Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 30, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #32,161 of 150,749
A voice of reason, well said Jimmers. Personally I am trying to figure out why Time of the Season by the Zombies sounds so much better on balanced output compared to TRS. Same source same DAC.
Source material, I think they used some type of reverb channel in that song during mixing/mastering. Such a classic!

Apr 30, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #32,162 of 150,749
yep, whenever I locate their music I might listen to two songs, but Time of the Season is sure one of them. I changed back and forth a couple times and the stereo separation was so much higher in balanced mode.

Apr 30, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #32,163 of 150,749
... Natural materials like cotton and silk are less likely to produce static discharge to the best of my knowledge.
Cotton is neutral, silk is not. Didn't you ever do the - rubbing a glass rod with a silk cloth - static test at school? Silk and Teflon (and many other polymer insulators) would generate static.
static.gif

... switching power supply (assuming that's what it is, of course.)
Where ?

Apr 30, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #32,164 of 150,749
Cotton is neutral, silk is not. Didn't you ever do the - rubbing a glass rod with a silk cloth - static test at school? Silk and Teflon (and many other polymer insulators) would generate static.
static.gif
That's the reason for lubrication :)

Apr 30, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #32,166 of 150,749
IMG_1679.JPG
static.gif

Where ?

Those two things together do a good job of creating static, In wire covering I was talking about cotton and silk are generally preferred over nylon or plastic and the static in question stems from microphonics, a mechanical vibration like a cable rubbing against your arm or shirt producing an electrical signal.

The amount of static that builds up on your clothes depends on the material and how dry the atmosphere is. All fabrics have some tendency to build up a static charge, but synthetics like nylon, polyester and acrylic are particularly good at generating, and then holding on to, static charge.

A statement like this caused me to to group natural materials as more suitable.

Silk does not hold a static charge well compared to other materials that are used for cable covering, paracord as an example. I generally use cotton and silk and of the two cotton is probably better. The mesh I used for Pietro's build is not real common but they do use a lot of cotton and it protrudes above the nylon mesh so that is what generally rubs against clothing on a headphone cable.

Also I am used to talking to people about microphonics in cable covering. I do a lof of this stuff as do many on here.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #32,167 of 150,749
I thought the blue transformer was a switching module. It's not.

I was kind of curious about that myself but i had rushed through the build without looking at the schematic or parts that closely so I hesitated answering.

Apr 30, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #32,168 of 150,749
One only has to look at the time frame in which The Lord of the Rings was written to understand the analogies to WW2. There was also a basis in mythology and lore for many of Tolkien's characters and cities.

From the foreword to The Lord of the Rings: "Its sources are things long before in mind, or in some cases already written, and little or nothing in it was modified by the war that began in 1939 or its sequels."

The foreword goes on to describe how it would have been different had WW2 been the inspiration. I read somewhere that the book was written largely because Tolkien was disheartened by the industrialization of Europe and the disappearance of agrarian society.

Jon (another old geezer)

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #32,169 of 150,749
On this I stand corrected although I did read that Lord of the Rings was written between 1937 and 1949 so an article I read may have used this a basis for using WW2 as a factor. My wife is a bit of a Tolkien scholar and I should have talked to her before I made that statement. She basically said if any war influenced him it was WW1 since he served and lived through that. Tolkien also did not believe in allegory. I do believe several people want to draw comparisons between it and WW2 or it and Stalin but you are more correct because of Tolkien's own words. When an author makes such a statement, I am apt to believe it.

I am not exactly young myself, I was in college when the moon landing occurred.

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #32,172 of 150,749
And kittens grow to be cats. I saw a version of the Ortmeter, interesting. I have mounted, in the nicest possible way, a few VU meters myself.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 8:38 PM Post #32,174 of 150,749
I couple friends here mentioned you but I had not had the honor of meeting you myself as yet.

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #32,175 of 150,749
"Nontrepreneurs" such as I tend to make nothing of worth to the public unless making a fool of oneself is deemed of value! Perhaps it is because hindsight is never 20/20 when one's head is up one's butt. Having pointed out the obvious, I should like to state that listening to music has occupied me more than usual these last couple of weeks due to eye problems. I need to take some time to catch up on this thread so other than the silliness I posted prior to this here drivel, I shall refrain from more positing of thoughts until I have read more of all of your thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back