Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 11, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #34,848 of 151,525
I know, also much too expensive
A point of thought.
Do you think the engineers who built your speakers had a similar setup?
I'm always "afraid" to "improve" on something that is engineered on at the conception of a product.
We all know when over-engineering "has to" result in a better sound because it did cost us a lot of money.

Jul 11, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #34,849 of 151,525
Until one gets an opportunity to listen A versus B who knows if it's better or not.
If the concept has merit (in actual listening situations) I'd expect someone to come along at some point and build a comparably effective solution at a better price.
(Kind of what "Schiit" is all about).

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:09 PM Post #34,852 of 151,525
I wish that claim about eliminating the background murmur of the earth was evident in the seismographs, but they look the same to me outside of the stomping/tapping interactions.
I'm mostly interested in their claims of preventing waves through and off the floor, if true. Stands to reason that those waves, being slightly off-time, out-of-phase, or whatever might muddy up the original material. I also think I can come up with something similar to their concept for a whole lot less cash.

Jul 11, 2018 at 1:28 PM Post #34,854 of 151,525
Jul 11, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #34,856 of 151,525
Jul 11, 2018 at 2:27 PM Post #34,857 of 151,525
Jul 11, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #34,858 of 151,525
So I finally broke down and emailed Schiit about the Freya I ordered six weeks ago. Turns out my hunch was correct: they will not partially ship an order. Because I added it to the same cart I had my Yggrasil upgrades in it won't ship until my upgrade is performed. Considering that the Freya is the only physical shippable item in the entire order, it seems a bit odd to me that it has to sit and wait until I receive an RMA for the Yggy upgrade, but I guess the process is what it is. No doubt it's a limitation of their current ordering process software or something along those lines.

The moral of the story is: if you're sending your DAC in for upgrades and have other purchases to make it's better to place them as separate orders.

Jul 11, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #34,859 of 151,525
So I finally broke down and emailed Schiit about the Freya I ordered six weeks ago. Turns out my hunch was correct: they will not partially ship an order. Because I added it to the same cart I had my Yggrasil upgrades in it won't ship until my upgrade is performed. Considering that the Freya is the only physical shippable item in the entire order, it seems a bit odd to me that it has to sit and wait until I receive an RMA for the Yggy upgrade, but I guess the process is what it is. No doubt it's a limitation of their current ordering process software or something along those lines.

The moral of the story is: if you're sending your DAC in for upgrades and have other purchases to make it's better to place them as separate orders.

Yup, my Frey (and Vidar) shipped this week. Two days before my credit card close date :frowning2:(

I was expecting a slightly longer lead time.

Now to order the Double Impacts!

Jul 11, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #34,860 of 151,525
A cost effective way to minimize speaker movement is to use Isoacoustic's GAIA isolation feet: http://www.isoacoustics.com/products/gaia-series/ . I added them to my Spatial speakers. An undeniable improvement to the sound clarity. It tightened the bass, because it prevents sound transmission loss into the floor. I strongly recommend them. Crutchfield has add on carpet spikes, so you can use them with any surface. Isoacoustics also has speaker and gear isolation platforms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back