Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 2, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #34,291 of 155,135
On a similar note, based on a recommendation from a friend, I recently watched the film "Sound City", currently free on Amazon prime video. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_City_(film)

It tells the story of a small studio in Van Nuys Calfornia and a mixing board designed by Rupert Neve (kinda like the Moffat of mixing boards). The board had such a great vocal and drum sound that it attracted many bands (Neil Young, Tom Petty, Fleetwood Mac, amongst many others). It went into a downturn for a while before a new band from Seattle (Nirvana) came there to make an album. Unfortunately, as computers and software became more common, the studio became less relevant and went bankrupt. Dave Grohl (Nirvana/Foo Fighters) ended up buying the board and putting it in his personal studio, and then went on to record an album with it, featuring members of the various bands who recorded at Sound City.

There's some nice stories in it, like how Fleetwood Mac met Buckingham-Nicks, and my favorite about a "runner" who was working late on night, answered the door and saw Tom Petty, Carl Parker, and John Fogerty standing there, and his jaw dropped.

Fun video to watch on the music recording process, and how well designed equipment can make "that sound" that we all look for.

I watch "Sound City" every couple of months. It is a fantastic documentary.

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:19 AM Post #34,292 of 155,135
High praise indeed, I will have to check out Sound City myself in the near future and free on Amazon Prime makes it all the better.

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #34,293 of 155,135
Another was probably my first set of a fairly (to me) esoteric loudspeakers. They're "common" now.

Well, don't keep it to yourself. What are they ??

High praise indeed, I will have to check out Sound City myself in the near future and free on Amazon Prime makes it all the better.

Loved Sound City. Now it's time to watch it again!! :)

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #34,294 of 155,135
Well, don't keep it to yourself. What are they ??

Loved Sound City. Now it's time to watch it again!! :)

I wasn't sure if we were supposed to talk about other brands of things here, but I've seen others mention speakers and such, so... the first pair (after my "dorm speakers" that my brother gave me) was a used pair Vandersteen 2b, and my wife bought me a pair a 3A. My brother has the 2s now (replaced his Klipsch KG4), and a close friend now has the 3s. I gifted some things when I moved overseas. When I get back to the States, I am definitely going to check out the Double Impacts that many folks have been chatting about, and of course see what Schiit may have up their sleeves around that time.

Trying to see if it is downloadable now for my flight in the morning :)

Have you seen "It Might Get Loud"?

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #34,296 of 155,135
Busily writing here and adding that to a list as well.

Jul 2, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #34,297 of 155,135
Groovy Sound City-related story: When I visited Capitol Studios the first time, we were greeted by a lovely lady, and she looked so familiar. When she introduced herself, I was like, "Are you Paula from Sound City?" She was. (For those of you who haven't watched it yet, there's essentially a chapter in the documentary about her.) She told us some cool Sound City stories before we continued on with the tour and meetings.

...Have you seen "It Might Get Loud"?

I did and I loved that, too. It seems we music documentary geeks are in full effect 'round here.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #34,298 of 155,135
As far as game changers in audio. Years ago I did a lot of Dynaco, AR, Infinity, two channel with amp, preamp, tuner and loud speakers. I bought a lot of Pioneer and such because of discounts I received. I built some of my own speakers. I have a few sets of headphones but nothing special. Later I got more into home theater and added Klipsch, Energy, and other brands of speakers. 7.2 surround sound with dual subwoofers. Then a few years ago while visiting my son he brought out a set of Mr Speaker Alpha Primes and a Pono player set up in balanced mode. I listened for ten minutes and was blown away. I had to own those exact pieces of equipment as well as an Oppo amp he had at the time. He had also paid dearly for a couple sets of headphone cables so I began researching those a bit. Anyway, that was the moment I was hooked. My full sized headphone amp was then a Valhalla 2, then I bought and built amp after amp but the Valhalla 2 was an important part of the chain.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #34,299 of 155,135
I wasn't sure if we were supposed to talk about other brands of things here, but I've seen others mention speakers and such, so... the first pair (after my "dorm speakers" that my brother gave me) was a used pair Vandersteen 2b, and my wife bought me a pair a 3A. My brother has the 2s now (replaced his Klipsch KG4), and a close friend now has the 3s. I gifted some things when I moved overseas. When I get back to the States, I am definitely going to check out the Double Impacts that many folks have been chatting about, and of course see what Schiit may have up their sleeves around that time.

Trying to see if it is downloadable now for my flight in the morning :)

Ahhhh. Vandersteens. Outstanding speakers by a legend in audio.

Oh, and the wife sounds like a keeper!! :wink:

DI's are definitely worthy of a look-see!!

Added to my list!!

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #34,300 of 155,135
Yes but horribly inefficient from a cost benefit factor for me compared to custom liquid. I have so much cooling gear already.
Kinda done with the heavy OC thing now, I am finding undervolting for stability as much fun now.

Right, but my thought was keeping your setup silent, as you had mentioned wanting fanless. Though I think some TEC use fans. But if that heatsink and undervolting are already getting you there, great!

Jul 2, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #34,301 of 155,135
I did and I loved that, too. It seems we music documentary geeks are in full effect 'round here.

OK - last one... I have to call it a night. It's not really a rockumentary but...

Elvis Lives: The 25th Anniversary Concert - Live From Memphis... is a must watch (for some). I'll backhandedly slide it into a list of rocumentaries because it covers more than just the music, and the techniques for the show were fantastic.

Jul 2, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #34,302 of 155,135
OK. My Rockumentary contribution ...

History of The Eagles part 1 and 2. (You'd be amazed at the paths crossed with other artists.)

Tom Petty -- Running Down a Dream

I'm sure I'll think of some others, but these are 2 very good ones.

Jul 2, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #34,303 of 155,135
I really liked a music documentary called Big Easy Express, it may have been produced by Showtime. Mumford and Sons, Old Crow Medicine Show, and Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros.

Jul 2, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #34,305 of 155,135
Hey all,

Still crazy busy here (but yeah, progress--I'm approving one of the last parts we need for the turntable right now.)

And more progress--I've hit a major milestone on a new topology that I've started calling "Nexus." Don't get too excited yet, since there's still plenty of work to be done, but the major challenge--operating point stability--appears to have been largely addressed by the use of integrated, matched BJT pairs. I was hoping we didn't have to go to crazy lengths (like microprocessor control, or hand-matching of parts) to get this one working right, and it looks like we're there. Now we have to build a number of prototypes to check variability, and do complete listening and instrumented testing. Seeing this in a product is probably a looooonnnggg way off, but at least it doesn't seem to be a complete pipe dream. Yes, I am a giant engineering dork.

I should also (finally) have a wrap-up chapter on the coaster this week. I found one error in the BOM (one resistor), so if you're building one of these guys already, swap the 200K for 1M and you should be fine. More on that later.

All the best,
Jason

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back