Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 1, 2018 at 10:20 AM Post #32,191 of 151,379
This is where cryogenics come in handy.

Cryogenics is a can of worms I do not wish to open in regards to wire and or connectors. I will just say I test for many things and oftentimes use people with far younger ears than my own in my research but it is not easy to measure fairy dust. I do have some cryo treated wire that will be tested against other wire I have obtained. This is not a quick process but I am always curious about such things. This is part of my test setup. downstairs.jpg On The right are three pairs of different wire types I can switch in and out with the push of a button. They go from the same headphone amp to the same headphones, ceteris paribus (all other things being equal). Only when all materials are tested will I know which material is which. Cryo, or silver plated, or litz or OCC or whatever. I can also test for noise generated by different mesh materials.

May 1, 2018 at 10:34 AM Post #32,193 of 151,379
Now there is an idea!

There are some folks that sell cryo treated products so I am used to hearing the term used in that regard. It is one of the variables included in my testing.

By the way, soon I will give you info on the package heading your way.

May 1, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #32,195 of 151,379
From the foreword to The Lord of the Rings: "Its sources are things long before in mind, or in some cases already written, and little or nothing in it was modified by the war that began in 1939 or its sequels."

The foreword goes on to describe how it would have been different had WW2 been the inspiration. I read somewhere that the book was written largely because Tolkien was disheartened by the industrialization of Europe and the disappearance of agrarian society.

Jon (another old geezer)
There is an excellent documentary by Nat Geo on Tolkien and The Lord Of The Rings.

May 1, 2018 at 10:53 AM Post #32,196 of 151,379
There is an excellent documentary by Nat Geo on Tolkien and The Lord Of The Rings.

I will have to look for that. I probably read the book in the early seventies. It is still considered one of the top fantasy novels of all time, behind it come things like The Name of the Wind, and The Lies of Locke Lamora. I am up to date on those series. I am in four book groups but I need to take some time away from a couple of them to keep up on some of my preferred reading.

May 1, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #32,197 of 151,379
I thought it was an isolation transformer for the supply voltages.

It has been a lot of years since I studied transformer theory but with 120 v ac in and as I recall about 24 volts ac out, I do believe it is just a step down transformer. That in itself can be considered isolation.

Now in a switch mode power supply if you are hooking up any test equipment you had better be using an isolation transformer, that much I do recall from my days with some TV's and computer monitors.

May 1, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #32,198 of 151,379
I will have to look for that. I probably read the book in the early seventies. It is still considered one of the top fantasy novels of all time, behind it come things like The Name of the Wind, and The Lies of Locke Lamora. I am up to date on those series. I am in four book groups but I need to take some time away from a couple of them to keep up on some of my preferred reading.
I have read around 4-5 times, The Hobbit 2, The Simarilion . There is also an interesting article on the web that compares the Lord Of the Rings with Wagner's Ring series, by a Jamie McGregor. Two Rings To Rule Them All, A Comparative Study Of Tolkien and Wagner.
Also here is the DVD
https://www.amazon.com/National-Geo...n&refinements=p_n_theme_browse-bin:2650367011

May 1, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #32,199 of 151,379
When I was a much younger fellow I was much intrigued by Tolkein and the Trilogy. My remembrance is that the stories started as tales read to his children and that he used to speak at great link with C. S. Lewis and others, at a pub as I recall, about the stories and the publishing of these stories. To my great relief they were published and I think I've read them and The Hobbitt 4 times over the years.

Speaking of Name of the Wind, I hope Rothfuss publishes a conclusion before he passes on, or me for that matter. It appears he may have A Wheel to Time problem(death before the last book) or Game of Thrones issue(writer's block). I guess I can watch the HBO version of the conclusion next year. LOL

May 1, 2018 at 11:14 AM Post #32,200 of 151,379
When I was a much younger fellow I was much intrigued by Tolkein and the Trilogy. My remembrance is that the stories started as tales read to his children and that he used to speak at great link with C. S. Lewis and others, at a pub as I recall, about the stories and the publishing of these stories. To my great relief they were published and I think I've read them and The Hobbitt 4 times over the years.

Speaking of Name of the Wind, I hope Rothfuss publishes a conclusion before he passes on, or me for that matter. It appears he may have A Wheel to Time problem(death before the last book) or Game of Thrones issue(writer's block). I guess I can watch the HBO version of the conclusion next year. LOL
I believe that group was called the Inklings, Charles Williams was a member also. He wrote some outstanding stories The War In Heaven, Descent Into Hell and others.

May 1, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #32,201 of 151,379

There are plenty of people waiting for the conclusion of The Name of The Wind lol. For about four years I have heard he is still editing the final book.

May 1, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #32,202 of 151,379
I believe that group was called the Inklings, Charles Williams was a member also. He wrote some outstanding stories The War In Heaven, Descent Into Hell and others.

Somewhere I have a fairly new book about the Inklings, I have a long commute so I have a few hundred books on Audible and I know that is in there somewhere.

May 1, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #32,203 of 151,379
Am I the only one to pick up on this prophetic video.....a TOAD eating a SNAKE with a curious CAT lending support?

Ominous.

Garter snake skin has the lowest microphonics of all, or so I'm toad.*

*any garden variety will do

Last edited:
May 1, 2018 at 11:31 AM Post #32,204 of 151,379
Am I the only one to pick up on this prophetic video.....a TOAD eating a SNAKE with a curious CAT lending support?

Ominous.

Gartter snake skin has the lowest microphonics of all, or so I'm toad.

I am reminded of a Grateful Dead lyric from Casey Jones. From the snakes point of view that is.

Trouble ahead, trouble behind
And you know that notion just crossed my mind

May 1, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #32,205 of 151,379
There is also an interesting article on the web that compares the Lord Of the Rings with Wagner's Ring series, by a Jamie McGregor. Two Rings To Rule Them All, A Comparative Study Of Tolkien and Wagner.
Also here is the DVD
https://www.amazon.com/National-Geographic-Beyond-Movie-Fellowship/dp/B00005UV3Q/ref=sr_1_11?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1525187252&sr=1-11&keywords=Tolkien&refinements=p_n_theme_browse-bin:2650367011

The comparison goes even further, in that the score writer for the movies used leitmotifs in the style of Wagner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_of_The_Lord_of_the_Rings_film_series

but since this involves opera, it's probably better suited to Baldr's thread :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back