Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 30, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #32,146 of 150,730
I still contend that Gandalf should be used as a Schiit amp name.

Gandalf (Gandálfr) is a Dvergr (Norse dwarf) in Norse mythology, appearing in the so-called 'Tally of the Dwarves' within the poem Völuspá from the Poetic Edda, as well as in the Prose Edda. The name derives from the Old Norse words gandr (magic staff) and álfr (elf), thus a protective spirit who wields a magical wand.

Heck there are Tolkien followers who would buy it just for the name. Put it in a grey case and I would most likely buy one no matter what it does.

Same with Valkyrie, name an amp that and they could tap into the Wagner and Apocalypse Now crowd. I would consider buying two of those just by the name alone lol.

Selecting among half of those who die in battle (the other half go to the goddess Freyja's afterlife field Fólkvangr), the valkyries bring their chosen to the afterlife hall of the slain, Valhalla, ruled over by the god Odin.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #32,148 of 150,730
Apr 30, 2018 at 10:56 AM Post #32,149 of 150,730
OK thank you. By the way I used their B1 JFET buffer for my little integrated amp design and found it to be clean and to sound good.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 11:35 AM Post #32,150 of 150,730
Very cool, I probably should have paid more attention to the circuitry but last weekend was hectic for me and I mainly just stuffed the board and fired it up. My biggest problem was not scratching up the Hammond case, I was fortunate to find time to cook beef fillets over the firepit and enjoy some French wine. steaks.jpg wine.jpg

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #32,151 of 150,730
With permission I can say I built this for Pietro as a favor, I showed him a couple drab colors knowing full well he would go for the purple, more of a royal color, a flamboyant color. It shines well under certain light yet is more subdued in normal ambient light.
I'm building my reputation as a Freeloading Old Geezer.
Doctor Who?
Makes me feel young again, like a millennial.
It also makes me very happy to be able to try out so much.
Tomorrow it's to the food bank on my new bike.

Apr 30, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #32,153 of 150,730
Being a member of the trade I am not allowed to sell products through here but I have given a few things away which is acceptable as I recall. Generally I only send free cables to people who live in the Netherlands and who have a cat named Constanza though.val-8.JPG

Apr 30, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #32,155 of 150,730
Totally off-topic, I was summoned by my sister-in-law on Sunday because her stereo didn't work. Initial diagnostics revealed that the power cord to the amp was missing. Not just unplugged - missing. After locating a replacement power cord (thank heavens that the IEC plug makes power cables easy to find) only the right speaker made sound. Further investigation of the left speaker revealed that the speaker cable had been inserted so deeply into the binding posts that the insulation was the only thing in contact with the binding post. After having rectified that everything worked beautifully and family tranquility was reestablished.

Ah, the joys of being the family tech support!

Apr 30, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #32,156 of 150,730
I still contend that Gandalf should be used as a Schiit amp name.

Gandalf (Gandálfr) is a Dvergr (Norse dwarf) in Norse mythology, appearing in the so-called 'Tally of the Dwarves' within the poem Völuspá from the Poetic Edda, as well as in the Prose Edda. The name derives from the Old Norse words gandr (magic staff) and álfr (elf), thus a protective spirit who wields a magical wand.

Heck there are Tolkien followers who would buy it just for the name. Put it in a grey case and I would most likely buy one no matter what it does.

Same with Valkyrie, name an amp that and they could tap into the Wagner and Apocalypse Now crowd. I would consider buying two of those just by the name alone lol.

Selecting among half of those who die in battle (the other half go to the goddess Freyja's afterlife field Fólkvangr), the valkyries bring their chosen to the afterlife hall of the slain, Valhalla, ruled over by the god Odin.

"And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

- Gandalf The White

Apr 30, 2018 at 12:27 PM Post #32,157 of 150,730
One only has to look at the time frame in which The Lord of the Rings was written to understand the analogies to WW2. There was also a basis in mythology and lore for many of Tolkien's characters and cities.

Apr 30, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #32,158 of 150,730
"And he that breaks a thing to find out what it is has left the path of wisdom."

- Gandalf The White

Oh well, so much for DIY I guess :)

Apr 30, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #32,160 of 150,730
What we all keep forgetting here is Jason's announcement of something where not expecting very soon.
Is that another surprise like the Loki Mini was?
I wonder.
Uh.. Jason... I can always test appareil for you in this hostile European environment.
I've no money but I have extremely good ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back