Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jun 23, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #33,961 of 150,897
I will have to check out that app, I was just given an IPad Pro large screen for my birthday so I definitely want to use some flac files on it. I used a program called Flac player on an Iphone but after a while it would lock up and stop working so I gave up on using one for a long time.

Jun 23, 2018 at 7:49 AM Post #33,962 of 150,897
It is excellent. You can hear and almost feel the texture of the drum skins with the brushes. A most fabulous recording!!!

This is absolutely why I like volume controls on each channel. I can turn the channel with the drums up just a bit to accentuate them a little more. I listened quite a bit on a Lyr 2, Valhalla 2, then changed over to solid state class A amps, and finally tube class A with separate volume controls and brought the bass out a bit more and reached the sound I wanted to achieve. I will use a couple of these tracks for headphone cable testing.

Jun 23, 2018 at 8:02 AM Post #33,963 of 150,897
If you don't send him your flavor, how will he know if your preferred scotch mod works with the coaster amp??
Let me solve your problem by offering to be a neutral third party that will empty the single malt bottles and carefully document [with photos] the characteristics of the departed contents.

Jun 23, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #33,965 of 150,897
Let me solve your problem by offering to be a neutral third party that will empty the single malt bottles and carefully document [with photos] the characteristics of the departed contents.

Sam, that is certainly a sterling offer. Ripper is being most difficult in this negotiation but eventually he may come around. First he will probably have to stagger out of bed after a night of who knows what kinds of tequila infused late night postings.

I read something the other day about the oak barrels used for wine, supposedly there are more than 400 species of oak trees but only 4 per cent of those are suitable for making wine barrels and I imagine they are just as picky when it comes to bourbon and such.

Jun 23, 2018 at 8:43 AM Post #33,966 of 150,897
Sam, that is certainly a sterling offer. Ripper is being most difficult in this negotiation but eventually he may come around. First he will probably have to stagger out of bed after a night of who knows what kinds of tequila infused late night postings.

I read something the other day about the oak barrels used for wine, supposedly there are more than 400 species of oak trees but only 4 per cent of those are suitable for making wine barrels and I imagine they are just as picky when it comes to bourbon and such.
I wonder if he fancies the tequila with the worm in the bottle.

I understand that used oak aging barrels and used sherry aging barrels are highly sought by scotch distilleries.

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #33,967 of 150,897
I thought that bourbon was invented to supply used oak aging barrels to the distilleries of Scotland.

Would the distillers of a fine Scottish dram want their product to occupy a barrel that formerly held corn likker? :scream_cat:

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #33,969 of 150,897
Would the distillers of a fine Scottish dram want their product to occupy a barrel that formerly held corn likker? :scream_cat:
They certainly do! From the label on a bottle of Auchentoshan single malt "Auchentoshan 12 Years Old ages gracefully in American bourbon and Olorosso sherry casks". I suppose it helps the balance of trade deficit that the thrifty Scots figured out how to recycle barrels.

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #33,970 of 150,897
I use a Mac app called Max to convert FLAC to ALAC so I can use it with iTunes. I like iTunes because of its handling of metadata. As I understand it, as an older format FLAC is not as flexible in terms of metadata. However, there are Mac apps that will happily play FLAC without conversion if that’s what you prefer. I have occasionally compared tracks played as FLAC versus the same track after conversion to ALAC, and was unable to hear any difference. I eventually stopped worrying about it and just got on with listening to music.
As a late-blooming audio dude, I get regular bouts of audio-nervosa (if I'm using the slang correctly). I keep 2 separate directories of tunes. One is handled by iTunes (and save it as either AAC [with Apple's super duper pooper scooper setting] and ALAC [with error correction]). I understand how iTunes organizes my schiit. For files that I really want to keep and nit pick, I keep a separate FLAC directory (where I agonize which ripper [Foobar vs EAC] gives me a more pleasant audio product). I then use TekThing's 3-2-1 backup philosophy to keep it safe. There's SOMETHING about Foobar that makes it sound more pleasing than VLC. Damned if I can put my finger on it. I suspect it's the GainReplay feature (and for that matter, Apple's proprietary 'sound check' processing). When I pipe all these zeros and ones to my Schiit, I get pleasant results. @valiant66 , you're right on the money about just listening to the music.

...until I see a new shiny thing on the Schiit website or such dongle-dandy-decoder-device. :ksc75smile:

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:05 AM Post #33,971 of 150,897
It has been a while since i read about this but I believe bourbon barrels add a smoothness to scotch, a mellowing effect. I want to say a lot of the color is obtained from the inside of the barrel as well. I have had this Balvenie and the smoothness and rich taste was amazing, I do believe they are using whiskey and sherry casks but I do not have a decent sized label in front of me to tell for sure.

https://citywinecellar.com/liquor/w...F5CEtpdQCwW5eQQAeWJ6MGFpiYEoIx1waAl53EALw_wcB

Were I to be allowed to pick one scotch and no other for the remainder of my years, this would be near the top of my list.

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #33,972 of 150,897
I wonder if he fancies the tequila with the worm in the bottle.

Oh, dear Lord, NO!! The worm is found in Mescal. Mescal is similar to Tequila, but Tequila only comes from the Jalisco area of Mexico -- sans worm. While there are newer upscale Mescals available, Tequila is much more refined, in general. :anguished:

I have had this Balvenie and the smoothness and rich taste was amazing,

OMG. You keep mentioning Balvenie. If you want a freakin' bottle of Balvenie for the Coaster amp, then why don't you just come right out and say it? Quit *****-footing around!! :unamused:

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #33,973 of 150,897
lol no no, a lesser bottle of Balvenie would work for a Coaster, I was just talking scotch's with those who might appreciate them. In reality I would send you a Coaster amp free of charge once I iron out a few things.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #33,974 of 150,897
And I was just kidding!! PM me your preference and any specific requirements for Coaster-use!!

BTW -- I really do think I MAY have the perfect Tequila bottle. I'll send pics once I look it over (and empty it of its contents). :D.

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #33,975 of 150,897
It is so tricky to judge the inside bottle diameter without cutting it but the Coasters are 3.5 inches of course. Right now the problem is keeping a large bottle steady in the glass cutter as I rotate it to make the cut, I will figure something out though. I ruined a couple perfectly good scotch bottles in early attempts but I will get this going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back