Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 7, 2018 at 11:41 AM Post #32,522 of 155,141
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain

The key is to keep the cat in motion, letting centrifugal force ensure that the biting/scratching bits are always pointed away from your soft tissues. When you finally do let go, use sufficient oomph so that the cat will land far enough away to give you the advantageous head start.

Or you could recall the traditional saying and choose a dead cat, which will be much more cooperative and no more hazardous than anything else that's actively decomposing.

Just a tip for all you swingin' cats out there...

May 7, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #32,523 of 155,141
The term is supposed to come from the cat of nine tails, a whip sometimes used on ship board for punishment. You need enough room to swing the whip.

May 7, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #32,525 of 155,141
I'm not part of Schiit but thermal management is one of my specialties. "How" designs avoid burning up is in theory simple. 1) you design the system to conduct heat away from whatever generates it, 2) you provide sufficient conductive surfaces to dissipate that heat to the environment - Jason's designs use the outer case as an important part of that system - and 3) you design a shut down safety switch into the system in case things get too hot, which is usually a "thermostat," meaning a small switch that opens at a specific temperature to turn it off. Most of these reset once the temperature has dropped below a specific band - very much like a miniature of the thermostat in houses we are all familiar with, only mechanical. There are small snap-action thermostat switches designed specifically for this purpose, and normally they are rated at thousands of cycles. If you'd like to learn more, research products from a company named Pepi or Selco for examples.

Actually, we're doing it a bit differently in Vidar.

In the Sumo days, we put an actual mechanical thermal switch. However, those mechanical switches were kinda large and pricey.

So, for Vidar, we went with a pair of tiny board-mounted thermal sensors (SOT-23 sized) that give a real-time, continuous temperature reading back to the microprocessor. If either thermal sensor reports more than 85 degrees C, the microprocessor shuts everything down. Smaller and less expensive than the old system, since we have the microprocessor in place anyway.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 7, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #32,526 of 155,141
Just to share.
Managed to find a good automatic external cooling fans for the Ragnarok and Ygdrassil.

The fans trigger at the specific temp you set it.

One caution: blowing air INTO a Ragnarok is not a great idea. There are internal heatsinks in there that provide important thermal feedback to the overall topology. They really should be at ambient (internal) temperature, not having cold air blown on them. Blowing air on the outside of the case is fine; that's the intended heatsink.

May 7, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #32,527 of 155,141
One caution: blowing air INTO a Ragnarok is not a great idea. There are internal heatsinks in there that provide important thermal feedback to the overall topology. They really should be at ambient (internal) temperature, not having cold air blown on them. Blowing air on the outside of the case is fine; that's the intended heatsink.

Oh no no. The fan on the Ragnarok blows upwards, hence it sucks the hot air out.

The fan on the Yggy blows downwards.

Hope this is ok still.

May 7, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #32,528 of 155,141
Oh no no. The fan on the Ragnarok blows upwards, hence it sucks the hot air out.

The fan on the Yggy blows downwards.

Hope this is ok still.

I would set the fans at a very low level if you want to do this. Ragnarok is designed for a specific amount of convection, pulling air out is still not a wonderful idea. But better than blowing cold air in. (Pulling air out still means sucking cold air in from the sides.)

May 7, 2018 at 12:44 PM Post #32,529 of 155,141
I would set the fans at a very low level if you want to do this. Ragnarok is designed for a specific amount of convection, pulling air out is still not a wonderful idea. But better than blowing cold air in. (Pulling air out still means sucking cold air in from the sides.)

Thanks! will do.

May 7, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #32,530 of 155,141
Actually, we're doing it a bit differently in Vidar.

In the Sumo days, we put an actual mechanical thermal switch. However, those mechanical switches were kinda large and pricey.

So, for Vidar, we went with a pair of tiny board-mounted thermal sensors (SOT-23 sized) that give a real-time, continuous temperature reading back to the microprocessor. If either thermal sensor reports more than 85 degrees C, the microprocessor shuts everything down. Smaller and less expensive than the old system, since we have the microprocessor in place anyway.
An excellent way to crack the nut.

May 7, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #32,531 of 155,141

On this note, what would be the optimal internal temp of the Ragnarok?

May 7, 2018 at 1:15 PM Post #32,532 of 155,141
I've always found different types of beer taste very different according to the vessel they are packaged in. Some examples below.

Coors Original
Great on tap, ok from the bottle, better if bottle poured into glass, can is meh whether or not you pour it into a glass.

Miller high Life, crap in a can, heaven in a bottle, tap is just ok. Highly sensitive to light. Don't buy a six pack.

Coors light - on tap or in can it's like water. Best straight from the bottle.

Budweiser, as long as you put it in a glass it's good

Shocktop/Bluemoon/Any Belgian Wheat - serve in a glass.

Miller light, only good from the can, or poured in a glass with a dill pickle spear, green olives also work.

Grain Belt Premium - Tap and can suck, only good from bottle, and only if on ice. Not a fridge beer.

Old Milwaukee, don't laugh. If you find it on tap, enjoy it. It's reminds me of expensive German imports. Avoid the cans.

I'm forgetting many others, I've a kegerator in my basement, and some very nice ravenhead glass crystal pub pints, from England.

Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #32,533 of 155,141
The term for a beer sommelier is cicerone. You might well qualify!

Bluemoon served in a glass with a slice of orange is my preference.

May 7, 2018 at 1:32 PM Post #32,535 of 155,141
The term for a beer sommelier is cicerone. You might well qualify!

Bluemoon served in a glass with a slice of orange is my preference.

I used to drink alot of Bluemoon that way, then I had Shocktop with orange. Now I can barely drink Bluemoon. Funny things taste buds. Very similar beers, but I much prefer Shocktop.

I must admit I'm a bit of a cheap beer snob. I love going to micro brewries, but I find it difficult to find beers I thoroughly love. Too many brewries have too strong of a focus on ipa and exotic hops. I like lagers, pilsners, stouts, wheat biers, brown ales, etc.

Unless I'm having a beer with a meal, I want them easy drinking.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back