Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 7, 2018 at 5:20 AM Post #32,506 of 155,149
The brewery you can walk to across the Schiit parking lot: www.pocockbrewing.com

The brewery you can walk to from the Schiitr: https://www.facebook.com/brewerydraconum/

Amazing hyperlocal beers: www.ojaivalleybrewing.com

There are literally too many to list around here. Five Threads, Enegren, MacLeod, Lincoln, VCBC, Poseidon, Surf, BrewLab, Captain Fatty's, and at least a dozen more. Almost everyone has something great, depends on what you're looking for

Not that I needed a good reason to visit the Schittr, but this adds several more :)

Pity it's a 16 hour flight (and the associated costs.....) :frowning2:

May 7, 2018 at 7:02 AM Post #32,507 of 155,149
The brewery you can walk to across the Schiit parking lot: www.pocockbrewing.com

The brewery you can walk to from the Schiitr: https://www.facebook.com/brewerydraconum/

Amazing hyperlocal beers: www.ojaivalleybrewing.com

There are literally too many to list around here. Five Threads, Enegren, MacLeod, Lincoln, VCBC, Poseidon, Surf, BrewLab, Captain Fatty's, and at least a dozen more. Almost everyone has something great, depends on what you're looking for.

In Colorado, you can't swing a cat without hitting a craft brewery. Boulder and Ft. Collins are a pair of hotspots I know reasonably well.

May 7, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #32,508 of 155,149
Just to share.
Managed to find a good automatic external cooling fans for the Ragnarok and Ygdrassil.

The fans trigger at the specific temp you set it.
647C1A59-53D3-4FE2-9124-A113E56F7BBE.jpeg

May 7, 2018 at 9:34 AM Post #32,509 of 155,149
In Colorado, you can't swing a cat without hitting a craft brewery. Boulder and Ft. Collins are a pair of hotspots I know reasonably well.

Please remember to ask Costanza nicely before you swing her around hitting craft breweries :)

May 7, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #32,511 of 155,149
May 7, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #32,512 of 155,149
It may help Ragnarok, but since Ygdrasil is a sealed case [the "vent holes" on the top are cosmetic], it does nothing.

I agree. Though I live in southeast asia where a typical day ranges from 33-35 degrees celcius. This is just for good measure. Ive flipped the fan to blow downwards.

May 7, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #32,513 of 155,149
May 7, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #32,514 of 155,149
We have a couple of local breweries here. These are particularly good.

http://www.priesttownbrewing.com/

All this beer talk is making me thirsty, and it’s only 8.43am here!
Yeah, all this beer talk, how did I survive the weekend! Keeping up with this thread is like laying under a keg with the tap open.
Thankfully it's Monday morning and I think wife and I can hold out til our weekly walk to the pizza pub for Yuengling tonight...... it's afternoon in England, yeah, that's close enough......

May 7, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #32,516 of 155,149
Very good. 125 degrees at the fins just means some nice good class A bias doing its work. I am going to audition the 1.7i at a local dealer when my Dad is in town later this month. Looking forward to it.

Thermal shutdown is at 85 degrees C, pretty much the same I've used since the Sumo days.

However, the tips of the fins will be a good bit less than that--the sensors are near the outputs, low on the heat sink.

As a newcomer to personal audio, I’m still trying to get used to the heat released by my little silver boxes (Loki, Modi, and to a lesser extent, Magni). No cooling fins.... No pans... no heat pipes... just the chasis conducting heat away from the electronics. It was drummed into my head with PComputers (heat exposure = failure + bad). 85C thermal shut-down, eh. I wonder if there’s a temperature-sensitive component tucked on the red circuit board that opens the circuit (allows the device to cool down, it resets and then closes the circuit)? I pestered “Tom E.” at Schiit Service. I was hoping he’d explain HOW the devices avoid overheating. While he wouldn’t disclose HOW my boxes avoid burning up, he assured me (that my Loki) will safely run warm (btw, his response was fair... Tom E’s job is to repair, not jabber at me).

Love this stuff. Marvellous technology!

May 7, 2018 at 9:57 AM Post #32,517 of 155,149

One trick I used to use, back when there was a good local supplier of surplus junk, was to use 4 or 5 inch square muffin fans for 240 volts. At 120 vac, they moved enough air, quietly, and didn't overheat. Unfortunately, old fans tend to have worn bearings, so you have to check carefully before you use them.

May 7, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #32,518 of 155,149
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way. - Mark Twain

May 7, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #32,519 of 155,149
As a newcomer to personal audio, I’m still trying to get used to the heat released by my little silver boxes (Loki, Modi, and to a lesser extent, Magni). No cooling fins.... No pans... no heat pipes... just the chasis conducting heat away from the electronics. It was drummed into my head with PComputers (heat exposure = failure + bad). 85C thermal shut-down, eh. I wonder if there’s a temperature-sensitive component tucked on the red circuit board that opens the circuit (allows the device to cool down, it resets and then closes the circuit)? I pestered “Tom E.” at Schiit Service. I was hoping he’d explain HOW the devices avoid overheating. While he wouldn’t disclose HOW my boxes avoid burning up, he assured me (that my Loki) will safely run warm (btw, his response was fair... Tom E’s job is to repair, not jabber at me).

Love this stuff. Marvellous technology!
I'm not part of Schiit but thermal management is one of my specialties. "How" designs avoid burning up is in theory simple. 1) you design the system to conduct heat away from whatever generates it, 2) you provide sufficient conductive surfaces to dissipate that heat to the environment - Jason's designs use the outer case as an important part of that system - and 3) you design a shut down safety switch into the system in case things get too hot, which is usually a "thermostat," meaning a small switch that opens at a specific temperature to turn it off. Most of these reset once the temperature has dropped below a specific band - very much like a miniature of the thermostat in houses we are all familiar with, only mechanical. There are small snap-action thermostat switches designed specifically for this purpose, and normally they are rated at thousands of cycles. If you'd like to learn more, research products from a company named Pepi or Selco for examples.

May 7, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #32,520 of 155,149
Schiit can obviously be stacked on a desktop, I get cautious when I place any equipment inside a cabinet with little air flow, all of my amps are on shelves with an open front (no glass door) and even an open back. There is plenty of air flow around them and I have had no issues with heat no matter what pieces I use. I am especially careful with tube amps if I add them to the same case as other amps since the tubes themselves generate a lot of heat. I tend to leave more room for them. It is not too hard to find digital meters with thermal probes so if I have any doubts I check ambient temperatures.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back