Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 7, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #32,536 of 152,968
Speaking of beer, and music.

Long Neck Bottles by Captain Beefheart. He was in a high school band with Frank Zappa. Zappa called him weird. Beefheart is not for everyone but some of his lyrics are amazing. I once sent his song Orange Claw Hammer to a friend in Rochester New York. She asked me to please never send her music again lol. Zappa and he performed the song together once.

May 7, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #32,537 of 152,968
My 1st beer was at 17. Me and a buddy were driving a dune buggy along the beach all afternoon. It was a very hot and humid day and we came across this dive bar and decided to step in. It was the off-season so we were the only ones in the place. It was a dark dingy bar with working air conditioning and a bartender that seemed unconcerned by the fact we were underage teens. We sat at the bar and looked around seeing a neon Schlitz sign glowing gloriously and flickering as to say "hey look at me". -- so that is what we ordered (not knowing anything about beer). To this very day, that Schlitz draft beer poured in a cold, icy glass that looked like it was chiseled out of a solid block of ice, remains the best beer I've ever had!!

(I've never had another Schlitz and never will for fear that it will destroy one of my fondest beer memories.)

Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #32,538 of 152,968
Lol yeah you best savor that memory.

May 7, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #32,539 of 152,968
My 1st beer was at 17. Me and a buddy were driving a dune buggy along the beach all afternoon. It was a hot and humid day and we came across this dive bar and decided to step in. We were the only ones in the place. It was a dark dingy place with working air conditioning and a bartender that seemed unconcerned by the fact we were underage teens. We looked around and saw a Schlitz sign, so that is what we ordered (not knowing anything about beer). That Schlitz draft beer in a glass that looked like it was chiseled out of ice, still remains the best beer I've ever had!!

(I've never had another Schlitz and never will for fear that it will destroy one of my fondest beer memories.)

My first beer was at age 12, I had just gotten done with a day of throwing 80-90 lb hay bales and chasing cows. My grandparents were dairy farmers in central MN. My grandfather and I were in the garage, and he said I had worked hard enough to have a "cold" beer. It was a can of Schlitz. 90 degree day and his idea of a cold beer was one that had been out of the sun all day. It was room temp, and to this day the grossest thing I have ever tried. He was an old Fin, and some of those guys liked their beer in the European style. I'm still not sure if he thought it was cold, or was trying to deter me from drinking, maybe both. It worked for awhile.

Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #32,540 of 152,968
I've had no heat issues, nice open all around stand design allows for good airflow.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

May 7, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #32,541 of 152,968
It was a can of Schlitz. 90 degree day and his idea of a cold beer was one that had been out of the sun all day. It was room temp, and to this day the grosset thing I have ever tried.

OMG!!!! A room temp can of Schlitz!!?? Foisting that onto an unsuspecting 12 year old definitely classifies as child abuse!! I suspect that ruined you for beer until you were well into adulthood. :dizzy_face:

Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #32,542 of 152,968
I am not a huge Stephen King fan but the scene in Shawshank Redemption comes to mind, most any cold beer can taste good under the right circumstances.

My hot weather drinks are usually beer, margaritas, and sangria.

Fall and winter. Hot buttered rum, scotch, and some quality bourbons.

In between, rum and coke. Pappa's Pilar 24 year old dark rum, Ron Zacapa XO

wine is for pairing with dinner most any season

Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 1:57 PM Post #32,543 of 152,968
I've had no heat issues, nice open all around stand design allows for good airflow.
GetAttachmentThumbnail

I like what you did with your Jot and Lyr3(?) looks beefier

May 7, 2018 at 1:59 PM Post #32,544 of 152,968
May 7, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #32,545 of 152,968
On this note, what would be the optimal internal temp of the Ragnarok?

It should track the chassis fairly closely, in an ideal scenario. Most amplifiers want to keep all the components running at about the same temperature, for bias stability.

The fancy word for this is "isothermal."

Fun fact: got a speaker power amp you hate? Got a can of freeze spray? Start spraying random parts (especially if you know where the Vbe multiplier is) and get ready to watch the magic smoke come out. Not being isothermal can provoke some very bad things.

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
May 7, 2018 at 2:45 PM Post #32,546 of 152,968
My favorite local AZ beer is Kiltlifter by the Four Peaks Brewery. They were just acquired by Inbev, so it might start appearing nation wide. Look for it.

Ableza, So, I see you're an Arizona man :wink: Your writing about Four Peaks Brewery brought back fond memories. I first visited the place years ago, right after they opened for business. I really like that little area/pocket of old industrial buildings.

BTW: I also recall successfully perpetrating more than a few underage 6-pack buys at Jerry's Liquors on Rural Road --way back in the day...

I'm an AZ native, having grown up in Tempe. I spent most of my first 25 years of life (I'm 49 now) living in a nice little neighborhood adjacent to Daley Park, about 2-blocks south of the ASU campus.

I'm a bit disheartened to hear Four Peaks has become absorbed into the giant all-consuming corporate amoeba that is Inbev --sign of the times...

Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 3:07 PM Post #32,547 of 152,968
Jason, FWIW I'd like to decloak from lurk mode and throw my 2 cents in on future products as a happy current owner.

I think Pietro's comments about basically merging Ragnarok and Freya make a lot of sense for a Rag 2. They kind of step on each other's toes a bit in terms of features/purpose already.

We could nickname it the Fragglerock. :)

But. The product merging I really want to see is Freya and Yggrasil to form a full function pre-amp. I've read this thread since the beginning so I know you guys have been averse to this historically, but it feels like a logical next step now that you are doing 2-chanel stuff like Vidar. The 2-channel niche seems to be a growing one and I think it fits into where Schiit seems to be going pretty well.

You could dumb it down a bit (like a Gumby + Freya fusion) to control the price point, but as a happy Yggy owner I would gladly throw $3k at a Yggy + Freya fusion.

Mike says you really have to hear Yggy on speakers to fully appreciate it, and I would love to. But..... to do that today the system would be: Sources >>> Yggdrasil >>> Freya >>> Monoblock amps >>> speakers, and in order to change source selections I would be walking over to the Yggy. Not the end of the world, but clunky for a system that is multi-purpose and used for more than just dedicated music listening. As it stands it feels too compromised a solution for the dollars being spent.

A true pre-amp merging Yggy and Freya feature sets resolves two major pain points: the number of components in the system overall (and associated cables lying everywhere), and remote control operation for all important functions including the sources rather than just volume control. This would "declunkify" the solution enough for me to go for it.

I don't know how many people have a system with needs like mine, but you would have at least one excited buyer in line.

Last edited:
May 7, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #32,548 of 152,968
My first beer was at age 12, I had just gotten done with a day of throwing 80-90 lb hay bales and chasing cows. My grandparents were dairy farmers in central MN. My grandfather and I were in the garage, and he said I had worked hard enough to have a "cold" beer. It was a can of Schlitz. 90 degree day and his idea of a cold beer was one that had been out of the sun all day. It was room temp, and to this day the grossest thing I have ever tried. He was an old Fin, and some of those guys liked their beer in the European style. I'm still not sure if he thought it was cold, or was trying to deter me from drinking, maybe both. It worked for awhile.

Us Finns actually warm our beers before drinking them. Otherwise they would be frozen solid.

May 7, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #32,550 of 152,968
There are some warm drinks I like, sake, irish coffee or enhanced coffee, hot-buttered rum, but not so much beer. It is what you get used to I suppose.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back