Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 23, 2018 at 6:04 PM Post #33,991 of 150,704
Message received loud and clear... :wink:

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:06 PM Post #33,992 of 150,704
ABSO-FREAKIN'-LUTELY! :thumbsup:

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #33,993 of 150,704
Deleted duplicate...

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:23 PM Post #33,994 of 150,704
Ah a man after my own heart, see that is helpful information and I would love to try the Madeira cask finish, that should be the first one Ripper sends me. (He lives in Texas by the way, that might explain his fondness for tequila and his wish to treat a northerner badly.) I will probably be lucky if he does not send me scotch tape.

It'sAll you do sound familiar, did you happen to attend a certain university with the letters IU in it?

I'm glad to help. It's truly a fantastic bottle. Also, if you're into the Islay peats, then some of Bruichladdich's Port Charlotte offerings may be in your wheelhouse. Their bottle tins may be a bit large for what you're doing with the coasters, but I still think you should experiment. The measurements may be off, and you should account for variability, humidity, skin effect, Coriolis effect etc. etc. Warning - some of their offerings make Laphroig and Lagavulin seem mildly peated. The vast majority of my bottles are in the US, but I do have a bottle of this here:

upload_2018-6-24_5-50-15.jpeg

The only drag is that I can only find it in the duty free store. If you ever happen across a bottle, snag it. Note - the (ahem) gratuitous inclusion of the KEF LS50W bottle perching device I just got. Stands forthcoming, and I'll surely be running the full gamut of the Scotch Mod test and its corollary. I'll be testing the oft-wondered about effects of music on the taste of Scotch AND THEN the Scotch's subsequent fast-following effect on music enjoyment. It's a full feedback loop. Hypothesis - Scotch pre-tuned through contact with loudspeakers playing X will subsequently increase the enjoyment of X by a factor of Y. With a full factorial ANOVA, subsequent regressions .... 4X4 matrix at three levels... hmmmmmm

I spent quite a bit of time on the IU campus way before my college years, but I did not attend. I also spent a good bit of time at "Ewwww-E-Pewww-E". My brother was the one who went to college in Indy (a school that a lot of people think is in Illinois and ends with an L), and while I came within a gnat's lash of going to Purdue, we had moved by that time, and the out of state tuition was not in the cards for me.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #33,996 of 150,704
Great info on the scotch, right now I am working on an idea to mount the Coaster in a headphone rack.

You sounded like a friend of the family so I figured I best ask lol, he does live in Japan now but had been in various parts of Asia. He spent one year at IU and has traveled the world with his programming skills. He was one of my sons mentors.

I did get the Coaster amp going as i sipped 18 year old Glenlivet.

"A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it".

1st Law of Mentat, Frank Herbert, Dune

Jun 23, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #33,997 of 150,704
Great info on the scotch, right now I am working on an idea to mount the Coaster in a headphone rack.

You sounded like a friend of the family so I figured I best ask lol, he does live in Japan now but had been in various parts of Asia. He spent one year at IU and has traveled the world with his programming skills. He was one of my sons mentors.

"A process cannot be understood by stopping it. Understanding must move with the flow of the process, must join it and flow with it".

No worries at all. That's kind praise. If a semi-anonymous person on the internet thinks I'm an old friend, then my mom learnt me good...

Great news on the coaster. Just saw the pics. Glad to hear that the SQ is solid.

Love the quote.

Jun 23, 2018 at 8:59 PM Post #33,999 of 150,704
I do believe stopping for a sip of good scotch helped out (I hope Ripper is listening and learns from this). During this process I dug out one of my old curve tracers and discovered the associated oscilloscope had gone down so part of this was just having the right test equipment in front of me. A solder joint slightly bigger than a pencil point was causing my issue.

Bass is surprisingly good on this little amp,

This is something I am running by Ripper. What if I mounted one of these inside this style headphone rack, the glowing led's might act as eyes, center knob as nose, cables come out the bottom easily and the headphones are right there for the listening? I could mount the board so it pivots so a person can easily plug in their headphones but then the weight of the cables brings it back to the proper position. Maybe a nice copper structure to hold it in place.

Now that is the best enclosure idea yet!

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:13 PM Post #34,000 of 150,704
Thank you Cricket. I do have plenty of choices and I will build some in tobacco tins no doubt, and an eight ball etc. but early on I built a cage that reminded people of a gyroscope so I began thinking about circles and curves.

I just needed to take a bit of time to think about the amp as well and adapt to soldering such small components.

Good Muad'dib quote RiffRaff. One day someone may make a decent movie of Dune but it has not quite happened yet.

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #34,001 of 150,704
Paul: How do you call among you the little mouse, the mouse that jumps?
Stilgar: We call that one muad'dib.

“Without change something sleeps inside us.”

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #34,002 of 150,704
Thank you Cricket. I do have plenty of choices and I will build some in tobacco tins no doubt, and an eight ball etc. but early on I built a cage that reminded people of a gyroscope so I began thinking about circles and curves.

I just needed to take a bit of time to think about the amp as well and adapt to soldering such small components.

Good Muad'dib quote RiffRaff. One day someone may make a decent movie of Dune but it has not quite happened yet.

Some saw a gyroscope, I saw a ship's compass or tonearm gimbal.

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:39 PM Post #34,003 of 150,704
ss-jawa.jpg Interesting.

I have been listening to the Coaster for a few hours now and it is a pretty solid little amp. The two little LED's remind me of something, probably a sci-fi movie.IMG_2785.JPG

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 10:13 PM Post #34,004 of 150,704

I dunno. It'd be quite the undertaking to do the books justice. Still, I like all the movies, for different aspects. Too many liberties taken, for sure, but folks attention span seems to diminish daily. Whatchagonnado? *shrug*

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:19 PM Post #34,005 of 150,704
I do not have the info in front of me but there was an attempt to make a better version of Dune but funding became an issue. Set designs from that attempt ended up in such movies as Prometheus and I believe Alien.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back