Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 24, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #34,021 of 151,052
Please take this post in a humorous way. I am a couple of years away from retirement. If any of my three sons found out I was posting cat pictures on the internet (the reason why to them would be immaterial), not only would I be subject to complete derision. They would start planning on putting me in a nursing home.

Jun 24, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #34,022 of 151,052
Please take this post in a humorous way. I am a couple of years away from retirement. If any of my three sons found out I was posting cat pictures on the internet (the reason why to them would be immaterial), not only would I be subject to complete derision. They would start planning on putting me in a nursing home.
1340863054016_2418216.png

Jun 24, 2018 at 10:07 PM Post #34,023 of 151,052
I gotta ask, how perfect does a product have to be for Jason to release it these days? I had a thought the other night. There is a fine line between being demanding that your work (whatever it is) be done with as much accuracy and skill as you can muster, and being a crazed obsessive compulsive who never gets anything done because its not perfect, or there's always a way to tweak it to make it a little better

I'm not commenting on what side of that fence any of us are on, I just wanted to ask. (Tonight I'm straddling that line myself)

Edit - I probably listen to music every day that was created by obsessive compulsive perfectionist control freaks, and I'm happy they went to the lengths they did to create the art they did. So there's that.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 10:21 PM Post #34,024 of 151,052
Jun 25, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #34,026 of 151,052
I think this is one of those classic times a statement is misinterpreted.

I took valiants statement to say he liked your update, and that it was sufficient for him, as he doesn't want a play by play.

But hey that's my take, as I don't think you've been doing a play by play, and have been giving updates sparingly.

I did go back and reread the message and you are right Rensek.
Part of my higher education is in electronics so I am fairly used to it and rarely go into depth on that in any of my builds. My interest lies more in fashioning enclosures for the Coasters and trying techniques I have not used before. That being said I am going to build several amps ahead and try to help out a few folks on here who do not solder or might have trouble working with tiny components. (I need some practice there myself.) They are an interesting product and IMHO an excellent example Schiit lightheartedness.

Jun 25, 2018 at 12:31 PM Post #34,027 of 151,052
Very cool bottle of ale.

After several weeks and a couple discussions with Jason Stoddard, I have a working coaster amp. I really did not want to say a lot till I got one going but suddenly one works, and works surprisingly well. I need to do more listening before i offer more of an opinion but for now, at least one is going! This is not easy soldering by the way but the parts are not very expensive and build time is not bad.

If any of you wish to attempt the build, PM me and I will tell you some things to avoid, I spent the last three hours troubleshooting and probably know more about this circuitry now than was my original intent.:dt880smile:

I now have it hooked to a quality DAC with some Sennheisers and with the proper input I cannot think of a $40 amp (approximate) that could top this. Jason has been incredible throughout this and I hope to return this favor with one of my own.

Congrats!

And yes, soldering SMD parts takes some getting used to. The first SMD product I put together (the first Magni prototype) felt completely unnatural, weird, and wrong. Now, I can do SMD prototypes faster than thru-hole, and more accurately. Well, at least until the parts get too small. I draw the line at 402, and at anything with 0.5mm pitch or below. Believe it or not, we have a couple of people who can do those by hand. Everybody gives up when faced with parts that have pads hidden underneath, like the little 3x3mm regulators we use that have 16 pins and a thermal pad. At that point, if you want to do SMD in small quantities, it's time to get solder paste and an IR oven.

As far as performance goes, I hear you. I personally think the Vali Mini sounds pretty darn good. It's just not the highest-performance thing on the planet--it won't win any awards for low distortion, low noise, or high output. Ironically, after looking at some measurements of similar amps, or amps using NuTubes, Vali Mini's performance seems to be just fine for the genre. So, hopefully this week, I'll finalize the docs, write a chapter, and start selling coasters.

A couple of notes:

1. If you want to help minimize ringing with the small tubes, try using small strips of Sorbothane 30 durometer under the tubes. This is what we used in production. The prototypes I've made use the sorbothane. Small foam pads also work reasonably well.
2. To maximize power output, you're looking to hit about 9V DC before the output coupling capacitor. Tweaking the value of the plate loads can help you hit this number; the plate loads provided get near that for the tube types specified, but is not an absolute recommendation. You should use the same plate load for both tubes, however, since the plate load sets the overall gain of the system.
3. These small tubes vary pretty significantly in terms of gain. You may need to match them. Check each channel's gain and swap tubes if necessary.

Thanks again for taking the effort to build these, and to prove out the schematic and BOM!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jun 25, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #34,028 of 151,052
You are most welcome Jason and I apologize for taking so long to complete the build! I was dragging out test equipment I have not touched in about ten years so I was faced with some limitations for a while there. I will heed your advice on tube dampening etc. I do have some sorbothane in my shop, I believe I bought it for dampening inside of headphones or some such.

There are really no problems I could see with schematic or bom and thanks again for all of your help as I worked through this. I will set up a couple sockets of some type on one of the pc boards for swapping out tubes, I changed out one set but it was rather time consuming. The tubes are not expensive at all and I will most likely build ten of these or more so I need to speed up that process.

Tom

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #34,029 of 151,052
I think this is one of those classic times a statement is misinterpreted.

I took valiants statement to say he liked your update, and that it was sufficient for him, as he doesn't want a play by play.

But hey that's my take, as I don't think you've been doing a play by play, and have been giving updates sparingly.

This is correct. I was not criticizing.

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #34,030 of 151,052
Jason:
Ironically, after looking at some measurements of similar amps, or amps using NuTubes, Vali Mini's performance seems to be just fine for the genre.

In the listings I see for your products you have always been open and honest. For the price and fun involved trying to find a suitable housing for the amp it is a great advertising item that has a good upside. I gave a couple out to some engineers at a meeting the other night and they loved them as did their significant others. There are plenty of DIY kits I see for sale where the person changed their mind and did not do the build, in this case if you change your mind you still have a coaster!

Jun 25, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #34,031 of 151,052
8_ball_coaster.jpg Here is a great example of the power of the internet. If you search for coaster amp through Google images, among the roller coasters, normal drink coasters, etc. is now an early image of the Schiit product as I mounted one in a magic 8 ball. Do the same thing with Schiit Coaster Amp and Jason's photo appears.schiit coaster amp.jpg Ah the power of Google.

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #34,032 of 151,052
Awesome work!!! A dual threat guy -- Engineering and Marketing!! :D

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #34,033 of 151,052
After reading some of that other thread, I am not sure you are safe to talk to right now but thanks lol.

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:27 PM Post #34,034 of 151,052
53A7166D-69C6-45BD-9C70-A99ECB62121E.jpeg
Unfortunately some bottles explicitly forbid conversion to coasters

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #34,035 of 151,052
After reading some of that other thread, I am not sure you are safe to talk to right now but thanks lol.

Yeah. I don't want to be banned or censored, so I'll need to keep my posting,,,

1. On the down-low
2. Low-key
3. Copacetic

Screw it!! Nobody puts baby in a corner!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back