Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 27, 2018 at 2:23 PM Post #31,981 of 151,950
  • If you like the current Ragnarok, you may hate the new one. It’s a complete rethink in the vein of the Lyr 2/3 changeover—different topology and output, different chassis, different thermal management.
  • It’ll have Vidar heatsinks, so it will run very cool—that’s a ridiculous amount of heatsinking for its power output. Power output will be the same, or nearly the same, as the outgoing version.
  • Of course, it will have remote control.
  • Of course, it will have speakers/headphones/both selectable with a separate control.
  • It will still have 3 gain levels.
  • It’ll use a new topology we haven’t used before, but it will still be differential.
  • I’m holding back a couple of features which I don’t feel like discussing right now, but I think you’ll be excited about.
@Jason Stoddard
So glad to have some information about the new Ragnarok, even if it's still subject to change. I'm just a humble consumer but I'll tell you what I think of it as requested.

As described I have in mind a somewhat aggressive looking silver and black Ragnarok-sized box. I say 'aggressive' because of the shared heatsinks with Vidar, which I assume are on the outside. I think this may reduce WAF factor, which is important to me. I also envision an array of large, Freya-sized preamp tubes which may presumably be turned on and off like Freya. Like Freya, I expect it will have a few additional sets of inputs and outputs. Like the Lyr 2/3 changeover, I have a hunch that it will have one or even two expansion bays where a Bifrost-class multibit DAC and/or phono stage may be installed.

In sum, it seems to me like a Schiitastic but conventional integrated amp. I believe it will compete forcefully with more expensive offerings from the likes of Simaudio like the Moon 340i. Fully decked out, I expect this to me comparable in price to Yggdrasil or perhaps a bit more. Personally I tend to go for the "one box, one job" approach and don't like too much integration. If the Rag 2.0 significantly improves headphone performance and still gives me the functionality I need in a preamp (remote control and HT Bypass for home theater pass through) in a "bare bones" configuration (no modules) in the 1700-1800 range I may still be interested.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #31,982 of 151,950
I doubt that...

I hope Schiit and FedEx can work it out. If not USPS and UPS are still readily available. I have used all 3, FedEx, UPS and USPS for my Schiit purchases and actually had the best luck and prices with the old USPS.

:)

I like USPS for most things, especially lighter weight stuff as I rent a box and that keeps things safe until I pick them up. But I think all my Schiit stuff required my sig.

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #31,983 of 151,950
Good news! FedEx is back!

Long story short, the issue involved the people who got our account info shipping stuff that "wasn't in keeping with the FedEx user agreement." We don't know what that means, but it got various legal entities involved. Once they worked out that WE were not shipping stuff that "wasn't in keeping with the agreement," we got set up with new account numbers, and we're back in business.

Sorry for the detour, and apologies to those of you who prefer UPS, but FedEx is back online.

(With USPS as an option, of course, just like always.)

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 27, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #31,984 of 151,950
@Jason Stoddard
So glad to have some information about the new Ragnarok, even if it's still subject to change.

Subject to change? Reword to "may never happen, or may happen in a future time so far in advance that we may have flying cars." As clearly stated in the chapter, we're talking about things that may or may not come to pass, with no specified timeframe.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 27, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #31,986 of 151,950
OK, in engineeringese, Here is the OrtMeter @ Rev 0.2. I have taken the suggestions of several of you to make the layout horizontally symmetric. Visio-front_panel2.pdf

Please if you all would be so kind, open the pdf and critique. One remaining question is whether to add the handles or not.

Here's my thinking. The handles would look pretty cool, but it is more form than function. The pitch of the handle is 25.4mm or 1 inch. I would probably have to move the meters inward 15 mm.
Might be too crowded. Might look really cool. I am tending to leave them off, or do one with, one without.

Ort, if you are out there lurking, chime in buddy.

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #31,987 of 151,950
OK, in engineeringese, Here is the OrtMeter @ Rev 0.2. I have taken the suggestions of several of you to make the layout horizontally symmetric. Visio-front_panel2.pdf

Please if you all would be so kind, open the pdf and critique. One remaining question is whether to add the handles or not.

Here's my thinking. The handles would look pretty cool, but it is more form than function. The pitch of the handle is 25.4mm or 1 inch. I would probably have to move the meters inward 15 mm.
Might be too crowded. Might look really cool. I am tending to leave them off, or do one with, one without.

Like the new layout. Do not like the handles

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #31,988 of 151,950
Students still make them in physics labs.

Analog broadcasts will stay for a while for mission critical purposes like weather announcements, navigation communications etc. where stable signal required for digital cannot be guarantied.

Let's not forget that HAMs were recruited from US by Puerto Rico after Hurricane Maria.

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:20 PM Post #31,990 of 151,950
Subject to change? Reword to "may never happen, or may happen in a future time so far in advance that we may have flying cars." As clearly stated in the chapter, we're talking about things that may or may not come to pass, with no specified timeframe.
I just couldn't resist...

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:43 PM Post #31,992 of 151,950

It's beautiful and err.. no handles.
I had contact with ORT and he is somewhat under the weather.
Told me he would be back soon.

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #31,994 of 151,950
I like the layout as well, and while I do not know Ort, it looks to be a nice project.

Apr 27, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #31,995 of 151,950
I like the layout as well, and while I do not know Ort, it looks to be a nice project.
The Old Road Toad...hope you get to meet him soon, Tom.
You will love his wit and whimsy...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back