Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 11, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #34,862 of 149,120
An overly generalized answer would be they are in Class A for the first few watts typically. Exactly how many watts depends upon the biasing and design particulars. Very few manufacturers explicitly state how many watts you get in class A operation for their amps.

The upshot is, unless you listen loudly, the first few watts is usually all you are using anyway. This is one of the major arguments *against* a pure class A amp. For most users there is not a significant difference. It's seen by some people as merely more wasteful without tangible benefit for most use scenarios. It depends upon your speakers too of course, amongst other factors.

This isn't my personal opinion btw. I'd setup a system around a low power pure class A amp in a heartbeat. :)

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #34,866 of 149,120
I treated myself to a new toy today, one of these bad boys:
www.amazon.co.uk/Etekcity-Lasergrip-Non-contact-Thermometer-58°F-1022°F/dp/B01AT9TON0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1531346651&sr=8-3&keywords=laser+thermometer

I presume most of you gadget heads have had one of these for years I'm in just catching up with you.

It measures the ambient room temperature to within 0.5•C of my room thermometer so is a good reference. It puts the top of the chassis of my Yggy2 at 34•C and Jot at 36•C, which is 10•C and 12•C above my current ambient room temperature, respectively.

We've been experiencing our strongest heatwave here in Glasgow since 1976 which was 10yrs before I was born, and my room thermometer has been pegged around 25•C for the past three weeks, which feels incredibly strange as my room rarely gets above 21•C and is more usually in the high teens at this time of year. In fact it's been so hot I've had to ration my usage of entertainment as I'm pretty sure that having all my amps plus my plasma TV on at the same time would take me into Sahara temperature territory! :wink:

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #34,867 of 149,120
An overly generalized answer would be they are in Class A for the first few watts typically. Exactly how many watts depends upon the biasing and design particulars. Very few manufacturers explicitly state how many watts you get in class A operation for their amps.

The upshot is, unless you listen loudly, the first few watts is usually all you are using anyway. This is one of the major arguments *against* a pure class A amp. For most users there is not a significant difference. It's seen by some people as merely more wasteful without tangible benefit for most use scenarios. It depends upon your speakers too of course, amongst other factors.

This isn't my personal opinion btw. I'd setup a system around a low power pure class A amp in a heartbeat. :)

I am working on my class a monoblocks, ten watts each, with Freya pre-amp. I have heard such systems but it has been years so this is more audio archaeology than anything else for me. I want the tube sound and solid state size and affordability on the monoblocks. If I want to listen loudly, I can do that as well with another system. Class A is not efficient but my speakers will be. :smile_phones:

Jul 11, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #34,868 of 149,120
High Sensitivity speakers with a tube preamp . Hmmmm

But vidar in between. So ????

Well I would review posts on high sensitivity speakers with the combo you have . I have that combo and I would use lower sensitivity speakers but go ahead and let us know how it works

I had Freya, Vidar, and the Double Impact speakers. That will work just fine as long as you pick tubes that are very quiet. There will be a little hum in the speakers too regardless.

I have since moved on to a different preamp/amp setup with my Double Impact speakers that, I think, is more appropriate and sounds much better.

Jul 11, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #34,869 of 149,120
I have a plan, it may not be a good plan, but we will see.

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #34,870 of 149,120
Well I would review posts on high sensitivity speakers with the combo you have . I have that combo and I would use lower sensitivity speakers but go ahead and let us know how it works
But why? What is your thinking? I just want to understand. For me the load of vidar to the speakers is important but the freya before should have minimal impact especially because you can select preamp type

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #34,871 of 149,120
But why? What is your thinking? I just want to understand. For me the load of vidar to the speakers is important but the freya before should have minimal impact especially because you can select preamp type
Get some very very quiet tubes if you want to go with speakers that high in sensitivity otherwise you may have lots of background noise .

Finding very quiet tubes can sometimes be challenging .

The stock tubes may not be quiet and aren’t very good anyway.

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:17 PM Post #34,873 of 149,120
I had Freya, Vidar, and the Double Impact speakers. That will work just fine as long as you pick tubes that are very quiet. There will be a little hum in the speakers too regardless.

I have since moved on to a different preamp/amp setup with my Double Impact speakers that, I think, is more appropriate and sounds much better.
What is the different set-up?

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:21 PM Post #34,874 of 149,120
Jul 11, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #34,875 of 149,120
Get some very very quiet tubes if you want to go with speakers that high in sensitivity otherwise you may have lots of background noise .

Finding very quiet tubes can sometimes be challenging .

The stock tubes may not be quiet and aren’t very good anyway.

These should be quite.

upload_2018-7-11_18-24-29.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back