Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 27, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #32,012 of 153,701
I understand, it was just an example of the configuration more than the bulb color.

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #32,013 of 153,701
Apr 27, 2018 at 8:00 PM Post #32,014 of 153,701
Hams always are doing disaster management, because 1) they love their equipment so it is usually working and 2) they love to be infrastructure-free or low-infrastructure setups.

(ARES member)

A few comments about radio communication, radios (crystal and otherwise) , ham radio, etc...

Yeah, let's not shovel dirt on the coffin of radio yet. Terrestrial radio communication has some unique strengths of survivability, reliability and inter-operability as compared to communication via wired digital networks, satellites etc.

I know Norway just shut down all FM broadcasting in favor of digital. I would be sad to see FM broadcast be phased-out in the U.S., but on the other side of the coin, the average sound quality and diversity of programing on the FM band has been going downhill in the U.S. for a long time... For this we can thank decades of bi-partisan congressional political support for corporate media merger mania.

On crystal radios: Fun! but caution is advised. Three main challenges/risks attendant to messing with crystal radios:

(1) building a circuit that balances sensitivity with some modicum of selectivity. Think BIG high-Q coupled tuning inductors.

(2) finding something on the AM broadcast dial one actually can stand listening to --almost impossible in 2018.

(3) not losing your mind endlessly tweaking the darned thing. Its' a "gateway drug" that can lead to a debilitating radio mania, possibly resulting in the terminal affliction of becoming a ham radio operator --Ha!

Ask me how I know..... :wink:

Amateur call sign: -KK7JD-

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 8:54 PM Post #32,015 of 153,701
Subject to change? Reword to "may never happen, or may happen in a future time so far in advance that we may have flying cars." As clearly stated in the chapter, we're talking about things that may or may not come to pass, with no specified timeframe.
Okay, I definitely understated the situation! Partially embarrassed, partially psyched to get a response from Jason. lol.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #32,016 of 153,701
So when Ragnarok comes back in stock and starts shipping June 3, it will be the old version, right?

I'm curious about this too. I've used Yggdrasil+Jotunheim for a while now, quite happily I might add, but I was looking at Ragnarok as an upgrade and saw @Jason Stoddard 's post and June 3 shipping. Is this purely due to parts availability or a re-design already taking place? I'm only interested in solid state amp for headphone use (transparency, neutrality, and speed are what I'm after).

It seems that most of the discussion so far pushes the Ragnarok more for 2ch use with a headphone capability. I would love to see a top performing solid state (dedicated) headphone amp, that is maybe spun off from Ragnarok architecture. Don't need bells and whistles. Perhaps I'm a minority here but thought I voice my preference.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:22 PM Post #32,017 of 153,701
You need to read back in the thread. Please.

No, I don't. You don't think Jason and his people are now on top of the situation? He doesn't need someone to play Captain Obvious and explain to him how things work. Jason is a smart man and, if he or his people were not on top of the FedEx situation, then, they certainly are now.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #32,018 of 153,701
I know Norway just shut down all FM broadcasting in favor of digital. I would be sad to see FM broadcast be phased-out in the U.S., but on the other side of the coin, the average sound quality and diversity of programing on the FM band has been going downhill in the U.S. for a long time...

Shutting down the FM broadcast has to rank up there with the dumbest decisions of all time. Basically the government is forcing everybody to purchase new radios for no real benefits. Hopefully the US will keep FM alive, although I agree that the program quality has been going downhill for some time. It's telling that all ClearChannel stations all broadcast commercials at the same time.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:27 PM Post #32,019 of 153,701
No, I don't. You don't think Jason and his people are now on top of the situation? He doesn't need someone to play Captain Obvious and explain to him how things work. Jason is a smart man and, if he or his people were not on top of the FedEx situation, then, they certainly are now.
I don't think Jason needs the peanut gallery to tell him what he needs either.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #32,020 of 153,701
Since our childhood days, we had been taught and guided by our parents, elders and teachers to have respect to the elders and to be polite. As infants, our brains were not yet mature enough to understand or to absorb complicated things. So, just to respect the elders and to be polite seemed as easy as bowing our heads when passing in front of them and speak politely or sweetly. So, I would bow my head as low as I could when I pass in front of the elders as a show of respect and spoke very politely to them. In our Myanmar culture and also, may be in other civilized cultures, the behaviours of the children are deemed to reflect their parentages and upbringings.
As I grew up, I began to understand that we should respect everyone who deserves to be respected though they may be younger or junior to us or in other words, have mutual respects irrespective of age. Also, I came to realize that just showing respect and speaking politely are not enough as behaviours, mentalities and attitudes also define a person’s character. Thus, such bad mannerisms should also be avoided.

• Khin Maung Myint

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #32,022 of 153,701
I'm curious about this too. I've used Yggdrasil+Jotunheim for a while now, quite happily I might add, but I was looking at Ragnarok as an upgrade and saw @Jason Stoddard 's post and June 3 shipping. Is this purely due to parts availability or a re-design already taking place? I'm only interested in solid state amp for headphone use (transparency, neutrality, and speed are what I'm after).

It seems that most of the discussion so far pushes the Ragnarok more for 2ch use with a headphone capability. I would love to see a top performing solid state (dedicated) headphone amp, that is maybe spun off from Ragnarok architecture. Don't need bells and whistles. Perhaps I'm a minority here but thought I voice my preference.
Have you thought about Mj2 with LISST? I like tubes so I can't say how close this comes to Rag, or equal or if much better it is than Jot, etc. Just thought I'd mention it and that does leave the door open for the rabbit hole tubes are.

Apr 27, 2018 at 10:01 PM Post #32,023 of 153,701
... Also, I came to realize that just showing respect and speaking politely are not enough as behaviours, mentalities and attitudes also define a person’s character. Thus, such bad mannerisms should also be avoided.
  • Khin Maung Myint
I "liked" your post as I agree with what you say, however I don't think it is right to quote Winders to introduce the subject. It would be more useful as general comment for all to heed and consider their own attitudes and behaviours.

Apr 27, 2018 at 10:04 PM Post #32,024 of 153,701
A voice of reason, well said Jimmers. Personally I am trying to figure out why Time of the Season by the Zombies sounds so much better on balanced output compared to TRS. Same source same DAC.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #32,025 of 153,701
I "liked" your post as I agree with what you say, however I don't think it is right to quote Winders to introduce the subject. It would be more useful as general comment for all to heed and consider their own attitudes and behaviours.
Point taken. His responses tone promoted me.

I should take my own advice. I will endeavor to do better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back