Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 2, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #34,276 of 155,146
Thank you for the insight. One of the reasons I was sitting slack-jawed throughout the entirety of an 8 hour video was listening to some of the discussions about the sound and intent. I got to hear (and watch) David Gilmour recreate some of the sounds for Dark Side of the Moon! I also learned quite a bit about how the microphone revolutionized recording, then multitrack, then computers.... etc. Watching a recording engineer / producer layer in sounds from each track and build music from pieces a bit like a composer was fascinating. (I want more 1st violin here... a bit more kick drum there). Hearing that some people still only record to tape and manually splice while some insist on using laptop software... There may be an empirical "better", but I don't care. As long as the tool they choose allows them to get the tunes from their brains to me, I'm happy. I don't know what picks up and captures the true character of the sound in the bathroom of a British home. How would I ever know what it "really sounds like"?

On a similar note, based on a recommendation from a friend, I recently watched the film "Sound City", currently free on Amazon prime video. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_City_(film)

It tells the story of a small studio in Van Nuys Calfornia and a mixing board designed by Rupert Neve (kinda like the Moffat of mixing boards). The board had such a great vocal and drum sound that it attracted many bands (Neil Young, Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, amongst many others). It went into a downturn for a while before a new band from Seattle (Nirvana) came there to make an album. Unfortunately, as computers and software became more common, the studio became less relevant and went bankrupt. Dave Grohl (Nirvana/Foo Fighters) ended up buying the board and putting it in his personal studio, and then went on to record an album with it, featuring members of the various bands who recorded at Sound City.

There's some nice stories in it, like how Fleetwood Mac met Buckingham-Nicks, and my favorite about a "runner" who was working late on night, answered the door and saw Tom Petty, Carl Parker, and John Fogerty standing there, and his jaw dropped.

Fun video to watch on the music recording process, and how well designed equipment can make "that sound" that we all look for.

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #34,277 of 155,146
If you think that heatsink is huge, check out this ol' beast. Thermalright IFX-14. Even has a part that takes heat from the back side of the CPU.

premium5-tr-ifx14-setup-side.jpg

I have all three different versions of this heatsink it's a beast but these densely finned HS's all need some type of fan to work.
They can also dissipate much more heat than a Nofan which is only rated for 95w tdp passive. And the Nofan covers much more of the board, but not that massive.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #34,278 of 155,146
Yes, I'm old. remember pong, man that was a big deal back in the day:grimacing:

Back in the day I had a Magnavox 19 inch TV with Pong built into it. As far as old computers, a friend has an Altair, I think 8800 complete. The Smithsonian has number ten or some such, he has number two. I hope I do not have the model wrong but it was one of the earliest home computers, you could do a few math functions but not much else I believe.

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #34,279 of 155,146
I find the Neal Gaiman version much more approachable

https://www.amazon.com/Norse-Mythology-Neil-Gaiman/dp/039360909X

EDIT: I see paladin79 beat me to it...

I like some of the works of Gaiman and he is very readable, I guess it would depend on the age of the students as far as the book choice. While I work or drive I tend to listen to audible books so I average 4-5 per week depending on length. It is not for everyone though, some have to see the print in front of them whether it be E book or dead tree editions. I know a bit of Norse mythology but like most students I was exposed more to Greek or Roman mythology as I did translations.

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #34,280 of 155,146
Back in the day I had a Magnavox 19 inch TV with Pong built into it. As far as old computers, a friend has an Altair, I think 8800 complete. The Smithsonian has number ten or some such, he has number two. I hope I do not have the model wrong but it was one of the earliest home computers, you could do a few math functions but not much else I believe.

If so It's worth mannnny times it's purchase price now, even though completely obsolete. Kinda like me:vulcan:

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #34,281 of 155,146
I know I started my son on a Vic 20 before they had the Commodore 64. (When he was four I began teaching him chess, computers, and electronics.) He was either going to major in computer science or music in college and career wise computer science was the better choice. He still likes music though and can hear concerts from Wolf Trap at his house. Many famous performers have been there, as far as I know it is the only national park dedicated to the performing arts and i was told the national symphony winters there but I never looked it up. Like me, my son owns Schiit equipment and is responsible for me getting back into high end audio and headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #34,282 of 155,146
I have all three different versions of this heatsink it's a beast but these densely finned HS's all need some type of fan to work.
They can also dissipate much more heat than a Nofan which is only rated for 95w tdp passive. And the Nofan covers much more of the board, but not that massive.

Have you looked into thermal electric coolers?

Jul 2, 2018 at 9:55 AM Post #34,283 of 155,146
Yes but horribly inefficient from a cost benefit factor for me compared to custom liquid. I have so much cooling gear already.
Kinda done with the heavy OC thing now, I am finding undervolting for stability as much fun now.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #34,284 of 155,146
Another suggestion for Jazz lovers ...

Artist: Steve Gadd Band
Album: 70 Strong

Well recorded and worth a listen listen if you're a Jazz lover.

Jul 2, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #34,285 of 155,146
Tidal is so cool, click bam, good Jazz!

Steve Gadd now on my favorite artist list.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #34,286 of 155,146
On a similar note, based on a recommendation from a friend, I recently watched the film "Sound City", currently free on Amazon prime video. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_City_(film)

It tells the story of a small studio in Van Nuys Calfornia and a mixing board designed by Rupert Neve (kinda like the Moffat of mixing boards). The board had such a great vocal and drum sound that it attracted many bands (Neil Young, Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, amongst many others). It went into a downturn for a while before a new band from Seattle (Nirvana) came there to make an album. Unfortunately, as computers and software became more common, the studio became less relevant and went bankrupt. Dave Grohl (Nirvana/Foo Fighters) ended up buying the board and putting it in his personal studio, and then went on to record an album with it, featuring members of the various bands who recorded at Sound City.

There's some nice stories in it, like how Fleetwood Mac met Buckingham-Nicks, and my favorite about a "runner" who was working late on night, answered the door and saw Tom Petty, Carl Parker, and John Fogerty standing there, and his jaw dropped.

Fun video to watch on the music recording process, and how well designed equipment can make "that sound" that we all look for.
Yes. Very nice docu. Nice sountrack, I like the build up in Mantra, just Nine Inch Nails kind of spoils it for me at the end, I like Nine Inch Nails when he is sensitive. Saw him live in A'dam paradiso, OMG what an energy he has/gives.

Jul 2, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #34,287 of 155,146
I think we all like the music AND the gear. We also like the change, purchase of somethingue newe. So, following question: what was your best 'change' that you still remember and for a while thought how is that possible? - copied from the schiit 2 channel club -

Jul 2, 2018 at 10:47 AM Post #34,288 of 155,146

Thanks! - I'll definitely check it out. It is interesting that I like "the sound" of all those bands / artists. I am not sure which albums were recorded where or how that hardware contributed, but I can't wait to see if some of the things that ring my bell are because of a common thread in recording hardware and/or technique.

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:10 AM Post #34,289 of 155,146

I loved that documentary. To me, it felt like a two-hour homage to the Neve console, with the stories all coming from that -- very well done. I've seen it at least four or five times already.

I actually have a photo of Rupert Neve on my desk that looks like a family photo on display -- it's just a nice promotional photo of him that I couldn't bring myself to discard.

By the way, you should also check out Wrecking Crew -- another fantastic rockumentary.

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:11 AM Post #34,290 of 155,146
I think we all like the music AND the gear. We also like the change, purchase of somethingue newe. So, following question: what was your best 'change' that you still remember and for a while thought how is that possible? - copied from the schiit 2 channel club -

I've had some major moments over the years. One relevant chunk was moving from one CD player to another. It was the very first time I was convinced that, bits may be bits, but there's magic under the hood for turning music into bits and bits back into music. I didn't think that was the way it was supposed to work with digital.

Another was probably my first set of a fairly (to me) esoteric loudspeakers. They're "common" now. Yay for another small company doing well and lasting. I never knew "imaging" and "soundstage" were things, and I never knew the human voice could be re-created so beautifully. Most importantly, I never thought it possible that my wife would buy me another (larger) pair.

The BEST (DUH!) was buying my first pair of "real" headphones and some associated Schiit. I had no idea how much I missed music, and I certainly never expected headphones to provide the level of enjoyment I get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back