buy more wire" is generally true.
For me has been true so far. Never tried solid core cables but also seems worth a try. The story of Vovox cables also seems nice but i doubt it is worth the money. Once they demonstrated a cable that went around a lake that gave a signal to a gitar amp...funny cable stuff

Jul 31, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #35,893 of 149,074
Sol -> Yggy 2

How does that work a turntable into a digital-to-analog converter (DAC)?
I may have misread that or something.
Was thinking the same or he forgot to mention that jil and mani were in between

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 5:11 PM Post #35,894 of 149,074
How do you keep it fresh?
With ice ice baby from vanila ice. Grreeaatt music.....not e

Why do i think of that song.... youth memories are very strong, hope i had a good time then

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2018 at 5:19 PM Post #35,895 of 149,074
I am travelling now without my fulla2. Pretty good directly from my ipad but i miss the improvement fulla gives me on my veclan asura earbuds..wow they produce wonderful mid frequencies

Users who are viewing this thread

Back