Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 1, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #31,007 of 155,086
Yes it's an awkward experience when one cannot explain it.
However the filters we used to build those things are normally used in operating rooms in heart/lung machines and the lot where no RF/EMF/ATF/MMB/MTV/IMF etc. is tolerated.
And that makes it easy to explain. :)

Apr 1, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #31,008 of 155,086
@Pietro Cozzi Tinin

Hey Doc, could there be any correlation to someone hearing a change as being discussed here and a placebos in medicine where the patient believes whatever they are taking is making them feel better even when it is only a sugar pill.

Something along the line of an expectation bias. You have an expectation that it will sound better to you. Therefore it does...

:beerchug:

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #31,009 of 155,086
This seems like an excellent day to fall from grace.

I have something nice to chew on for you guys. Ableza already gave me a possible explanation but I wonder if there are other explanations.
Both Pietro and I added something to our sets. A little black box containing a high(very high)end filter. In my case I also changed some powercables, but to my knowledge Pietro didn`t change a thing other than adding the box.
And hear it comes...it changed my system a little bit too much for what it was supposed to do. More bass, better separation and even some more detail. Also it changed the tone a little bit but I`m not sure that is what I hear yet.
So this leaves me with 2 options for my new faith in gear:
a. Powercables do matter
b. Cleaner power is better
Both of which are ofcourse total BS going by the opinion of many around here.
Problem is...I do hear a difference in my set for sure and I am pretty sure I heard it in Pietro`s too but we didn`t A/B it when I was there.( So that doesn`t really count.)
So explain away, what am I hearing?

You are hearing music. Or are you listening for some thing else, some thing that you want to hear? What you hope to hear. What you desire to hear. A "change", if you will. No harm in that until it becomes OCD instead of fun. If you see what has been changed and you are not objective in the observation, you may well "hear" a change. Me? If I see some thing changed that I find visually pleasing I will accept said change for what it is: subjectively pleasing. A nice looking piece of equipment is just that. A nice looking piece of equipment.

I believe I said this before so pardon me if I bore any one (and I know I shall, LOL!). I was at a show in Los Angeles where a manufacturer of cabling had a display and were asking people to give their wares a "listen". Instead of listening to music via equipment connected via their cables I simply picked up some of their stuff, held it to my ear and...listened.

I then said I could not hear the ocean and put them down and left.

But their stuff was nice looking.

The same with an Onkyo DAP with MQA. I could not hear a bit of difference and I never looked at the device to determine what version I was listening to. I simply changed the version at random and...listened to the music. Some fellow nerds stated that I "neeeeeded" to listen more "critically". FTN. If it ain't obvious it is not because I am oblivious but rather because there is no difference.

So then my friend. Enjoy the music for what it is and the equipment for delivering it to you. It is far better to be a satisfied enthusiast than a continually unhappy OCD frAudiophile who strains at a digital bit and swallows every lie they are fed by the copy typists.

Ramblin'...

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #31,010 of 155,086
Is there an April 1st in Europe?

Seriously though, on the power cord thing I always thought it was not logical given all the wiring in your walls. And then I read a theory that some interference travels only a few feet, the length of the power cord being suffecient to reject it. It's not traveling from the circuit breaker because it can't. I had a phono pre amp that would pick up a radio station but only in one spot in the room and only with the cable a certain way. I'm thinking that can be seen on a scope, even when the interference wasn't clearly audible. So it does make me wonder:smile_phones: especially with a highly resolving system and all the variables involved, though I most certainly am not advocating anything.

I do firmly believe this: If the sound field gets better, bigger, deeper, with instruments more focused and revealing you know that instantly, especially in a two channel system. Even on April 1st..... I think.

Apr 1, 2018 at 12:59 PM Post #31,011 of 155,086
I totally agree on the powercable and the cable in the wall thing. I don`t have a dedicated high-quality line coming into the house like some people I know. :)
And yes...it IS april first, but it is easter too. I really am not kidding or pranking, I do hear an improvement. And it is subtle but it affects many facets.
It is as if my little rig has more computing power. Stuff comes out better and sounds like it takes less effort.

And Toad, don`t worry. This is a DIY-experiment that is quite far removed from the high-end OCD stuff. Actually, to me it proves that you don`t need high-end super-pricey everything if you are willing to experiment.

Apr 1, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #31,012 of 155,086
Eliminating power line noise can allow your gear to perform to its specs, and the difference can be striking especially if you have been hearing the impact of noise that you thought was "normal." It's like a VEIL IS LIFTED! (tm)

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #31,014 of 155,086
@Pietro Cozzi Tinin

Hey Doc, could there be any correlation to someone hearing a change as being discussed here and a placebos in medicine where the patient believes whatever they are taking is making them feel better even when it is only a sugar pill.

Something along the line of an expectation bias. You have an expectation that it will sound better to you. Therefore it does...

:beerchug:
That could be but not on this level and without a very specific target.
And.. placebo is not only suger. The placebo effect appears on any treatment on anything.

I forgot to add. At both our places (@HumanFly and mine) people who didn't know there was something added to the system heard it immediately.
It's not a subtle upgrade either.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #31,015 of 155,086
@OldRoadToad The Castro in SF needs you.

P_20180401_111948_vHDR_On_1.jpg

Apr 1, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #31,017 of 155,086
IF there ever will be a Schiitr in Europe we will let you AB the stuff.
We can build them for others too but you have to have faith that it works.
No faith required my friend. Trust me. :wink:

Apr 1, 2018 at 3:25 PM Post #31,019 of 155,086
Just think: you built something that would functionally compete with the AudioQuest Niagara 7000 device for what, less than 1/10 the expense? Enjoy!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back