Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Feb 1, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #28,847 of 149,398
Philips automobile TT audio from the fifties.

15-06-03-HDB-Philips-01s-700x504.jpg philips-auto-mignon-car-record-player-gallery.jpg

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #28,848 of 149,398
I wonder if Schiit would be interested in cornering the market on a restart of in-car vinyl players?:)

Feb 1, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #28,851 of 149,398
RCBinTN said:
@Ragnar-BY
You could add a Freya to your Yggy-Rag system and gain a remote and, from what I've heard, some SQ too.
@Ragnor replied:
I can`t understand, how adding additional link in analog chain would make SQ better. Adding some tube-coloration - maybe, but get better SQ by adding preamp to an integrated amplifier with it own volume control? I doubt it.

My two cents:
Your logic is impeccable. However a similar issue came up with Saga and Jotty, For me the Jotty does not deliver the harmonic richness that I hear in live music. Then @ Winders suggested putting Saga in front of Jotty. Well that sounds silly as per your logic, but as I had both pieces of equipment (I run 2 channel as well as headphones) I tried it, and indeed to my ears the sound was much better--it is the only way I now use Jotty. (And I control the volume with the wonderful control from the Saga- set the Jotty volume on max.)
Of course for me the experiment cost nothing (well, a pair of interconnects), your case is different.

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #28,852 of 149,398
I have to say that I appreciate the notion that hearing differences between DACs takes some time. I recently had the Chord Mojo as a loaner for review, and compared it to the iFi nano iDSD when used purely as DACs, connected to a SYS, then into Jotunheim, listening to the Ether C Flow with a balanced DUM cable, and I simply couldn't hear any difference at all. But I only tried it a few times over the course of one day, and also wasn't used to the headphones yet (had just finished burning them in).
In contrast, I could hear a difference between using a Tripp-Lite 14 AWG power cord vs the standard 18 AWG power cord (the 14 AWG one sounds better to me), in a direct side by side comparison using two Jotunheims (and swapping the cords at one point).
Before doing this, I totally would have bet on the DACs making a bigger difference than the power cords, and wouldn't have been surprised to not hear a difference between the power cords at all.
Makes me question whether getting an Yggdrasil soon is really all that wise. I'll still do it, and will keep it turned on at all times - in the worst case there's the return policy.
I have difficulty hearing the difference between components in direct a/b comparisons. Over after listening for a while I begin to notice
I too only listen to Vinyl in my car. My turntable is on top of my dash. I am able to handle the vagaries of winter-worn Michigan roads by keeping my speed under 5 mph. You may have encountered me, leading a slow-moving procession on the interstate of angry drivers, all waving at me with one finger extended for some reason. They just love me, I guess!

5930960.jpg
Ah, the good old days of the low mass / high mass tonearm wars! And the belt drive / direct drive platter wars! And the moving coil / moving magnet wars!

The torture never stops.

Feb 1, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #28,853 of 149,398
Not that this is important, and it is completely off topic so if a mod wants to delete fine, but I've been participating here for four years now and have only one person on my "ignore" list. Not bad for a world-wide forum with thousands of members to have only one person reveal themselves as worthy of my ignore button. Congrats to everyone else!

Feb 1, 2018 at 5:05 PM Post #28,854 of 149,398
RCBinTN said:
@Ragnar-BY
You could add a Freya to your Yggy-Rag system and gain a remote and, from what I've heard, some SQ too.
@Ragnor replied:
I can`t understand, how adding additional link in analog chain would make SQ better. Adding some tube-coloration - maybe, but get better SQ by adding preamp to an integrated amplifier with it own volume control? I doubt it.

My two cents:
Your logic is impeccable. However a similar issue came up with Saga and Jotty, For me the Jotty does not deliver the harmonic richness that I hear in live music. Then @ Winders suggested putting Saga in front of Jotty. Well that sounds silly as per your logic, but as I had both pieces of equipment (I run 2 channel as well as headphones) I tried it, and indeed to my ears the sound was much better--it is the only way I now use Jotty. (And I control the volume with the wonderful control from the Saga- set the Jotty volume on max.)
Of course for me the experiment cost nothing (well, a pair of interconnects), your case is different.
I did put my Saga in Series with my Lyr2, mainly because it was easier to have all the various digital and analog sources feeding into both Vidar and Lyr2. The only thing I have to be careful of is making sure that don't make the mistake thinking the volume on one is set low, and then either mistakenly blasting my speakers or my headphones unintentionally. I did that once with the speakers and my wife was not pleased that she was made to jump and spill her coffee due to full volume Pantera.

Feb 1, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #28,855 of 149,398
I can`t say I`m against tubes, or added harmonics. I just don`t like additional components. To my ear each additional link in the chain slightly steal some small detail and the resulting sound may be good, but lacks space or 3D-feeling.

Feb 1, 2018 at 6:51 PM Post #28,856 of 149,398
Not that this is important, and it is completely off topic so if a mod wants to delete fine, but I've been participating here for four years now and have only one person on my "ignore" list. Not bad for a world-wide forum with thousands of members to have only one person reveal themselves as worthy of my ignore button. Congrats to everyone else!

Congratulations to you. You have a much higher tolerance level then moi. :smile_phones:

Feb 1, 2018 at 7:30 PM Post #28,857 of 149,398
Well stated @Ableza.
Your post makes me rejoice in our collective forum.
We learn so much here!
We even contribute input to Schiit Audio's business model...how cool is that!
Keep it going, friends.
And, thanks to Jason and Mike for listening and for your tolerance :)

Feb 1, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #28,858 of 149,398
You think Schiit is for people in the real world? Give me a break.(snippy)
Wot...? we're aliens...? Who'da thunk....?

I wouldn't mind having a Schitt car audio amp...
All car audio amps are schiit amps - or, is that moist brown...?

What...? Ignore lists....? Where's the fun in that...?

Feb 2, 2018 at 12:03 AM Post #28,859 of 149,398
5 on mine, all from this and the digital Schiit thread. I guess I’ve got a bit more “Get Off My Lawn!” going on that you do.... people often tell me I’m a nice guy when I’m not around.....

Feb 2, 2018 at 12:04 AM Post #28,860 of 149,398
So if the magni 3 was the asgard 3 prototype, then safe to say the magni 3 is better??
Darn you schiit, I was already to pull the trigger on the asgard, but your saying I should just get the magni 3??
Better power for Senn hd650s???

Does anyone own both amps that can do a characteristics comparison? $250 is still cheap enough, if it warrants some sonic benefit, I don't want to just assume $99 is better. I have vali 2 and would like to lose the tube hassle.

Thks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back