Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 27, 2018 at 6:09 PM Post #31,997 of 151,963
I like the layout as well, and while I do not know Ort, it looks to be a nice project.
Thanks Pal :)
That is a compliment seeing some of your work. Ort's love of VU meters and your help of letmebefrank was a dual inspiration. My son's middle name is Oort, after Jan Oort, so I was prepared to like him.

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:17 PM Post #31,998 of 151,963
Good news! FedEx is back!

Long story short, the issue involved the people who got our account info shipping stuff that "wasn't in keeping with the FedEx user agreement." We don't know what that means, but it got various legal entities involved. Once they worked out that WE were not shipping stuff that "wasn't in keeping with the agreement," we got set up with new account numbers, and we're back in business.

Sorry for the detour, and apologies to those of you who prefer UPS, but FedEx is back online.

(With USPS as an option, of course, just like always.)
I hope you get reimbursed for al the costs they made on your account.
And... isn't there a tool in your admin that correlates shipments with the invoices for them you get?
I mean... shouldn't you have seen the discrepancies yourself?

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:19 PM Post #31,999 of 151,963
That is a compliment seeing some of your work. Ort's love of VU meters and your help of letmebefrank was a dual inspiration. My son's middle name is Oort, after Jan Oort, so I was prepared to like him.
Our famous Dutch stargazer. (said the Italian)

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:20 PM Post #32,000 of 151,963
FedEx (for my company at least) sends monthly statements, so 3 weeks of unauthorized use could go on if you only look at those statements.

My Yaggy upgrade is shipping back to me today via FedEx, and I was momentarily confused when I saw Jason's earlier message about FedEx before reading that it was resolved. This thread moves fast!

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:29 PM Post #32,002 of 151,963
Pre-out if the meters are indeed the same as what I used. Speaker out would be much too high of a power level. 0 to five hundred micro amp. I would do the math for you but it has been a long day and it is time to relax a bit.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #32,003 of 151,963
I hope you get reimbursed for al the costs they made on your account.
And... isn't there a tool in your admin that correlates shipments with the invoices for them you get?
I mean... shouldn't you have seen the discrepancies yourself?

I don't think Jason needs anyone telling him how to run the shipping side of his business....

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #32,004 of 151,963
That is a good point, it is pretty obvious when they are on. Coming out of China, allow about six weeks for delivery and luckily I have an extra set laying around if your pc board is not marked well. I did a complete wiring on the ones on the turntable in about 15 minutes, hopefully you have a hole saw for metal, that will be your biggest task along with any other cutouts you have to make. I like symmetry and being a Gemini I tend to do things in twos anyway, those meters with dual Alps pots and knobs off Fender guitar.

Frank is local and I consider him a good friend. He also has much younger ears than mine so I am always interested in his input on things with which I tinker. I would have felt bad just handing him a Kit so I assembled it and got it ready prior to his last visit. Somehow I managed to purchase four or five of those meter kits figuring I would use more down the road if I modified more amps. At one point I built him some cables along the lines of the Pysst cables but these had a bit more flexibility and did not lift some of the lighter Schiit equipment to which they were attached. It is not uncommon for me to build some high end cables for friends and I certainly experiment with headphone cables, interconnects, and even high end USB cables. In some of my amp builds, the electronics was fairly easy for me so I concentrated on their beauty. I also read a lot of sci-fi so friends at the University here liked the steampunk motif of a couple of my builds. Search the internet for photos of steampunk Bottlehead Crack and some of my work will appear.

Here is a photo of the VU meters with a light in between, it does not look bad at all.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-VU-Me...2112484130?epid=737735827&hash=item48ab5a8f22

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #32,005 of 151,963
I don't think Jason needs anyone telling him how to run the shipping side of his business....

You need to read back in the thread. Please.

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #32,006 of 151,963
The Old Road Toad...hope you get to meet him soon, Tom.
You will love his wit and whimsy...

I am always happy to meet new folks and I think it is great that he took the time to work with such VU meters. Mine have been built into amps so far and on one I used some magic eye tubes. They operate off of about 250 volts. I also have a case of Russian miniature lamps I will do something with one day. Not long ago I built an amp to win a bet and thought I would incorporate some of those there but things get difficult when all documentation occurs in another language. I did have a Russian card partner who could help when she is in town next and I may have to wait for then.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 7:31 PM Post #32,007 of 151,963
IMG_2212.JPG Here is a photo of a magic eye type of tube VU meter I have used before.IMG_2656 (1).JPG Also a photo of a current amp build that will be somewhat portable, I like this switch, fuse, AC outlet combination and if I am not mistaken, I have seen similar used on Schiit equipment. This amp will be small enough that I do not mind reaching around to the back to turn it on and off, only the raised portion will show since the mounting hole bracket will be on the inside. I guessed at the size, but it was but I like the fact I can center it, and on the front will be dual volume controls and an LED most likely. I like the looks of the blue anodized aluminum so it will be a pretty, yet rugged little headphone amp. I am still anxious to play around with the Coaster amp one day.

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #32,010 of 151,963
Thanks for explaining the origin of Ortmeter by the way, for a while there I was scratching my head.:) I have most meters imaginable in my shop and and have done some work with spectrometers even but that was a new one on me till I saw the lay out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back