Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 30, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #32,176 of 149,297
... All fabrics have some tendency to build up a static charge, but synthetics like nylon, polyester and acrylic are particularly good at generating, and then holding on to, static charge...
Yes, a problem with synthetics is you don't know what they are going to come up against, I had a white acrylic cricket jumper and if I wore it over a nylon shirt when I took the jumper off the sparking would light up a dark room. (acrylic and nylon are opposite "polarities")

May 1, 2018 at 12:27 AM Post #32,178 of 149,297
The remote alone makes me excited about a potential new Ragnarok. I envision a HT setup where I can easily switch from watching TV and using external speakers, to jamming out to music, all from my couch and not needing to get up to change the volume. The potential new Ragnarok and a pair of LS50s would be an apartment renters dream come true.

May 1, 2018 at 5:06 AM Post #32,179 of 149,297
B23C9B13-0897-46C0-BCEA-8B955AFE9FBF.jpeg
Mention of The Zombies prompted me to dig this fine set out. All your Zombie needs catered for in one handy place.

The remote alone makes me excited about a potential new Ragnarok. I envision a HT setup where I can easily switch from watching TV and using external speakers, to jamming out to music, all from my couch and not needing to get up to change the volume. The potential new Ragnarok and a pair of LS50s would be an apartment renters dream come true.

On a similar note, can anyone recomend a switching box that allows two amplifiers to be connected to one pair of speakers? A sort of Sys for speakers.

May 1, 2018 at 5:39 AM Post #32,180 of 149,297
On this I stand corrected although I did read that Lord of the Rings was written between 1937 and 1949 so an article I read may have used this a basis for using WW2 as a factor. My wife is a bit of a Tolkien scholar and I should have talked to her before I made that statement. She basically said if any war influenced him it was WW1 since he served and lived through that. Tolkien also did not believe in allegory. I do believe several people want to draw comparisons between it and WW2 or it and Stalin but you are more correct because of Tolkien's own words. When an author makes such a statement, I am apt to believe it.

I am not exactly young myself, I was in college when the moon landing occurred.

Don't feel bad. I'd thought the same thing about LOTR and WW2 until reading otherwise.

Alright, I guess I'm merely a junior geezer...

May 1, 2018 at 8:06 AM Post #32,182 of 149,297
Don't feel bad. I'd thought the same thing about LOTR and WW2 until reading otherwise.

Alright, I guess I'm merely a junior geezer...

It has been years since I read LOTR but I do recall it has one of the best examples ever of deus ex machina with the eagle rescue.

May 1, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #32,183 of 149,297

Mention of The Zombies prompted me to dig this fine set out. All your Zombie needs catered for in one handy place.

On a similar note, can anyone recomend a switching box that allows two amplifiers to be connected to one pair of speakers? A sort of Sys for speakers.

There are some mechanical switch boxes on amazon, in my experience anything like that with one in, two out is bi-directional and you can use two in, one out. I would only turn one amp on at a time if it were me. I say this because some are setup as A or B or A plus B.

Last night I was listening to some vintage Kinks and found the song Stop your Sobbing from 1964 I believe. Re-released in the 80's by the Pretenders.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #32,184 of 149,297
What we all keep forgetting here is Jason's announcement of something where not expecting very soon.
Is that another surprise like the Loki Mini was?
I wonder.
Uh.. Jason... I can always test appareil for you in this hostile European environment.
I've no money but I have extremely good ears.

I'm thinking if it's not Sol related that it could possible be a Mani 2 (they have been on backorder for a while now and aren't showing to be shipping until May 24) or maybe even a new phono pre-amp with more bells & whistles...

May 1, 2018 at 9:05 AM Post #32,185 of 149,297
I have most everything Chesky has done and I believe he does most of his recordings in churches just for the acoustics. He does not add reverb, if there is any, it occurs naturally.

On one album you hear raindrops hitting the roof in a song or two. There is spacing but on a couple songs you get a very good idea if the musician is standing or sitting. I own many thousands of albums but, these are among my favorite recordings as far as the quality of the process and finished result.

Sorry for a bit of a necro-reply, but others may be interested in this as well.

That album is Melissa Menago's "little crimes" from Chesky records.

I found reviews that mentioned the rain pattering on the roof, but as I listen to it, it sounds more like rain hitting the ground outside of open windows, or through an open door. The audio phillistine in me thought perhaps the recording engineer was trying a bit too hard to get the ambience of rain in the recording. But then I found an on-line picture of the venue: https://www.discogs.com/label/1125674-The-Hirsch-Center/images . It certainly looks like the upper level bump-up windows (apologies for my lack of proper architectural names) could be open and let the sound of rain hitting the roof into the room.

It sounds real nice on a mimby > magni 3 > e-mu teaks :) [on-topic, yeah!]

May 1, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #32,187 of 149,297
Sorry for a bit of a necro-reply, but others may be interested in this as well.

That album is Melissa Menago's "little crimes" from Chesky records.

I found reviews that mentioned the rain pattering on the roof, but as I listen to it, it sounds more like rain hitting the ground outside of open windows, or through an open door. The audio phillistine in me thought perhaps the recording engineer was trying a bit too hard to get the ambience of rain in the recording. But then I found an on-line picture of the venue: https://www.discogs.com/label/1125674-The-Hirsch-Center/images . It certainly looks like the upper level bump-up windows (apologies for my lack of proper architectural names) could be open and let the sound of rain hitting the roof into the room.

It sounds real nice on a mimby > magni 3 > e-mu teaks :) [on-topic, yeah!]

I got the impression that it was not intentional and the recordings are never doctored so it was left in the recording. Having a photo of the building certainly does help.

It is so slight that you do need good equipment to hear it. I do believe some songs intentionally add rain and or thunder. I want to say Summer Rain performed by Johnny Rivers has it but I am not in a position to play it right now.

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 9:43 AM Post #32,188 of 149,297
Yes, a problem with synthetics is you don't know what they are going to come up against, I had a white acrylic cricket jumper and if I wore it over a nylon shirt when I took the jumper off the sparking would light up a dark room. (acrylic and nylon are opposite "polarities")

I just received some cotton and silk mesh from an audio supplier in Russia, cotton I have used before but silk will be new to me. When using nylon in a three or four wire braid, it is definitely rougher to the touch and perhaps that is part of the "mechanical" reason microphonics come into play with it. This is from Wikipedia:

Microphonics or microphony describes the phenomenon wherein certain components in electronic devices transform mechanical vibrations into an undesired electrical signal (noise). The term comes from analogy with a microphone, which is intentionally designed to convert vibrations to electrical signals.

I know of cable builders who have tried various means to keep this noise down, looser wraps of the fabric on wire, providing a spacing between sections of the fabric, etc. but the materials themselves do play a part. I have some nylon mesh that was on a cable for several years and constant use has produced a softer texture and it seems far less microphonic than newer mesh of the same type. I build such cables for myself and friends so it is something I think about.CHC cans.jpg

May 1, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #32,189 of 149,297
Now here was I thinking the sound was rain splattering on dark 6mm terracotta tiles on a sandy underground.
Mmm... well I'm known to be wrong once or twice.

I know you're just being snarky [and I take no offense], but there is a different sound to rain hitting the roof over your head, or hitting the ground around you, and it sounded like the latter to me. But given the layout of the building, it is possible for the "ground around you" sound to be coming from the roof, making both correct. I attribute the fact I can hear it to the schiitty equipment I was using, and no plankton fairy dust golden ears on my part.

May 1, 2018 at 10:00 AM Post #32,190 of 149,297
I know of cable builders who have tried various means to keep this noise down, looser wraps of the fabric on wire, providing a spacing between sections of the fabric, etc. but the materials themselves do play a part. I have some nylon mesh that was on a cable for several years and constant use has produced a softer texture and it seems far less microphonic than newer mesh of the same type. I build such cables for myself and friends so it is something I think about.

This is where cryogenics come in handy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back