Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 11, 2018 at 7:28 PM Post #34,877 of 150,830
Get some very very quiet tubes if you want to go with speakers that high in sensitivity otherwise you may have lots of background noise .

Finding very quiet tubes can sometimes be challenging .

The stock tubes may not be quiet and aren’t very good anyway.
Hmmm i doubt if you hear that when playing Station to Station by David Bowie. I got 85dB speakers with PRO dac/monitor control before solid state and also got a little hum or sshhh but that is inaudible on the moment i push play

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #34,879 of 150,830
Hmmm i doubt if you hear that when playing Station to Station by David Bowie. I got 85dB speakers with PRO dac/monitor control before solid state and also got a little hum or sshhh but that is inaudible on the moment i push play[/QUO

Yeah depends on what you are playing . Quiet passages you may not be too happy with . Using LISST tubes won’t be a problem

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #34,881 of 150,830
But why? What is your thinking? I just want to understand. For me the load of vidar to the speakers is important but the freya before should have minimal impact especially because you can select preamp type

Well I did consult at both the Schiitr and with Erik at Tekton. Each confirmed that they have worked with the other and didn't see any problems. Hence the in-room listening tests.

Does anyone have DIRECT experience (bad or otherwise) of this combo? I did order the Freya with all the tube options, so we shall see. I certianly loved the Freya/Vidar in the Schiitr, though they didn't have the DIs.

Cheers

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #34,882 of 150,830
Please see my signature. I don't have Tekton DI, but my Spatials are efficient. As Winders said, the Freya/Vidar is very good with efficient speakers, but the key is good tubes. Schiit stock tubes are garbage. Put in good NOS tubes and you are golden. I don't have any hiss unless I am an inch or two away from the speaker with nothing playing. It is a non-factor.

Jul 11, 2018 at 8:01 PM Post #34,883 of 150,830
Jul 11, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #34,884 of 150,830
See the correct spelling in Winder's signature. A google search will give you the website.

Jul 11, 2018 at 8:06 PM Post #34,885 of 150,830
Well I did consult at both the Schiitr and with Erik at Tekton. Each confirmed that they have worked with the other and didn't see any problems. Hence the in-room listening tests.

Does anyone have DIRECT experience (bad or otherwise) of this combo? I did order the Freya with all the tube options, so we shall see. I certianly loved the Freya/Vidar in the Schiitr, though they didn't have the DIs.

Cheers
I heard the Frey, Vidar combo with Salk Song3-A at AXPONA and it was amazing.
Not sure what tubes were used.

Mike

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #34,887 of 150,830
Please see my signature. I don't have Tekton DI, but my Spatials are efficient. As Winders said, the Freya/Vidar is very good with efficient speakers, but the key is good tubes. Schiit stock tubes are garbage. Put in good NOS tubes and you are golden. I don't have any hiss unless I am an inch or two away from the speaker with nothing playing. It is a non-factor.

Interested in tube recommendations. This tube stuff is all new to me, I am really am starting from scratch.

All inputs most welcome!

Cheers

Jul 11, 2018 at 8:31 PM Post #34,888 of 150,830
Deleted: Sorry. Don't want to derail this thread ...

I'll let someone else do it. :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #34,889 of 150,830
Whistler is a mixed bag. On the + side, lots of great terrain. On the - side, fickle weather (low elevation maritime), very expensive, very crowded. If you want BC pow, interior BC ski areas are better pow for the buck. And then, for a truly exotic experience with great powder, nothing like Hokkaido. PM me for more details on both destinations if intrigued.
Would you consider Rossland, BC or the slopes in The Okanagan? Lake Louise, if you can tollerate a Federal park is an option too. Or, you can hop across the border to Mount Baker....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back