Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 26, 2018 at 4:31 PM Post #34,051 of 152,528
Ditto on the at work part.
There are some serious listings in there, I will have to check some out when I get home. I saw Norah Jones Cold Cold heart, one of my favorite songs is her cover of Tom Waits "Long Way Home"

thanks Alex

Among my top five albums as far as songs is Moondance by Van Morrison. Rarely do I like each song of an album but I do in this case.

Jun 26, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #34,052 of 152,528
Sorry I had moved on to other things. Those are Pass aca's, class A 5 watts per board but combined as mono blocks they will be ten watts per channel. Above is a Whammy class A that I built a few weeks ago. Designed by Wayne at Pass Labs. I am on to Coaster amps now, it is not unnatural for me to have three or for projects going at one time
I want one of those (or 2 monoblocks). My eBay wishlist of full of them. PM me what you'd charge, pretty please?

Jun 26, 2018 at 6:32 PM Post #34,054 of 152,528
I want one of those (or 2 monoblocks). My eBay wishlist of full of them. PM me what you'd charge, pretty please?

I built those for myself, if you go on DIYaudio, they have a forum and you can ask folks there if they can help you. I do not have much free time sorry. Right now my main focus is on Schiit Coaster Amps and most likely purchasing more of their products and that is probably your best move since they have quality gear for good prices.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #34,055 of 152,528
Jun 26, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #34,056 of 152,528
I would be curious if others are able to rate them that way and what their choices might be. I am always looking for test tracks and new music choices.

I've tried many, many times to rate albums and tracks, and I just cannot do it. Your timing is great though. Last night a friend of mine listened to a few of my headphones, and then we spent hours listening to random stuff through the LS50Ws after he got sucked in. He had never listened to recorded music except through car speakers and/or a bluetooth type speaker, or headphones that come free with phones etc. It was a joy to watch his reactions. The sequence was ... Oh well if you think you like THAT well then listen to THIS... Followed shortly by WOW / DUDE! / $chiit-Eating Grin... He asked me to put together a list of songs he could use to go listen to equipment. After about an hour I came up with a fairly long list.

Well onto actually answering your question - To me, there are some really poor recordings that I still adore just because... If you're looking for some recommendations for things that are well-recorded - I actually have no idea what is well recorded or not, but here are a few that I think sound pretty great that may not be known as well. They're in no particular order, and are not in any "Top 5", but I put a few notes as to why I like them. I hope you will, too. They're what popped into my head in the moment, and you can go from Meiko to Warren Zevon...

Alison Krauss - 100 Miles or More: A Collection.
- Listen to it when - you don't mind shedding a tear
- Why I think it's great - Incredible recordings. That voice, that voice, that voice.
- Stand out tracks - Lay Down Beside Me (Old Don Williams Tune); Whiskey Lullaby; Jacob's Dream (Get your tissues)

Roy Orbison and Friends - A Black and White Night
- Listen to it when - you want (or need) to bounce around and smile
- Why I think it's great - It's ROY and darn near everyone else. I mean c'mon Bonnie Raitt, Jennifer Warnes, and KD Lang are his Doo-Wop Girls. It's an EPIC group of people having an all-out blast playing music.
- Stand out tracks - O' Pretty Woman (James Burton, Bruce Springsteen, and Roy jamming is FUN); Crying.
- If you ever come across a copy of the Blu-Ray - grab it.

Yes - The Yes Album
- Listen to it when - you want to take a straight and stronger course to the corner of your life.
- Why I think it's great - Dunno... I just do
- Standout tracks - I've Seen All Good People (Maybe a Top 5 song),

Willie Nelson - Milk Cow Blues
- Listen to it when - Coffee time, chill. When you don't mind looking up from your work and to no-one in particular just nodding your head and going "Cool!"
- Why I think it's great - some amazing recordings with some phenomenal musicians and vocalists. Makes me grin.
- Standout tracks - ALL of it. Texas Flood and Night Life if you forced me to pick.

Ray Charles - Genius Loves Company
- Listen to it when - You may feel nostalgic, who knows... It does take a mood
- Why I think it's great - I think Ray Charles had one of the coolest, most expressive voices in music. The song choices and pairings.
- Standout tracks - Do I Ever Cross Your Mind, Sinner's Prayer, Here We Go Again, Crazy Love ... yeah just all of 'em.

Happy Listening!

Jun 26, 2018 at 7:45 PM Post #34,057 of 152,528
It’s all, great selection of music I know well. We do have similar tastes. I just got a high def Roy Orbison recording not long ago, I will have to check the title later.

I have several categories within music and literature where I can do five each. It is just the way I think. Movies as well but music matters here.

I let a few young friends from book groups listen to my setup, a couple turned to me and asked how they were supposed to enjoy their phones and earbuds after hearing a Valhalla 2, into another tube headphone amp.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #34,058 of 152,528
I'm guessing the signal/noise ratio has something to do with it.
A few well-chosen ignores is all I needed to raise S/N significantly. :)

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:00 PM Post #34,059 of 152,528
True. FWIW, I've really enjoyed your posts.

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:04 PM Post #34,060 of 152,528
I've tried many, many times to rate albums and tracks, and I just cannot do it. Your timing is great though. Last night a friend of mine listened to a few of my headphones, and then we spent hours listening to random stuff through the LS50Ws after he got sucked in. He had never listened to recorded music except through car speakers and/or a bluetooth type speaker, or headphones that come free with phones etc. It was a joy to watch his reactions. The sequence was ... Oh well if you think you like THAT well then listen to THIS... Followed shortly by WOW / DUDE! / $chiit-Eating Grin... He asked me to put together a list of songs he could use to go listen to equipment. After about an hour I came up with a fairly long list.

Well onto actually answering your question - To me, there are some really poor recordings that I still adore just because... If you're looking for some recommendations for things that are well-recorded - I actually have no idea what is well recorded or not, but here are a few that I think sound pretty great that may not be known as well. They're in no particular order, and are not in any "Top 5", but I put a few notes as to why I like them. I hope you will, too. They're what popped into my head in the moment, and you can go from Meiko to Warren Zevon...

- Why I think it's great - Incredible recordings. That voice, that voice, that voice.
- Stand out tracks - Lay Down Beside Me (Old Don Williams Tune); Whiskey Lullaby; Jacob's Dream (Get your tissues)

- Why I think it's great - It's ROY and darn near everyone else. I mean c'mon Bonnie Raitt, Jennifer Warnes, and KD Lang are his Doo-Wop Girls. It's an EPIC group of people having an all-out blast playing music.
- Stand out tracks - O' Pretty Woman (James Burton, Bruce Springsteen, and Roy jamming is FUN); Crying.

Yes - The Yes Album
- Listen to it when - you want to take a straight and stronger course to the corner of your life.

- Listen to it when - Coffee time, chill. When you don't mind looking up from your work and to no-one in particular just nodding your head and going "Cool!"
- Why I think it's great - some amazing recordings with some phenomenal musicians and vocalists. Makes me grin.
- Standout tracks - ALL of it. Texas Flood and Night Life if you forced me to pick.

- Why I think it's great - I think Ray Charles had one of the coolest, most expressive voices in music. The song choices and pairings.
- Standout tracks - Do I Ever Cross Your Mind, Sinner's Prayer, Here We Go Again, Crazy Love ... yeah just all of 'em.

Happy Listening!
That's a great post!
I'm not going to steal anyone's ideas, but this post fits in the category of the "Music First Audiophile"
Again, nicely done. Post more if you get the chance.

Jun 26, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #34,061 of 152,528

Yes - The Yes Album

Happy Listening!

Thanks!! Looks like I'll be spending some time on Tidal over the next few days. :wink:

Jun 26, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #34,062 of 152,528

Leave it to Ableza to inject a lot of (un)common sense into everything.

If your favorite watering hole attracts people you don't care for, do you stop going and conversing with the people you have built a camaraderie with? Or do you ignore the folks you don't care for so you can enjoy the personalities you like.

I will miss those who have left, and hope I didn't aid their departure. Everyone on this thread contributes in one way or another, and I enjoy all of the personalities.

Be good one another.

Jun 27, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #34,063 of 152,528
Look at the bright side, it will give others a chance to speak up and talk about relevant topics and hopefully the forum will be more in line with the forum title and will be more informative.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2018 at 1:53 AM Post #34,065 of 152,528
Jason must be extremely busy cooking up some more fantastic Schiit for us Schiit-heads. He floated some really interesting stuff earlier and it will be interesting which (if any) make it to fruition ...

Vidar sized Class A amp?
A new Class A/B Asgard 3 with Contunuity? (Or will it remain as-is in a Classic Line?)
A Gumby Jr? (to replace Bifrost?) (I may have imagined this or it may have been alluded to by Mike in another thread)
Loki Max?
Sol Turntable? (It's got to be almost ready)
A CD transport?
A new USB controller? (for use with what??)
That Gadget? (Mike hasn't been saying much about that one lately)
A new phono preamp (tube-based?) to go with Sol? (I may have imagined that one too)

Who knows what lurks in the secret confines of the Schiit skunkworks that may be in varying stages of development. Hopefully @Jason Stoddard will pop-in and taunt us with tidbits and progress on the what-might-be's and ain't-gonna-happens! It's always quietest before the Schiit-storm -- and he's been awful quiet. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back