Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 1, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #34,247 of 155,114
You should be able to watch the video, even if you are not a member...

:L3000:

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #34,248 of 155,114
Thanks, guys. I'm not a member of Facebook.

Nor am I. If I click on the link Ableza provided, Facebook loads with a "sign up" banner at the bottom and Videos is highlighted on the side menu. Clicking on Videos clears the banner and pops up five presentations from Schiit.

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:49 PM Post #34,249 of 155,114
IMG_2799.JPG My last Schiit Coaster amp build for the weekend. Board is free hanging inside a round copper frame both front and back. It tilts up to remove headphone cable or source cable. It is suspended from an aluminum rod by copper eyelets. The headphone cable is outside the other two cables so it is still a functional headphone rack with amp built in with a fairly small footprint. With the amp running in a darkened room the amber LED's resemble eyes. This is just a mock up to test the copper frame, the aluminum rod is a little crocked but not permanent yet.

Jul 1, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #34,250 of 155,114
Nor am I. If I click on the link Ableza provided, Facebook loads with a "sign up" banner at the bottom and Videos is highlighted on the side menu. Clicking on Videos clears the banner and pops up five presentations from Schiit.
Thank you for the help!
:)

Jul 1, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #34,251 of 155,114
Thank you for the insight. One of the reasons I was sitting slack-jawed throughout the entirety of an 8 hour video was listening to some of the discussions about the sound and intent. I got to hear (and watch) David Gilmour recreate some of the sounds for Dark Side of the Moon! I also learned quite a bit about how the microphone revolutionized recording, then multitrack, then computers.... etc. Watching a recording engineer / producer layer in sounds from each track and build music from pieces a bit like a composer was fascinating. (I want more 1st violin here... a bit more kick drum there). Hearing that some people still only record to tape and manually splice while some insist on using laptop software... There may be an empirical "better", but I don't care. As long as the tool they choose allows them to get the tunes from their brains to me, I'm happy. I don't know what picks up and captures the true character of the sound in the bathroom of a British home. How would I ever know what it "really sounds like"?

Side note - it was, however, very cool to validate the "incredible resolvtivenessoution" of my system. I always knew I could hear the plankton, but no one believed me that what I was hearing was Freddie's mustache grazing the microphone during Bohemian Rhapsody. Ha! It's on the video, suckers. I'm telling you, once you know it's there, it'll change your life. I'm off to find a video of the studio sessions for the Meiko record. We need to clear up once and for all if it's a banana or strawberry smoothy, and if the blender was modded to spin counter-clockwise. <sarc>

In all seriousness though, there was a quick segment where they describe how they chose the "stomping" for Adele's Rolling in the Deep - and how that became part of the backbone of the song.

Side note to the side note - If Shirley Manson and Warren Zevon had two kids, would they have an Excitable Girl and a Stupid boy? Never understood dominant genes and such things.

Clearly I'm tired. Brain off. Ramble over.

Edited to add - OK - clearly I'm wiped out... but if you're ever stuck on a plane at the gate while they're changing the thingymawhatsit for 3 hours - Octupus's Garden WILL still make you smile. I'd like to be... under the sea.
My BluRay just delivered today (Sunday!) via Amazon Prime.
Looking forward to see Freddie's mustache add to Bohemian Rhapsody. :)

Jul 1, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #34,252 of 155,114
My last Schiit Coaster amp build for the weekend. Board is free hanging inside a round copper frame both front and back. It tilts up to remove headphone cable or source cable. It is suspended from an aluminum rod by copper eyelets. The headphone cable is outside the other two cables so it is still a functional headphone rack with amp built in with a fairly small footprint. With the amp running in a darkened room the amber LED's resemble eyes. This is just a mock up to test the copper frame, the aluminum rod is a little crocked but not permanent yet.

This is a very cool idea, I could make something like this, though I might prefer to buy a completed amp as my soldering skills are certainly no match for yours, I'd definitely make mistakes and use up more parts than you.

I have done PC mods and make furniture and such, and I'm a painter, finisher, woodworker by trade.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 6:21 PM Post #34,253 of 155,114
IMG_20170709_123642421.jpg Here is a gaming rig I put together last summer. Took sometime before all the parts made a system.

I'm also very good with a dremel.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #34,255 of 155,114
IMG_1981.JPG IMG_1665.JPG Some of the parts are tiny even for me so I had to adapt. I also learned which parts I need to order extra of since just a slight mistake holding the parts and you never see them again.

I may try to get in touch with you when I get several of the boards built. The headphone rack used here is about $30 on Amazon, I did not build that.

Nice work!I will be in need of four small pieces of oak or walnut for a mono block amp build so maybe we can work out a trade. I can do some things but having the time is never easy. I used all hand tools for the archery rack, I went old school just for the heck of it.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 7:06 PM Post #34,257 of 155,114
My last Schiit Coaster amp build for the weekend. Board is free hanging inside a round copper frame both front and back. It tilts up to remove headphone cable or source cable. It is suspended from an aluminum rod by copper eyelets. The headphone cable is outside the other two cables so it is still a functional headphone rack with amp built in with a fairly small footprint. With the amp running in a darkened room the amber LED's resemble eyes. This is just a mock up to test the copper frame, the aluminum rod is a little crocked but not permanent yet.

That's a beautiful piece of work. Thanks for posting the pics of this build and the 8-ball. You do need some EaZy-E in your music diet though - stupid auto-correct.

I'm off to pamper some pachyderms this morning, so I've been humming this since I woke up.

Jul 1, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #34,258 of 155,114
Take care, always good to see you.

Jul 1, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #34,259 of 155,114
It looks like a small V-12 powering that thing! lol :dt880smile:

It's a highly overclocked i7, nothing real special, but it should last a lifetime considering it runs close to room temp most of the time. The cooling is massive overkill:sunglasses:

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2018 at 7:59 PM Post #34,260 of 155,114
Here is a gaming rig I put together last summer. Took sometime before all the parts made a system.

I'm also very good with a dremel.

What? No immersion into a tank of mineral oil? :wink:

All kidding aside -- nice rig. My OC days are behind me, of course I never dared introduce water, but I'm an oldskool OC'er. A bit of pin masking, a huge heatrsink with 120mm fan, a Peltier, plenty of power, insulation to prevent condensate and I was off to the races. Now with an i7 quad at 3.5-4GHz, I don't even bother. Overclocking a graphics card is another matter altogether. :D

I must state again, it is a beautiful rig!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back